• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and Political Idealism

Audie

Veteran Member
I don't understand your point.
You are part of society.
What is there's wrong doing?
If yiu look away, take no role,
say and do nothing you can try saying
I didn't know, I didn't see, I am not responsible.

And it will be true, you did not behave as a
responsible member of society.

As in irresponsible.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
You are part of society.
What is there's wrong doing?
If yiu look away, take no role,
say and do nothing you can try saying
I didn't know, I didn't see, I am not responsible.
I agree. This is the vast majority of our society, for instance when they pretend a lesser evil is not still evil and thus end up encouraging evil. To just keep mindlessly engaging on the charade of voting it to look away and say/do nothing. It's to support the facade we have in place.
And it will be true, you did not behave as a
responsible member of society.

As in irresponsible.
I'm not sure we have much responsibility to society outside our closest circles. But I guess I do feel one which somewhat drives my desire to get people to strive for something better.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
How does your religion in general affects your political ideals and viewpoints? What tenets [you may also cite your scriptures] of the religion influenced your politics?
Meher Baba indicated From my point of view, all religions are great; but God is greater. In the same way, all political parties are, in their own way, noble, at least in their consciously accepted objectives. But the claims of the Undivided and Indivisible Life are irresistibly supreme, and, as such, greater than those of any party, howsoever noble.

Politics are a field of duality and conflict. Sometimes action is needed in the political sphere and we certainly need to vote. Knowing how flawed politics and politicians are, my support and vote go to those who are closer at least publicly to my ideal that how we treat the Earth and how we treat the "least" are important. Along with that, I see large differences in ethics and morality between political party and politicians. If a politician is not held accountable for his words and deeds, then I know I can have zero trust in such people and party.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
Hello there!

Religion has been a part of our lives since the dawn of Mankind and its first steps towards a thousand years of history; and because of this, religion pervades everywhere in our existence - especially in the political sphere. Religion and ideals, especially in politics, have something in common as they both shape and influence our values, beliefs, and the decisions we make in our collective journey through history.

Which brings me to a question:
How does your religion in general affects your political ideals and viewpoints? What tenets [you may also cite your scriptures] of the religion influenced your politics?
There is some congruence between the doctrines of my religion and the laws of the nation in which I live (US), but I am careful to compartmentalize my religious interests from my civil interests. I disagree with political cliches like "Vote your values." That's nonsense. Vote the law.

That being said, in a society in which the law is not just, voting one's values can be necessary, so long as one's values, if made law, would bring justness to the law.

How does your religion in general affects your political ideals and viewpoints?

Well, my religion is who and whose I am - it is not compartmentalized like how many in my surrounding culture tend to view religion. So unless I'm pretending to be someone else and someone else's for some reason it impacts everything.

What tenets [you may also cite your scriptures] of the religion influenced your politics?

Contemporary Paganism (including Druidry) isn't really based on creeds or tenants and doesn't have scriptures - it's more about what you do, who you are, whose you are. My tradition is explicitly ecology-centered and locality-centered. As such my number one consideration has been the greater-than-human world. My tradition is also curiosity-driven and learning-driven. As such my number two consideration has been supporting the fine arts, sciences, and education.
I see; a very unique perspective for a Druid when it comes to politics.
Does it mean (for you) that individual actions correlate with political ideals?
Meher Baba indicated From my point of view, all religions are great; but God is greater. In the same way, all political parties are, in their own way, noble, at least in their consciously accepted objectives. But the claims of the Undivided and Indivisible Life are irresistibly supreme, and, as such, greater than those of any party, howsoever noble.

Politics are a field of duality and conflict. Sometimes action is needed in the political sphere and we certainly need to vote. Knowing how flawed politics and politicians are, my support and vote go to those who are closer at least publicly to my ideal that how we treat the Earth and how we treat the "least" are important. Along with that, I see large differences in ethics and morality between political party and politicians. If a politician is not held accountable for his words and deeds, then I know I can have zero trust in such people and party.
Another unique perspective; every political dimension [i.e. ideology, party, et cetera] is noble, but the people behind the politics - this is an area of concern.

However, what's striking is both of you focus on another thing: the caring of the world as an ideal - for the Earth is our home, and our political stances must be focused on the world that we live in.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Does it mean (for you) that individual actions correlate with political ideals?
I don't hold others to my own standards, if that's what you're asking, but as the saying goes actions speak louder than words. I don't much care what other humans believe - I care what they do with that (which isn't straightforward).