• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and science...enemies or friends ?!

maro

muslimah
Talking about the islamic point of view ,
Religion and science are the most intimate friends ,
and the more we get to know the universe around us , the more we submit to the great power controlling this huge universe in a perfectly organized way ,

and the more we fear God ,and avoid oppressing our brothers in humanity

and i think that science , may be the enemy of superstition, but it can never replace our deep need for that spiritual relation with god,

and can never answer our ,deep quetions about the origin , purpose , and fate of life

it can never , prevent us from following the (survival for the stongest )rule , which caused death and suffering to millions , if not billions of people , in the so called ,Modern civilization

i would like to know , to what extent you agree or disagree with that

Bishka

Veteran Member
As a religious person and as one who is interested in the studies of the world, I would hope that science and religion could become friends. In my mind, they already are, but there are those out there that vehemently disagree.

Booko

Deviled Hen
This is very much how Baha'i Writings address things, maro.

Science and religion are like the two wings of a bird. Without one of them, it's difficult to fly.

As you say, without science we end up with superstition. Without religion, we end up putting our knowledge to destructive uses.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Booko said:
Without religion, we end up putting our knowledge to destructive uses.

I hate to challenge this because I wish it were true. But perhaps we shouldn't think that religion prevents us from putting our knowledge to destructive uses. For instance:

How did Christianity prevent America from building the bomb?
How did Judaism prevent Isreal from building the bomb?
How did Islam prevent Pakistan from building the bomb?
How did Hinduism prevent India from building the bomb?

Again, America is the most religious of the industrialized nations, but how has our religion stopped us from using our knowledge to pollute our lands, consume resources at a non-sustainable rate, and create Global Warming?

Again, how did Islam prevent terrorists from using technologies to attack innocent people in New York, attack innocent people in Madrid, or attack innocent people in London?

Please note: I am not blaming religion for these things. I am instead asking why religion didn't prevent these and many other evils if religion can be said to, in any significant way, prevent us from putting our knowledge to destructive uses?

maro

muslimah
May be those people are not truely religious ,Phil
religion is not about what is written in one's ID ,or what feasts we celebrate , or how we dress

it's about that deep feeling and conciousness ,with the creator , that truely affects our lives ,and changes our priorities in it

and i am sure, that if we truely become religious , we will have much more tolerance and peace in our lives

Anti-World

One must fear the man that has no conscience.
God doesn't speak to me and no supernatural event has ever happened in my life. I have no religious community to go to and I keep finding more and more every day that religion and science are both seperated.
Science is biased against religion and religion rarely uses good science.
One must ask themselves how they would act if they didn't just do what society told us. What purpose is there in this world aside from what we are taught?
There is a painfully predictable religious feeling of, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." yet this logic is ultimately based on nothing because I could change what I want others to do to me and therefore treat others differently. Morals, therefore, are not scientific or logical and every time that a human being is moral for no reason other than the way they are taught than they are simply proving that we are nothing but animals. Blindly following some naturally evelutionary path and feeding our desire to survive.
Beleif is a lie and beleif is found in both science and religion. Until we open our minds science and religion will both be enemies.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Booko said:

Science and religion are like the two wings of a bird. Without one of them, it's difficult to fly.

As you say, without science we end up with superstition. Without religion, we end up putting our knowledge to destructive uses.

Booko, If you propel the bird fast enough, it doesn't need wings at all...:D but it wouldn't fly straight...

It would fly fowl.:)

oh yeah, and I think science and religion will have to agree one day. yes?

Science is impartial. Its not friends or enemies with anyone, rather, it is simply the persuit of true understanding.

Religion is the opposite. It is partial to whatever is convinient, and is the persuit of understanding without a question of validity or reason.

XAAX

maro said:

Science and Religion are 2 sides to the same coin. Just 2 different perspectives...science and religion both should strengthen your understanding for God and the Universe...For they are One

standing_on_one_foot

Science and religion aren't either. Now, whether scientists and religious people can agree or find common ground or be the same person is another question, and certainly the two can coexist. It's more a matter of what people believe and think to begin with than whether either institution likes the other.

zoro

Maro: You state and request "I think that science... can never answer our deep questions about the origin, purpose, and fate of life. It can never prevent us from following the survival-for-the-strongest rule... I would like to know, to what extent you agree or disagree with that." Although I can't adequately convey my reasons in a reasonable space here [I try to do so in a huge (free!) book which you can find using the search word "zenofzero"], yet let me try to summarize my view in a single paragraph.

