• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and Political Idealism

Hello there!

Religion has been a part of our lives since the dawn of Mankind and its first steps towards a thousand years of history; and because of this, religion pervades everywhere in our existence - especially in the political sphere. Religion and ideals, especially in politics, have something in common as they both shape and influence our values, beliefs, and the decisions we make in our collective journey through history.

Which brings me to a question:
How does your religion in general affects your political ideals and viewpoints? What tenets [you may also cite your scriptures] of the religion influenced your politics?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Does this mean you lean into pacifism (and quite possibly, non-interventionism) as a Buddhist?
This actually intrigues me.
How do you reconcile the concept of Ahimsa into the political sphere?
Not really a pacifist. Sometimes it does more harm to do nothing than something.

Overall, I'm not a terribly political person. I vote for who I believe will do the least harm. In day to day life, I keep my political opinions largely to myself and try to encourage friendly feelings rather than divisive ones. The combative mode many around me operate in, in my opinion, causes as much harm as wayward politicians these days.

(Hindu, by the way. :) But, Buddhists also observe ahimsa.)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
TZEDEK, TZEDEK TIRDOF
Justice, Justice shall you pursue
Deuteronomy 16:20

When strangers reside with you in your land, you shall not wrong them.The strangers who reside with you shall be to you as your citizens; you shall love each one as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I יהוה am your God.
Leviticus 19:33-34

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Well for one thing I cannot vote anymore. Evil is evil in its own right and not made good or evil by whoever gives it. This means that supporting a lesser evil is still willingly supporting evil, validating a system that promotes evil.

Audie

Veteran Member
Hello there!

Religion has been a part of our lives since the dawn of Mankind and its first steps towards a thousand years of history; and because of this, religion pervades everywhere in our existence - especially in the political sphere. Religion and ideals, especially in politics, have something in common as they both shape and influence our values, beliefs, and the decisions we make in our collective journey through history.

Which brings me to a question:
How does your religion in general affects your political ideals and viewpoints? What tenets [you may also cite your scriptures] of the religion influenced your politics?
Idealists, whatever ideology motivates them
are a disaster when they get power

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Well for one thing I cannot vote anymore. Evil is evil in its own right and not made good or evil by whoever gives it. This means that supporting a lesser evil is still willingly supporting evil, validating a system that promotes evil.
Sadly, this is the case for many that throw in the towel because they can't, in good conscience, vote for the nominee for either of the two dominant parties, and they know that a third party candidate doesn't stand a chance.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Sadly, this is the case for many that throw in the towel because they can't, in good conscience, vote for the nominee for either of the two dominant parties, and they know that a third party candidate doesn't stand a chance.
I wish all the people that would like to vote third party just did it one year...

I think we'd be looking at a whole new political world.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How does your religion in general affects your political ideals and viewpoints?

Well, my religion is who and whose I am - it is not compartmentalized like how many in my surrounding culture tend to view religion. So unless I'm pretending to be someone else and someone else's for some reason it impacts everything.

What tenets [you may also cite your scriptures] of the religion influenced your politics?

Contemporary Paganism (including Druidry) isn't really based on creeds or tenants and doesn't have scriptures - it's more about what you do, who you are, whose you are. My tradition is explicitly ecology-centered and locality-centered. As such my number one consideration has been the greater-than-human world. My tradition is also curiosity-driven and learning-driven. As such my number two consideration has been supporting the fine arts, sciences, and education.

Audie

Veteran Member
If you are not responsible, you are irresponsible.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I'm not convinced the 3rd party is any better at this point. It's all one party, the stay rich and in power party.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It is a problem.

I know so many who say "I'd vote [third party candidate], but they don't have a chance... Think what would happen if they all did! :D
If they all did it'd probably still be spread out among multiple third party platforms with widely varying goals that don't have the financial or networking pull to do much of anything even if they got something approaching a popular vote.

But that 'we may live in crony capitalism where voting is the least impactful form of civil action' downer is for another thread. xD