• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion Questions

smithrosem

Hi, i'm doing a project about religion for my AP senior religion class, and i need to interview a person based on their religion for a portion of it. It would be really lovely if anyone would fill these questions out, as few or as many as you want, and give me your name and religion. Thanks for your time! :)

name:
religion:

1) What are the basic principles that your religion is made up of?

2) Did you choose this religion later in your life, or was it how you were raised?

3) What do you find most rewarding about your religion?

4) What does your religion believe about life after death?

5) How has this religion impacted your life?

6) What do you think the most common misconceptions about your religion are?

7) Does your religion have a holy book? If so, what is it called?

8) Who are some key figures in your religion?

9) Have you ever had to deal with any others who challenged your faith?

10) Are there any extremists in your religious group?

11) Where is your religious place of worship?

12) What god or gods does your religion believe in?

13) What religious holidays do you celebrate?

14) If you were to have children, would you raise them with your religious beliefs?

15) What are some reactions you receive when expressing your religion to others?

16) How would you confront someone who offended or looked down upon your religion?

17) Does your religion welcome new individuals?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Hi, i'm doing a project about religion for my AP senior religion class, and i need to interview a person based on their religion for a portion of it. It would be really lovely if anyone would fill these questions out, as few or as many as you want, and give me your name and religion. Thanks for your time! :)

Welcome to our forum, smithrosem. I do hope you'll stick around and participate in addition to gathering the information you need. :)

Tarheeler
Closer to 40 than 30.
where you're from:
North Carolina
religion:
Judaism

That there is a single, incorporeal entity, that we are His creation, and that we are bound to His Torah.

2) Did you choose this religion later in your life, or was it how you were raised?
I converted to Judaism. I was raised a Christian.

The connection it gives me to God.

We (tend to) believe that there is accounting for our actions in the afterlife, and that the righteous will be resurrected for the World to Come.

There aren't many details about the afterlife, and individual beliefs can vary greatly between Jews. We focus far more on how we live than what will happen to us when we die.

It has given me a community, a people, a religion, and a philosophy that guides me in my life.

That it is Christianity without Jesus.
That all Christian belief is rooted in Jewish teaching.
That one cannot convert to Judaism.
That being a Jew means you aren't a citizen of your country.

It is the Torah, and has both a written and an oral component.

Our patriarchs and matriarchs are Abraham, Yitzchak (Issac), Ya'akov (Jacob), Sarah, Rachel, Rivkah (Rebeccah), and Leah.

Always.

Most certainly.

Our house of worship is a synagogue.

Why, the only one of course. ;)

We have many (we're a festive bunch). We celebrate Shabbat every week, and some of our major holidays include Pesach (Passover), Rosh haShanah, Yom Kippur, and Sukkot.

14) If you were to have children, would you raise them with your religious beliefs?
Yes, and I am. Being Jewish is a complex mixture of religion and culture, and it survives l'dor v'dor, from generation to generation. Raising our children as Jews is how we continue to exist.

15) What are some reactions you receive when expressing your religion to others?

I get a lot of questions. Most people where I live know very little about Judaism, and they are eager to find our what it means. Occasionally I receive much more negative reactions.

16) How would you confront someone who offended or looked down upon your religion?
It depends on the person and the situation. Sometimes you have to realize that nothing you can say or do will change a person's mind.

Judaism accepts converts, but it is a long process that requires a lot of commitment from the potential convert.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
name: StarryNightshade (I don't give my full name on the internet)

where you're from: The United States

religion: Hinduism (Shaivism/Shaktism)

Dharma (ones path and duty in life), Ahimsa (non-violence), Seva (self-less service, either to humankind or God), and Karma.

Everything else (scriptures, multiple deities, ritual, sects, etc.) is secondary.

I chose it. Or, rather, it chose me.

I was raised Southern Baptist, but stopped believing in it around age 13. I was an atheist for a long while, became a Buddhist for a couple of years, then eventually made my way to Hinduism. I stopped practicing for a few months (mainly from severe doubt), but I have since come back to it.

The fact that it is so vast and open. It allows for many different schools of thought. Even though that can cause tiffs of disagreements every now and again.

Repeating the cycle of life and death (reincarnation) until one reaches Moksha (akin to Nirvana or enlightenment). That's the typical view on the subject, anyway.

Not that much, to be honest. Aside from decreasing materialism, I have retained the majority of my ethical and moral beliefs from before practicing. I just so happened to have found a faith that already had a lot in common with what I already believed.

That we worship cows. That we worship a giant penis :)facepalm:). That we worship demons and/or Satan. That Hinduism is inherently anti-women. That if one is a Hindu, then they support the Caste system.

Quite a few in fact, but it primarily depends on the school. The ones that virtually all Hindus share are the Vedas and Upanishads.

Ghandi, Swami Vivekananda, Shankaracharya, Prahbupada, Basava, Ramakrishna, Ramanuja, Vyasa, Paramahansa Yogananda...just to name a very select few. People tend to forget just how vast and diverse Hinduism really is.

I suppose? I do enjoy a nice exchange now and again, but in my experience, since I'm not "Abrahamic", most people are not interested in "challenging" my beliefs.

I think there are, but some view them as freedom fighters and/or nationalists, rather than extremists. I won't name the group, but they are fairly well known.

It's called a "Mandir". I usually just say "temple".

Shiva, Ganesha, Hanuman, and Devi in her various forms (Kali, Durga, Saraswati, Parvati, etc.).

I'm not big on celebrating holidays. I try to, but it doesn't always work out. I do celebrate Diwali and this year will be my first Ganesha Chaturthi. I also celebrate a very secularized form of Christmas.

Sort of? I would take them to temple and what not, but I would not impose that Hinduism is the "only way". I would allow them to decide if they really believe in it or not.

Most don't care, some are interested, other say I'm lost and need to be saved.

I personally don't care. I may clear some misconceptions, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

I would think so. I'm not Indian, but a pasty white guy. :) Hinduism is, generally, very welcoming to newcomers, but it's not really in the business of proselytizing.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
name: Riverwolf
where you're from: Diablo Valley
religion: Asatru

It varies, but the general spirit is polytheistic, animistic, self-improvement, and living life.

I chose it later, but I've always been polytheistic in my beliefs.

A sense of empowerment, connection with my cultural ancestry, and a better understanding of myself and my place in the world.

Die, go to Hel. Die in battle, go to Valhalla or Folkvangr, where Ragnarok is awaited where you die and go to Hel.

So, basically, we all go to Hel, so don't worry about it. (Hel is not the Christian Hell, by the way).

It's helped me become more assertive.

That it's racist, white supremacist, or satanist (for being Pagan).

Nope.

Historically? Not really any that I can name off the top of my head, unless you count famous vikings like Erik the Red. We have a body of Heroic Lays, but I think you were asking for historical figures, not legendary ones.

There's a thread that I created on this very forum where I invited such challenges. Sadly, I didn't get much. :(

OH, YES! There's plenty of white supremacists/neo nazis who identify as Asatru. A curse upon them, I say.

Outside.

As a pluralistic polytheist, any and all Gods from the old pantheons, and more Gods that are no longer remembered. But I specifically worship the Aesir (the term Asatru roughly translates into "Trust/Loyalty to the Aesir").

I celebrate the Wheel of the Year. Midsummer's Eve, Yule Tide, and so forth, though I generally use the Celtic names for them (Lughnasadh, Beltane), since they're more well-known, I think.

Insofar as I'd raise them with stories and pluralistic values, yes. I'll involve them in the rituals, but I won't ever require belief.

As yet untested in public.

Not sure. I'll have to come up with something.

Absolutely.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

name:
religion:

Welcome.

As I am an atheist, I have no "religion", so I can not be of aid in your quest.

Just the same, good hunting in eliciting as many divergent and differing view as may be available. Understanding is the first step towards insight and tolerance.

You go. :)

name: Susan Palli
religion: Jehovah's Witnesses

Based on the Bible.

1. Jehovah (Yahweh)is the creator of all things. (Genesis 1:1)
2. He sent his son Jesus to save us from sin and death and he will set up the kingdom of God on earth. Paradise will be restored. (John 3:16, Matthew 6:10)
3. Resurrection of our dead loved ones in the paradise. (John 5:28, Acts 24:15)
4. No more suffering in the new world. (Revelation 21:4)
5. Love for our neighbor motivates us to preach this good news to the entire world. (Matthew 24:14, Romans 10:13-15)

I was raised Catholic and after reading the Bible on my own, I looked for the religion that practiced what the Bible teaches. I examined many Christian denominations, and came to the conclusion that the JW's do their best to follow the Bible and Jesus's teaching.