I disagree with your above-quoted statements for the following reasons: 1) Science already suggests that the origin of the entire universe was some symmetry-breaking fluctuation in a total void, leading to the Big Bang; surely in a hundred years from now, humanity will know much more about how the universe began. 2) As for the origin of life on Earth, science already suggests that it started when the first molecule "learned" how to replicate itself, leading eventually to the DNA molecule and the evolution of all life. 3) As for the "purpose" of life, science needn't contribute much: all life screams its purpose, namely, to continue. 4) Re. preventing humans from following the law of the jungle ("might makes right"), studies in behavioral sciences are already helping (and in the future, I have no doubt, will help even more) to steer humanity toward more justice, peace, and prosperity (leading to a rule of "bright beats brawn"). Thereby, 5), I suspect, the "fate of life" (at least in our small corner of the universe) will be ever-increasing use of intelligence to help each person to realize his or her potential, to help one another, and to explore the universe -- provided that we don't destroy this wonderful world, e.g., in the process of promoting some religion.

Thus, in contrast to what I perceive to be your opinion, my view is that what's holding humanity back from such progress is, in a large measure, the untestable proposition that any god exists or has ever existed. Associated with that view, I consider the worst possible basis for any philosophy to be "fear" -- which is backbone of all religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, etc.) derived from Zoroaster's data-less speculations about the nature of the universe and humanity's role within it. Better, by far, is to base any philosophy on hope -- not for individuals reaching some fictitious paradise, but for the continued evolution of all forms of intelligence.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Booko said:

I agree entirely, and before people object too loudly, the history of Christian faith conflicting with science is a relatively recent one (by Orthodox standards of what's recent, in any case). If you actually look to the works of early Church Fathers it's very common to see them using the science of their day with absolutely no sense that the two conflicted. I just find it odd that modern Christians' appreciation of science seems to be constrained by a weirdly medieval attitude to it.

James

maro

muslimah
zoro said:
Maro: You state and request "I think that science... can never answer our deep questions about the origin, purpose, and fate of life. It can never prevent us from following the survival-for-the-strongest rule... I would like to know, to what extent you agree or disagree with that." Although I can't adequately convey my reasons in a reasonable space here [I try to do so in a huge (free!) book which you can find using the search word "zenofzero"], yet let me try to summarize my view in a single paragraph.

I disagree with your above-quoted statements for the following reasons: 1) Science already suggests that the origin of the entire universe was some symmetry-breaking fluctuation in a total void, leading to the Big Bang; surely in a hundred years from now, humanity will know much more about how the universe began. 2) As for the origin of life on Earth, science already suggests that it started when the first molecule "learned" how to replicate itself, leading eventually to the DNA molecule and the evolution of all life. 3) As for the "purpose" of life, science needn't contribute much: all life screams its purpose, namely, to continue. 4) Re. preventing humans from following the law of the jungle ("might makes right"), studies in behavioral sciences are already helping (and in the future, I have no doubt, will help even more) to steer humanity toward more justice, peace, and prosperity (leading to a rule of "bright beats brawn"). Thereby, 5), I suspect, the "fate of life" (at least in our small corner of the universe) will be ever-increasing use of intelligence to help each person to realize his or her potential, to help one another, and to explore the universe -- provided that we don't destroy this wonderful world, e.g., in the process of promoting some religion.

Thus, in contrast to what I perceive to be your opinion, my view is that what's holding humanity back from such progress is, in a large measure, the untestable proposition that any god exists or has ever existed. Associated with that view, I consider the worst possible basis for any philosophy to be "fear" -- which is backbone of all religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, etc.) derived from Zoroaster's data-less speculations about the nature of the universe and humanity's role within it. Better, by far, is to base any philosophy on hope -- not for individuals reaching some fictitious paradise, but for the continued evolution of all forms of intelligence.

