• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion in Public Schools.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
The following is an example of what happens when religion pervades school policies.

GEORGETOWN, Del. - After her family moved to this small town 30 years ago, Mona Dobrich grew up as the only Jew in school. Mrs. Dobrich, 39, married a local man, bought the house behind her parents' home and brought up her two children as Jews. ....

A great example of why our Founders sought to build a secular Nation.

And a great example of how we non-Abrahamics aren't the only ones who recieve the "Christian love" this Jewish family got.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
You will find many a class in the south, where prayer is still made available in the classrooms. When My oldest two were younger, we lived in a very rural part of Mississippi. You could walk down the halls of the school, just before lunch, and hear a prayer said by students and teachers. The school had found a legal loophole in the law about prayers in schools. If the student led the prayer,the teachers couldn't get into trouble. All they had to do was ask if the students wanted to pray and who want to led the prayer and there you go.

You will indeed find certain schools breaking the law.

In many cases it takes someone's complaint to bring said law-breaking to light.

Rhizomatic

Vaguely (Post)Postmodern
Firstly, while many colleges are indeed public institutions, it is an elective course, not a requirement.

Secondly, one cannot explain about relgiion to the younger students in elementary and high schools about relgiion without giving a basis in the beliefs of said religion, ie the creator god of the Abrahamics.

Remember, said religious instruction would be targeted at vulnerable and highly impressionable young people.
I'm not sure what you're referencing with the elective vs. required nature of courses on religious studies.

Explaining what someone believes is not at all indoctrinating someone. It wouldn't be religious instruction (that is explicitly illegal), it would be instruction about religion, and teaching someone the basics of a religious belief seems no different to me than teaching someone the basics of a political ideology (ie: Nazi fascism). No matter how "vulnerable and highly impressionable" you might think children are, I don't see how it's any more logical to conclude teaching them about religions will make them religious than it is to conclude that teaching them about WWII will make them Nazis.

Smoke

Done here.
Later, another speaker turned to Mrs. Dobrich and said, according to several witnesses, "If you want people to stop calling him 'Jew boy,' you tell him to give his heart to Jesus."
These people are scum. This is how Jesus teaches them to act?

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
I'm not sure what you're referencing with the elective vs. required nature of courses on religious studies.

Explaining what someone believes is not at all indoctrinating someone. It wouldn't be religious instruction (that is explicitly illegal), it would be instruction about religion, and teaching someone the basics of a religious belief seems no different to me than teaching someone the basics of a political ideology (ie: Nazi fascism). No matter how "vulnerable and highly impressionable" you might think children are, I don't see how it's any more logical to conclude teaching them about religions will make them religious than it is to conclude that teaching them about WWII will make them Nazis.

Firstly, religion is much more pervasive than political ideology. Hitler wasn't considered the creator of everything who laid down religious laws that the entire world has to follow, or else.

Secondly, when are children supposed to learn foundational education, the proverbial Three R's?

We were not taught about religion at all when I went to school, at least after they kicked the bible and Jehovah out of the curriculum, and our education wasn't lacking at all.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Not quite.
The Founding fathers were an eclectic mix of Christians, Deists, Agnostics and Atheists. All a product of the Enlightenment Age.

Indeed.

And from the rabid Evangelical to the most Rational Thinker, to the last man they knew exactly what occurs when the institutions of religion and government are permitted to influence one another.

They shed blood and spent lives to seperate themselves from just such a monstricity.

This is, of course, why they eventually set up the United States as a secular Nation.

Man of Faith

We all know that a school will abolish any and all religious activity to prevent an expensive lawsuit from the ACLU bullies, so the rules don't mean much. The godless bullies try to make sure any and all references to God are removed from the public arena.

Smoke

Done here.
We all know that a school will abolish any and all religious activity to prevent an expensive lawsuit from the ACLU bullies, so the rules don't mean much. The godless bullies try to make sure any and all references to God are removed from the public arena.

It's always interesting to read comments that have absolutely nothing to do with reality.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!

Aww, poor persecuted Christian.

Need a tissue?

YOUR religion belongs in YOUR homes, YOUR churches, and YOUR parochial schools.

It doesn't belong in OUR government or OUR public school curriculum.

Wannabe Yogi

Today all over America children have history texts books that teach them about the origins of Christianity. The ACLU has no problem with this.

linwood

I just love these guys always braying about the "evil godless ACLU!" when it`s the ACLU that keeps their right to believe in imaginary superpeople alive.

thestupiditburns.jpg

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
No, we don't "all know that a school will abolish any and all religious activity".
Did you even read the OP? Read the recommendations given by the National Parent Teacher Organization? Or see Kathryn's post on who was defending the rights of some of the students whose religious freedoms actually were being violated?
I'll give you a hint, it contains the letters A, C, L and U.

You need to get better informed on the subject at hand before pointing fingers and making baseless accusations.

Just because the teacher cannot lead a prayer every morning does not mean rights of students are being violated.
:facepalm: