• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion in Public Schools.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The following is advice from the National PTA and The First Amendment Center.
I am providing this because last night my daughter told me she heard students could be expelled for bringing a Bible to school.
I told her I would be among the first to file a lawsuit if that happened to one of my children.
When I asked where she heard this, she told me she heard it from a Youth Director at a friends church.

May students express their faith while in school?

Yes. Schools should respect the right of students to engage in religious activity
and discussion.
Generally, individual students are free to pray, read their scriptures, discuss their
faith and invite others to join their particular religious group. Only if a student’s
behavior is disruptive or coercive should it be prohibited. No student should be
allowed to harass or pressure others in a public school setting.
If it is relevant to the subject under consideration and meets the requirements of
the assignment, students also have the right to express their religious views during a
class discussion or as part of a written assignment or art activity.

May students pray together in public schools?
Yes. Students are free to pray alone or in
groups, as long as the activity is not disruptive
and does not infringe upon the rights of others.
These activities must be truly voluntary and
student-initiated. For example, students are
permitted to gather around the flagpole for
prayer before school begins, as long as the event
is not sponsored by the school and other
students are not pressured to attend. Students
do not have a right to force a captive

Does this mean that students may offer prayers at graduation ceremonies?
Not necessarily. Lower courts are divided about whether a student may offer prayers at
graduation exercises. Parents should seek legal advice about what rules apply in their state.
Some schools create a “free-speech forum” at school-sponsored events, during which
time students are free to express themselves religiously or otherwise. Such a forum,
however, would have to be open to all kinds of speech, including speech critical of
religion or the school.

Is it constitutional to teach about religion in public schools?
Yes. The Supreme Court has indicated many times
that teaching about religion, as distinguished from
religious indoctrination, is an important part of a
complete education. The public school’s approach
to religion in the curriculum must be academic,
not devotional.
Study about religion belongs in the curriculum
wherever it naturally arises. On the secondary
level, the social studies, literature and the arts offer
many opportunities for the inclusion of
information about religions—their ideas and
practices. On the elementary level, natural opportunities arise in discussions of the
family and community life and in instruction about festivals and different cultures.
Religion may also be studied in special courses. Some secondary schools, for
example, offer electives in “World Religions,” “Bible as/in Literature,” and “Religion
in America.”

May students form religious clubs in public schools?
Under the federal Equal Access Act,3 secondary public schools receiving federal funds
must allow students to form religious clubs if the school allows other noncurriculumrelated
clubs to meet during noninstructional time. “Noncurriculum-related” means
any club not directly related to the courses offered by the school. Student religious
clubs may have access to school facilities and media on the same basis as other
noncurriculum-related student clubs.
The Equal Access Act protects the rights of students to form religious clubs. Outside
adults may not direct or regularly attend meetings of such clubs. Teachers may be present
at religious club meetings as monitors, but they may not participate in club activities.
Public schools are free to prohibit any club activities that are illegal or that would cause
substantial disruption of the school.

May students wear religious garb and display religious symbols in public schools?
Yes. Students who must wear religious garb such as head scarves or yarmulkes should be
permitted to do so in school. Students may also display religious messages on clothing
to the same extent that other messages are permitted.

May students distribute religious literature in the schools?

Generally, students have a right to distribute religious literature on public school
campuses subject to reasonable time, place and manner restrictions imposed by the
school. This means that the school may specify at what times the distribution may
occur (e.g., lunch hour or before or after classes begin), where it may occur (e.g.,
outside the school office) and how it may occur (e.g., from fixed locations as opposed
to roving distribution). These restrictions should be reasonable and must apply evenly
to all non-school student literature.
Public schools may prohibit the distribution of some literature altogether. Some
examples would be materials that are obscene, defamatory or disruptive of the
educational environment.

(PDF of entire Document)

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Booooooo-ringgggg

:confused:
What is it you find boring about educating people on their Constitutional rights concerning religion and public schools?

