• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion And Violence

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see no reason to believe we are quite that helpless. Or evil.

You have no reason the world is quite that helpless or evil? I did not say it is helpless. I have implied it is refusing help. Do you believe there are good people who can do no evil?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You have no reason the world is quite that helpless or evil?

Yes, I have no such reason.

I did not say it is helpless. I have implied it is refusing help.

Do you mean, by refusing to accept God? That doesn't really play a role on the matter. Belief in God is not significantly generally helpful in developing moral virtue, although it may be for some very specific people. For others it is actually quite the hindrance.

Do you believe there are good people who can do no evil?

Very few people do evil when truly given the understanding of the consequences of their actions and enough of a choice.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Very few people do evil when truly given the understanding of the consequences of their actions and enough of a choice

Is evil defined here as enough evil to be judged? I define evil as anything that prevents or discourages good. There are many degrees of evil. Much evil done has no visible or discernible consequences. For instance all partiality outside of one's own family and business is evil because it places the welfare of one soul over another. Do you disagree?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is evil defined here as enough evil to be judged?

Any amount of evil is enough to be judged. That is why it is called "evil"; because it was judged wrong.

I define evil as anything that prevents or discourages good. There are many degrees of evil.

Much evil done has no visible or discernible consequences.

How can it be evil then?

For instance all partiality outside of one's own family and business is evil because it places the welfare of one soul over another. Do you disagree?

May you be more specific? Rooting for a soccer team over another is partiality, but I wouldn't call it evil.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Any amount of evil is enough to be judged. That is why it is called "evil"; because it was judged wrong
Is this assuming people judge what they might do before doing it? I doubt it.

How can it be evil then?

How can evil be evil if it can not be measured? Can you measure the damage to young souls who are being bullied? Not until they cut themselves or kill themselves. Can you measure the evil done to sons and daughters who are not being fed right? I don't think so. Are bullying and apathy not evil?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
May you be more specific? Rooting for a soccer team over another is partiality, but I wouldn't call it evil.
I do not call sports' fans evil. I said partiality that goes beyond one's own "business". Business means what a person is occupied with. It does not always mean the making of money. You know?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I wonder....is this an example of violence which stems solely from religious beliefs, rather than some evil within the believer?
Parents 'tried to exorcise daughter, 10' - Telegraph
Let's presume they're normal parents who love the kid, & do what they do only because they believe they're helping her.
Without a religious prescription to treat her so badly, it wouldn't happen.

No. But, I'm not willing to blame religion for the idiocy of two whack jobs.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is this assuming people judge what they might do before doing it? I doubt it.

I said nothing about judging before the deed. But if there is no clear undesirable consequence then by definition it is not evil.

How can evil be evil if it can not be measured?

Or without having clear undesirable consequences? It can't.

Can you measure the damage to young souls who are being bullied? Not until they cut themselves or kill themselves.

Unless you mean literal souls, you can actually perceive the consequences of bullying well before they reach that point.

Not always and not with great precision perhaps, but then again our perception is never flawless.

Can you measure the evil done to sons and daughters who are not being fed right? I don't think so. Are bullying and apathy not evil?

Yes, they are. And they have clear, perceptible consequences.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I do not call sports' fans evil. I said partiality that goes beyond one's own "business". Business means what a person is occupied with. It does not always mean the making of money. You know?

In that sense, there is no such thing as going beyond anyone's business. We are all co-responsible for everyone else.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In that sense, there is no such thing as going beyond anyone's business. We are all co-responsible for everyone else.

That is what I am saying. Because every person has some responsibility for every one else we should not judge each other.

How do you feel when you are judged? How do you feel when you apprehend a superior approached toward yourself? How do you feel when you are being patronized? You balk. How do you feel when you balk? Do you ever feel angry? What do SOME angry people do?

And there is such a thing as going beyond one's own business.

1 Thessalonians 4:11 Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you,

Orias

Left Hand Path
Yes, some people wish to irresponsibly manipulate another because of what appears to presently be a "mundane" existence.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, some people wish to irresponsibly manipulate another because of what appears to presently be a "mundane" existence.

Wow very deep. One question please? Whose mundane existence? The manipulator or the manipulated?

Orias

Left Hand Path
I think it is very true it is one reason for some events. I do not agree it is the utmost cause of irresponsible events.

Mundaneness is not the utmost cause of irresponsible events, but the routine and patterns are bound to spike so typically such behaviors often do lead to a more extreme intervention.

Orias

Left Hand Path
What do I suspect is the utmost cause of religious violence? Power.

Well violence isn't specifically about power, but according to religion and ways of thought its often something that is attempting to be expressed.

When it comes down to it, violence isn't about power though, its about demonstration. When one is demonstrating, they are choosing to exist. Lack of demonstration often leads to lack of existence.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Mundaneness is not the utmost cause of irresponsible events, but the routine and patterns are bound to spike so typically such behaviors often do lead to a more extreme intervention.

I agree. Is it not then reasonable and responsible to seek to entertain such individuals?

*I'm not really off topic in my own demented imagination. It usually goes around and back to where it was on topic. I think I call it ring theory.