Are u telling me that just because science made some suggestions (which can't be proved) about the origin of the universe and the origin of life on earth , this is enough and satisfactory for u ?
but how can u explain the "perfection" and " Beauty" in the universe around us , one doesn't need to be an astronomer or a biologist to figure that out ,
doesn't that tell u something about the great power controlling this universe ,
doesn't that make u think we r here for a purpose , not just to live for a while , and then die forever

I don't want to be rude , but i couldn't help laughing when you said that behavioral science will be able to steer humanity to peace and justice oneday ,
How is that ? ,are they going to invent pills for mercy and morals?
you say u don't believe in god , but actually you are making science itself a god

you also said that fear is the backbone of all religions ,
and i 'll talk only about my religion , and let others talk about theirs

For islam ,it's not fear only , it's a balanced state between fear and hope ,
if you r having an exam , what makes u study for it ?
it is because u fear you will get bad grade ,and you hope to get the full mark ,
this balanced state of fear and hope is the only thing that made you resist temptations , and stick to your study place for 10 or 12 hours ,

the same thing here ,we are here to know god , submit to him ,and to fight against our greed and evil ,
that's why we need that balanced state of fear and hope to achieve what we r created for,

we also need guidance from god about what is moral and what is not , because we can't know even this by ourselves ,

and why the existense of paradise ( or hellfire ) seems fictious to you ,
the one who created this huge perfectly organized universe , with all its stars , planets , seas , animals , cell ,and atoms , why can't he create a paradise for those who found their true path in life ?

zoro

Well, that's quite a bit to respond to. I'll quote you and then respond, step by step.

"Are u telling me that just because science made some suggestions (which can't be proved) about the origin of the universe and the origin of life on earth , this is enough and satisfactory for u ?"

Well, two obvious options are: 1) dream up some myth about how the universe was created (such as all the myths in all the "holy books"), or 2) apply the scientific method to learn as much as one can. So, yes, I choose the second method -- for at least it's a method by which one can "prove" what's wrong (e.g., all the myths in all the "holy books").

"but how can u explain the 'perfection' and 'Beauty' in the universe around us , one doesn't need to be an astronomer or a biologist to figure out that ,"

As someone else said, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Similarly seems generally to apply to "perfection". For example, I consider some sunrises, some flowers, and my grandchildren to be 'beautiful' -- and generally speaking, I can "explain" them.

"doesn't that [I presume you mean all the 'perfection' and 'Beauty'] tell u something about the great power controlling this universe"

Well, it depends on what you mean by "great power". For me, the sunrise "tells" me the scattering of light varies inversely with the fourth power of the wave length and therefore red light is scattered less than blue (demonstrating the "great power" of Maxwell's equations of electrodynamics); the beauty of some flowers "tells" me that natural selection stimulated the flower's DNA molecule to present an appearance especially attractive to pollinating insects (and therefore, the "great power" of evolution); and when it comes to the beauty and perfection of my grandchildren, it "tells" me of the "great power" of personal bias.

"doesn't that make u think we r here for a purpose , not just to live for a while , and then die forever"

Go easy! "Just to live for a while" is a very significant purpose! The DNA molecule "learned" (by natural selection) that its temporary hosts are rather insignificant. Much more important (to the DNA's continuance) is to "scramble" the DNA every generation (i.e., promote sexual reproduction) both to test out if new versions can better survive changing environmental conditions and to thwart the damnable viruses that "figure out" how to crack the old DNA code (and like all clerics, live off their hosts as parasites). Meanwhile, most people (unfortunately but understandably) consider themselves much more important than as "just" a temporary host of the DNA molecule, but for those who think so, I wish that they'd consider the realistic alternative (i.e., being nothing at all!) -- rather than consider themselves so important that the imagined creator of the universe, HIMself, is passionately interested in them! As someone else said, such religious nonsense is egotism gone beserk.

"I don't want to be rude , but i couldn't help laughing when you said that behavioral science will be able to steer humanity to peace and justice one day , How is that ? ,are they going to invent pills for mercy and morals?"