The relationship we have with Jehovah is wonderful and the
love, joy, and peace we experience in the congregation is amazing.

The dead are unconscious -----as if sleeping, and await the resurrection on earth after the paradise is restored. (Ecclesiastes 9:5,10, Isaiah 26:19)

This will happen under the direction of Jesus and the 144,000 humans who were "bought"from the earth and reign with Jesus in heaven. (Revelation 5:9,10 and Revelation 14:1-3)

I have become a real Christian, and do my best to put into practice Bible principles. I have become loving, peaceable, and practice giving. I am very happy.

1. People think we are obliged to follow it. In fact, we are all volunteers and can leave the religion at any time.

2. People think we want money, but our literature and website are free of charge.

The Bible

Jehovah, Jesus, Moses, Noah, Peter, John, Paul

My entire family who are Catholic, were very angry that I changed religions. Some stopped speaking to me for a while, others dislike the fact that I go from door to door. After a number of years, however, they see that I have become a better person and we get along fine.

I don't know of any. We are not prefect though, and do make mistakes.

In Kingdom Halls

Our God is Jehovah, the God of the Bible.

We celebrate the memorial of Jesus death and the new covenant he made with his Apostles (Luke 22:19,20,29)
We celebrate this event once a year on the 14th day of the Jewish month Nisan.

Yes, of course, but they are free to choose for themselves whether they wish to become Jehovah's Witnesses or not.

Most people are polite and listen to our message. Many take our literature at least once. A small number are aggressive and send us away.

I allow them to express their opinion, and if they accept, I show them that what we believe is based on what the Bible teaches.

Yes, all are invited, and our meetings and conventions are open to the public. No collections taken.

Check out JW.org if you wish

Pastek

Sunni muslim
name: Let say Safya !
where you're from: France
religion: Islam

The believing of one God and that our life must be dedicated to Him.

Raised in it.

I feel in peace and that God loves me and guides me.

That in the Resurection Day God will judge us all.
If we did more good than bad then we will be saved, at the condition that we had believed in God.
Some believers may go to Hell if they did really bad things.

I feel in peace and don't have to search for something (were i go, why i'm here etc) God have answered many if the questions of the purpose of life.

People sometimes don't get that Allah is just "God".
Some think that Islam is only what they see on tv (stoning, women submission, hate of other religions etc)

Quran

Muhammad and biblical figures most of time it's Moses, Abraham, Jesus.

It's very rare (exept on internet). I try to avoid to open the door to the JW because i don't want to waste my time and don't want they lost theirs.
Even though i respect them, but i won't change my religion.

Yes, many

The mosque. But we can pray at home.

Only one God, the God of Abraham. We don't reconize any other God.

Aid el fitr = at the end of the month of Ramadan. We eat some sweets and see our friends, familly.

Aid el addha = we slaughter an animal (sheep most of time) for remembrance of the act of Abraham's submission to God. And we share with familly, friends, neighbours and poors.

Of course.

None. They usually don't care.

When it happen i try to stay calm and avoid to discuss with that kind of person.
Most of time they don't listen to you.

Of course.

defendurfaith

Faithdefender
name: Jai
where you're from: Philippines
religion: Bible Baptist

The Lord Jesus Christ is the only Savior.

John 14:6 KJV
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

This is how i was raised and I thanked my parents for telling me the truth.

John 8:32 KJV
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Assurance of eternal life and eternal security.

Romans 10:9 KJV
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

John 5:24 KJV
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

1 John 5:13 KJV
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

John 20:31 KJV
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Romans 8:35-39 KJV
[35] Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
[36] As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
[37] Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
[38] For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
[39] Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 10:27-29 KJV
[27] My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
[28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
[29] My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Hebrews 9:27 KJV
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Looking forward to see my Creator.

John 14:2-3 KJV
[2] In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
[3] And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Once saved, always saved - most people don't believe.

Yes. The Holy Bible.

The Lord Jesus Christ and the believers.

Share the Gospel - God's good news to sinners.
Do the witnessing and God will do the saving.