I am constantly hearing "You can't pray in school!", and "I heard a girl got suspended for wearing a cross!".
And it is from the religious right that I hear these complaints. It is often used as an example of the 'Godlessness' of America.
If these things are actually happening, they should be looked into and corrected. If the right actually thinks these things are advocated in the Courts and the Constitution, they deserve to be educated of their mistakes.

Most certainly not. This is simply yet more evidence of the evil atheist agenda to remove jeebus from schools.

i dont know how the evil atheists manage to do things like this. i mean in between killing babies, planting fraudulent transitional fossils, and taking over all forms of media i wouldn't ever be able to squeeze this in.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
The following is advice from the National PTA and The First Amendment Center......

Here is the link to te Department of Education's quidlines, which match very closely.

Guidance on Constitutionally Protected Prayer in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools

However, there are a few things I disagree with strongly.

Students can pray together before the cerimony begins.

Firstly, I would like to know which SCOTUS ruling is being referenced. Second, particularly with the Abrahamics, it is impossible to teach about relgiion without some level of indoctrination and prosetylization. relgiion needs to be left up to religious institutions to keep the relgiion pure and "unsullied" by government.

Rhizomatic

Vaguely (Post)Postmodern
Here is the link to te Department of Education's quidlines, which match very closely.

Guidance on Constitutionally Protected Prayer in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools

However, there are a few things I disagree with strongly.

Students can pray together before the cerimony begins.

Firstly, I would like to know which SCOTUS ruling is being referenced. Second, particularly with the Abrahamics, it is impossible to teach about relgiion without some level of indoctrination and prosetylization. relgiion needs to be left up to religious institutions to keep the relgiion pure and "unsullied" by government.
The SCOTUS ruling being referenced is (primarily) Abington School District v. Schempp, which noted in part that "...it might be well said that one's education is not complete without a study of comparative religion or the history of religion and its relationship to the advancement of civilization." This is what created the distinction between teaching religion and teaching about religion, thus opening the door to religious studies.

As a student of religious studies in a public school, I'm somewhat fascinated by your claim that one cannot study religion in general/ Abrahamic religion in particular without some level of prosetylization and indoctrination. What exactly do you base this claim on? I can't really see how a course studying different Christian thinkers, the evolution/ diversity of Christian thought, it's impact on society at large, etc. is any different or more "indoctrinating" than any other area of study in history/ sociology/ anthropology/ philosophy/ etc.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I am constantly hearing "You can't pray in school!", and "I heard a girl got suspended for wearing a cross!".
And it is from the religious right that I hear these complaints. It is often used as an example of the 'Godlessness' of America.
If these things are actually happening, they should be looked into and corrected. If the right actually thinks these things are advocated in the Courts and the Constitution, they deserve to be educated of their mistakes.

The Religious Right does not want to be informed or educated about their Constitutional rights. They would much rather believe the myths they tell each other about girls getting suspended from school for wearing crosses, etc. That's because many members of the Religious Right are drama queens who have been taught and believe that they are persecuted because they are Christians. Take away their drama that they are persecuted and you take away their self-identity.

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
Most certainly not. This is simply yet more evidence of the evil atheist agenda to remove jeebus from schools.
You do know America was founded by atheists and that is why we have seperation of church and state...???:yes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
ROFL (Revoltistanian Outreach to Fundie Loons) is our Xtian outreach program. I inform the fundies of their constitutional
rights, how they have more control than they think, and how few & feckless we heathens are. This helps them feel better.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
You do know America was founded by atheists and that is why we have seperation of church and state...???:yes:

Not quite.
The Founding fathers were an eclectic mix of Christians, Deists, Agnostics and Atheists. All a product of the Enlightenment Age.

Erebus

i dont know how the evil atheists manage to do things like this. i mean in between killing babies, planting fraudulent transitional fossils, and taking over all forms of media i wouldn't ever be able to squeeze this in.

This just proves how utterly devoted they are to doing evil atheisty things.