• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion:Debunked

Man of Faith

We have actually found possible signs that life existed on Mars (and possibly still does). The life that we have found possible signs of (such as in meteorite ALH84001) is microfossils of bacteria. We have also recently found signs of water on Mars (last year, the rover we have on Mars became stuck in mud, or wet ground). This would be a good sign that life could have in fact existed on Mars. It may not be like the advanced lifeforms we have on Earth, but it is a sign that life can exist elsewhere.

Also, Odion stated, just because we haven't discovered life else where doesn't mean it isn't there. It has been discovered that there are various other planets that are in habitable zones. So it is very possible there is life else where, and possibly advanced life.

Absent any discovered intelligent life on other planets the best explanation is that we are special. No other life in the universe means life on earth is special. And being special is evidence for God, not against religion.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Absent any discovered intelligent life on other planets the best explanation is that we are special.

"Unique" would probably be a more accurate term.

But don't forget that when it comes to planets outside our solar system, the only ones we can really see, as far as I know, are the gas giants. The rock planets, i.e., the ones that would have life, or any habitable moons, are completely invisible to us. I think the number of rock planets and moons that may exist in our galaxy alone, let alone other galaxies, would most likely be in the hundreds of trillions.

So, yeah, we haven't discovered any life outside our earth, but considering how much we can't observe yet, it's not evidence at all that there isn't any. To say it would be is like saying the lack of life on a single grain of sand is evidence that there's no life at all on an earth-sized planet.

EDIT: BTW, how does your statement relate to what fallingblood said?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Absent any discovered intelligent life on other planets the best explanation is that we are special. No other life in the universe means life on earth is special. And being special is evidence for God, not against religion.
The best explanation is that we don't have the resources or technology to explore various planets outside of our galaxy that could harbor life.

Your statement that there is no other life in the universe is false though. Like I said, we have discovered possible life from Mars, as I stated in my last post. As for "intelligent life," we can't say either way. The fact that there are planets that are in a habitable zone suggests that it is not out of the question that life exists on another planet. To state that it simply doesn't is false.

And being special is evidence for nothing. It does not prove God or even suggest that a supreme exists. It simply states that life exists.