Well, rather than laugh more, you may wish to investigate what is meant by "behavioral sciences" (anthropology, biology, criminology, ecology, economics,… psychology, psychiatry, political science, social science,....). It's a huge challenge to determine scientifically why people behave as they do, e.g., willingly run from reality to believe in some giant Jabberwock in the sky, even though not a single shred of data supports such silliness.

"you say u don't believe in god ,"

Well, actually, I doubt very much that I wrote that. Instead (as I demonstrate in my free, online book at www.zenofzero.net), I estimate the probability of any god to be very much less than 1 chance in a google (i.e., less than one chance in 10^100 -- and probably closer to one chance in 10^500). Thereby, I acknowledge the possibility of the existence of some god -- but after spending a lifetime doing scientific research, it's the smallest probability that I've ever encountered. Thereby, the idea of any god would really not be worth a second thought -- were it not for the terrible harm that all organized religions have done (and continue to do) to humanity, and therefore, the great need to eradicate all of them.

"but actually you are making science itself a god"

Well, you'll need to define what you mean by "god". I would however agree with the assessment made by M.M. Mangasarian: "Religion is the science of children; science is the religion of adults."

"you also said that fear is the backbone of all religions ,
and i 'll talk only about my religion , and let others talk about theirs For islam ,it's not fear only , it's a balanced state between fear and hope ,"

Well, for one, I was using the word "fear", alone, because that's what you did in your original post. Recall your: "the more we fear God". But otherwise, if you'll look into the principal "holy books", you'll see that they're loaded with threats, stimulating fear (e.g., of "eternal punishment"). The original form of Judaism (before being influenced by Zoroaster's silliness) was better (no Hell to fear), but even it had such stupidity as "Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." In reality, the beginning of wisdom is to not "believe" in anything supported by zero data and to dismiss any idea as meaningless when that's what it is, e.g., the meaningless idea "God exists".

"if you r having an exam , what makes u study for it ? it is because u fear you will get bad grade ,and you hope to get the full mark or close , this balanced state of fear and hope is the only thing that made you fight temptations , and stick to your study place for 10 or 12 hours ,"

Although data are available to support your assessment, yet on the one hand, it's a pity that you've been conditioned to accept that life is like studying for an exam (recall: "life isn't a problem to solve -- but a happening, to experience") and on the other hand, what I hope for you is that someday, soon, you will choose to study for 10 or 12 hours per day not because you're worried about an exam or threatened in some other manner, but because you want to learn.

"the same thing here ,we are here to know god , submit to him ,and to fight against our greed and evil , that's why we need that balanced state of fear and hope to achieve what we r created for,"

I'm sorry that you've been indoctrinated to "believe" such nonsense; I hope that, on your own, you'll soon be able to find a better way to live what all evidence suggests is this sole opportunity that you'll have to experience your existence. But simultaneously I'd urge you not to worry about your own death (although do try to postpone it as long as possible!), for as I wrote in one of the poems in my book, "you can't be aware of a lack of awareness."

"we also need guidance from god about what is moral and what is not , because we can't know even this by ourselves ,"

Actually, studies in behavioral science have shown not only that such a claim is wrong but also that it's quite stupid. As a single example from a selection of thousands (if not millions), dolphins swim underneath their wounded cousins, lifting them to the surface periodically, so they can breathe. Possibly your "spiritual advisor" (i.e., the one who earns a living just by telling stories rather than engaging in physical or mental labor) will tell you that some giant Jabberwock in the sky came down and wrote some "Dolphin Commandments" on some seashell or something, but consider the possibility that social animals (such as dolphins, monkeys, and people) discovered over thousands if not millions of generations that such behavior was beneficial for survival of their species; thus by nature and by nurture, we acquire such "moral codes" -- which the fellow collecting the money claims was given to us by his god (and therefore, the cleric wants his "cut").

"and why the existense of paradise ( or hellfire ) seems fictious to you"

That's a simple question to answer: not only because I haven't seen even the tiniest shred of data to support such silly speculations but also because obviously such ideas are very useful for the clerics of the world to profit from the world's largest and longest-running con game -- making me highly suspicious that all the clerics of the world are truly "making a killing" (including killing of those who call their bluffs) by duping the poor people who are indoctrinated since they were children in "believing" such silliness.

"the one who created this huge perfectly organized universe , with all its stars , planets , seas , animals , cell ,and atoms , why can't he create a paradise for those who found their true path in life ?"

Well, if there were such a god (but recall the estimate of the probability that such an animal exists), then I'd grant you that HE might be able to pull off such a stunt. But meanwhile, getting back to reality, what data support such silliness? Further, what data support your speculation that the universe was created by some "one" --rather than having created itself via a symmetry-breaking fluctuations in a total void. As I show in my book, the scientific support for the second alternative is quite compelling.

[And as a postscript, perhaps I should mention that I do entertain the possibility that you live in a Muslim family (and/or a Muslim country) and therefore you possibly feel it to be necessary to write what you did (for fear of the con-artist clerics demanding that you be killed as an apostate, i.e., one who could potentially ruin their con game). If so, best wishes in your struggles to remain true to yourself.]

Anti-World

You talk alot about probability, zoro, and this is discussed in-depth in the book "The G.O.D. Experiments" by Gary E. Schwartz PH.D. and it is something you should really consider reading.

While I agree the possibility is slim that a God exists the alternative of living and dying in a void is incredibly frightening to me. Perhaps I've been conditioned to beleiving in an afterlife and that it will fade over time but at the moment it's really hard for me to let go of the hope of seeing my loved ones again.

I also have to ask you how matter seemed to pop into existence quite literally in the Big Bang. What do you think the probability is of something randomly appearing from nothing? Did matter always exist? If so, how is that possible?

I am also wondering what drives nature to progress? Why do life forms all try to survive and develop? What created the laws that govern the universe? We know what matter does but we have no idea why. Everything in this universe has a purpose so what is the purpose of matter first existing?

There's is so many questions I can't answer so I don't know why scientists are so quick to throw out the theory about God. You yourself, zoro, seem to be at odds with religion.

One final point is what really makes the world around us real? If we hear voices in our head that no one else can hear is it any less real if it was created from our own head? Not really. In short, much of reality is how we percieve it and religion can play a vital role in that.

zoro

Anti-World: I'll try to respond, point by point -- and in two parts, to try to overcome the word restriction per post.

"You talk a lot about probability, zoro, and this is discussed in-depth in the book "The G.O.D. Experiments" by Gary E. Schwartz PH.D. and it is something you should really consider reading."

Thank you; I'll look into it -- although there's so much that I know I "should" read! If you'll look at my book (in Chapters Ih & Ii at www.zenofzero.net), you'll see that I do address some of the mistakes in Stephen Unwin's book "The Probability of God".

"While I agree the possibility is slim that a God exists the alternative of living and dying in a void is incredibly frightening to me. Perhaps I've been conditioned to beleiving in an afterlife and that it will fade over time but at the moment it's really hard for me to let go of the hope of seeing my loved ones again."

Oh, I know what you mean. I remember when maybe I was in my 30s. Every-so-often, I'd wake up in the middle of the night with what I call a "death scare". It was overwhelmingly -- in my mind I'd be screaming to myself "What am I doing! Soon I'll be totally gone!" But two changes seem to have occurred, and I don't know which one was more important. One is "just" becoming older: by the time I was in my 50s, the death scare seemed to disappear. Now that I'm almost 70, my death no longer seems significant.

And the second change was coming to the realization (maybe in my 40s) that being afraid of death was rather silly: one can't be aware of a lack of awareness. I subsequently found that Epicurus (341 - 270 BCE) had come to a similar conclusion (and I agree with Jefferson that Epicurus left us with the best of Ancient Greek ideas about life):

"[It follows that] death is nothing to us. For all good and evil consist in sensation, but death is deprivation of sensation. And therefore a right understanding that death is nothing to us makes the mortality of life enjoyable, not because it adds to it an infinite span of time, but because it takes away the craving for immortality. For there is nothing terrible in life for the man who has truly comprehended that there is nothing terrible in not living… [Death should not] concern either the living or the dead, since for the former it is not, and the latter are no more."

In particular with respect to your "it's really hard for me to let go of the hope of seeing my loved ones again", I know what you mean. I remember (poorly) a line from a Star Trek episode, something similar to: "They continue to be alive so long as we remember them." And thus for me, even Epicurus and Jefferson continue.

"I also have to ask you how matter seemed to pop into existence quite literally in the Big Bang. What do you think the probability is of something randomly appearing from nothing? Did matter always exist? If so, how is that possible?"

Oh, wow, I readily admit to my incompetence in estimating that probability. As far as I know, no one else has succeeded, either. In my book (e.g., in Chapter G), I took the value to be 10^(-40), but I admitted (and still admit) that I was just pulling a number out of my hat (to make the probability that I could ever be born the "nice, round number" 10^(-100). I wouldn't be surprised if, someday, the probability for a universe to pop into existence from nothing is found to be closer to 10^(-100).

As for the "something randomly appearing from nothing" [and as I posted somewhere (!) on another thread, and address even in the first chapter of my book], be careful: your (reasonable!) premiss is that there's something here! But if you look into the details, it appears that, in fact, what's here, in total, still sums to exactly zero. That is, essentially certainly there's no electrical charge and no momentum (linear or angular) in this universe, but also, maybe more surprisingly, apparently there's no energy. Thus, if you'll count all mass as "congealed positive energy" via E = mc^2, then all the positive energy cancels all the negative energy that's in what-we-call "space" or "the vacuum". [I show details in Chapter A, referencing papers by Tryon and by Guth and the popular book on time by Hawking. And actually, it's all consistent with the first principle of thermodynamics, i.e., the conservation of mass-energy -- if it can be extrapolated to the entire universe.]

So, in response to your question: No -- it seems as if matter didn't always exist. I expect that, as a result of some symmetry-breaking fluctuation in the original "total void", the original "total nothingness" (or zero) split itself into positive and negative "somethings", S, as in 0 = S - S or equivalently 0 = (A - A) + (B - B) + (C - C)..., where all those A's, B's, etc., were the precursors to what we now call mass-space; particles-antiparticles; positive and negative charges, etc. Incidentally, such is part of the reason why the title of my book and my domain name contain "Zen of Zero".

"I am also wondering what drives nature to progress? Why do life forms all try to survive and develop?"

Well, I think the answer is the obvious one: those that didn't, are no longer here. It reminds me of what some archaeologist said: "all that we study is either extinct or has evolved" -- which carries a powerful lesson for humanity, especially for all people holding rigidly to their religions.

"What created the laws that govern the universe? We know what matter does but we have no idea why."

There's a recent paper by Guth (which I reference in Chapter A) that comments on that question. Roughly paraphrasing him, the suggestion is that if, "in reality" (!), there are "multiverses" (as suggested by string and brane models) -- and if I recall correctly, the latest estimate is that there could be ~10^(500) other "universes" (or multiverses) "out there" -- then in them, hugely different "laws of nature" could apply, including different numbers of dimensions! But apparently, only for those "verses" (meaning "turns") that have "laws" similar to those in "our verse" could life (roughly as we know it!) develop.

"Everything in this universe has a purpose so what is the purpose of matter first existing?"

Ouch! Careful there. As far as I know, nothing but life has a purpose -- which is the obvious one, i.e., to continue. Otherwise, rocks (for example) seem totally purposeless. Thus, there's no evidence that there's any "purpose of matter first existing". As Tryon wrote (in his 1974 Nature article):

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happens from time to time."

But I do suggest another ("far out"!) possibility -- even though it goes against the basic grain of science. [As you probably know, science has found it much more profitable to try to answer "how questions" rather than "why questions" -- but sometimes individual scientists stray -- at our own peril!] Thus, perhaps "the purpose" of the universe, now, is to try to reassemble "the total nothingness". For example, maybe such "nothingness" is what's inside Black Holes, where maybe positive energy (e.g., mass) and negative energy (space) is smashed together again, to re-form zero!

In my book, I chase that speculation for at least a little way. To me, this (dangerous!) speculation about the "purpose of the universe" leads to the suggestion that gravity isn't a force of attraction between two masses. [Besides, I admit that I never understood "why" such attraction should occur -- and Einstein's idea that it isn't an attraction but a warping of space-time by the presence of mass didn't help either, because I was then stuck with "Yah -- but why would mass warp space-time?] Instead, it suggests (at least to me!) that gravity is "space" pushing mass away (which is something that does seem to "make sense" to me -- and of course that idea leads to the same formula for the gravitational force as proposed by Newton. I ain't dumb enough to ignore all the data supporting that!). But again, that's "far out"!

zoro

Anti-world (continuing):

"There's so many questions I can't answer so I don't know why scientists are so quick to throw out the theory about God."

Well, scientists "throw out" the speculation that any God exists not only because it's an untestable "hypothesis" (and summarizing zero data, easily eliminated by Occam's razor, conflicting with established scientific principles such as cause and effect,...) but also because (if you'll look at it closely, which I try to do in my book), you'll find that the statement "God exists" is meaningless. In brief: 'existence' is a concept that can be defined only phenomenologically (e.g., to determine if a brick wall 'exists', keep banging your head against it until you're willing to accept its existence as a "useful working hypothesis"). Meanwhile, though, the clerics of the world maintain that their gods can't be examined phenomenologically (e.g., see Pope John Paul's silly "proof" for the existence of his god), and such precludes any tests for existence!

"You yourself, zoro, seem to be at odds with religion."

Oh yes, very much so -- but not (of course) because I'm opposed to individuals feeling unity with the universe and feeling love for and empathy, unity, etc. with other humans and other life-forms (feeling that I promote in myself with my own meditation scheme, outlined in my book). Also, it doesn't matter to me that so many people have adopted such silly science; as Mangasarian said: "Religion is the science of children; science is the religions of adults." Instead, my "beef" with [organized] religions is the horrible personal and social policies that the lame-brained (childish) clerics promote, by capitalizing (in the sense of a con game) on two of the prime drives of all humans: fear and hope. As an example of literally millions, think of those poor deluded Muslims who flew those planes into the Twin Towers. Then, maybe you'll join me in damning to hell the damnable clerics who drove the poor, brainwashed kids into killing themselves (and so many others), "thinking" that what they were doing was "right" and trying to get into the clerics' fantasy land.

"One final point is what really makes the world around us real? If we hear voices in our head that no one else can hear is it any less real if it was created from our own head? Not really. In short, much of reality is how we percieve it and religion can play a vital role in that."

Well, be careful in defining the word 'real'. Yes, our thoughts are 'real' (in the sense of being electrical-chemical signals in our brains), but that doesn't mean that other observers will agree that, what each of us thinks about, corresponds to something 'real' external to our minds (in the sense of their being able to come to agreement about corresponding existences). Thus, I can think that all invisible flying elephants are pink (and can have them flying around, all over the place, in my mind!), whereas trouble makers that some people are, they maintain that they're all blue!

And I wouldn't mind even that. As Isaac Asimov said (about a similar matter, here only paraphrased, and restricted to those cases in which people don't use other people, especially children): "I don't care what perversion people practice in their privacy of their own homes" (or in their own minds). But I do care, substantially, about all the damnable people who plan to kill me because I say that all invisible flying elephants are pink. And thus, again, see some of the horrors of all organized religions (i.e., those in which clerics are involved, unlike the religions promoted by Zoroaster and Jesus). In turn, such horrors are derived from basing opinions on zero data.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
maro said:
Religion and science are the most intimate friends ,
I agree with this.

But disagree with just about all the rest, especially the part about having to fear God:

maro said:
and the more we get to know the universe around us , the more we submit to the great power controlling this huge universe in a perfectly organized way ,

and the more we fear God ,and avoid oppressing our brothers in humanity

and i think that science , may be the enemy of superstition, but it can never replace our deep need for that spiritual relation with god,

and can never answer our ,deep quetions about the origin , purpose , and fate of life

it can never , prevent us from following the (survival for the stongest )rule , which caused death and suffering to millions , if not billions of people , in the so called ,Modern civilization

I don't believe we need to live in fear of God in order to treat each other humanely. In fact, I think it's that fear of God coupled with the arrogance of thinking only one religion has the only truth of God that has time and again allowed people to subject others to unspeakable horror.