Hebrews 11:1 KJV
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

John 20:29 KJV
Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

2 Timothy 2:23-26 KJV
[23] But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
[24] And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men , apt to teach, patient,
[25] In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
[26] And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Titus 3:9 KJV
But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Ephesians 4:14-15 KJV
[14] That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
[15] But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Ephesians 4:15 KJV
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

No specific place.

The Lord Jesus Christ - the only God.

John 14:6 KJV
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Christmas

YES. Definitely.

Proverbs 22:6 KJV
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

They listen and ask questions.

John 15:18-20 KJV
[18] If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
[19] If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
[20] Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

Romans 12:14 KJV
Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.

Matthew 5:44 KJV
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Matthew 5:10-12 KJV
[10] Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
[11] Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you , and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
[12] Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Acts 5:40-41 KJV
[40] And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.
[41] And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.

Hebrews 10:30 KJV
For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

17) Does your religion welcome new individuals?[/QUOTE]

Everybody is very much welcome.

Brinne

name: James Zerillo
religion: Shinto (with possible Konkokyo leanings...though I'm still researching it)

Reverence of the 'kami.' Spirits that manifest themselves through nature, natural occurrences, and all things around us. Reverence of ancestral spirits plays into this as well. At it's core Shinto is about gratitude; being grateful to nature, your ancestors, and those around you for the current blessings you have.

There is also an emphasis on original purity. All humans are viewed as originally pure beings. It is believed that sometimes we accumulate 'tsumi' or spiritual dirt throughout our lives when we make bad decisions.

Later in life. I lived in Japan for a little while and the family I lived with brought me to a lot of Shrines and told me about some of the Shinto rituals. I took the belief with me back home and have been practicing it since.

Seeing a beautiful feat of nature and being reminded of the 'kami'. Seeing the vast ocean and thanking Ryujin-sama, being greeted by the morning sun on an early bike ride and thanking Amaterasu Omikami-sama, just the humbling feeling you receive when you witness the divinity of nature. Also how grateful you feel for the simple things that are overlooked in life.

There is no consolidated belief. There is a World of Yomi where spirits go to rest though it is described as an unclean place and a boring place.

There's a belief that once a human dies he becomes an ancestral kami and joins the great myriad of kami.

It has made me more humble and aware of nature's beauty.

That we worship the emperor and are a state cult to forward the idea of Japanese racial superiority. This is completely wrong. The emperor is respected by many but nobody goes home to their kamidana and has an Ofuda (talisman for worship) with his name on it.

Another misconception is how people perceive the kami. Kami has been translated for centuries as 'god' but this is in fact not a correct translation. The kami are best described as spirits with immense power yet they have their faults. Like people they have their down sides, like people they can become upset, our perception of the kami is very similar to how some pagans perceive their deities.

Yes and no. The Kojiki and Nihongi are considered to be the history of Shinto and early Japan. They contain the creation myth and other mythological stories but they don't hold the same importance as say the Bible does in Christianity.

There is also the Yengishiki which is a book that has details on Shinto ceremonies and the Norito which is a book of prayer.

Amaterasu Omikami-sama (Godess of the sun, compassion, and light, leader of the heavenly kami (amatsu okami), Sarutahiko (god of the earthly kami (kunitsu okami) and compassion), Inari Okami (God of success, agriculture, business), the list goes on and on as there are many kami.

Not really. Most people either have no idea what it is or just go 'ooh ahh exotic!'

Yes. The Black Dragon Society, or what remains of it, is a Japanese nationalist group which are strong believers in Shinto (the modern day incarnation at least). They're a small number and they don't do much of anything besides preach against doing things they dub as taboos.

A shrine. However the home place of worship is called a 'kamidana' (lit. god shelf).

To put it shortly: Amatsu Okami (Heavenly kami led by Amaterasu Omikami), Kunitsu Okami (Earthly kami lead by Sarutahiko) and the great myriad of kami.

There's a kami for everything (it is traditionally said there are 8 million + kami however the number could be much larger considering the aforementioned belief about people becoming kami when they die)

When Tsubaki Grand Shine of America celebrates something I generally follow suit. There's many festivals however the most important one of is New Years.

On New Years most practitioners take part in a ritual known as hatsumode, which is the first Shrine visit of the year.

Sure. However if they decide it's not for them so be it.

I only talk about it if asked really. Most find it interesting. I'm sure some think it's a little weird but so be it.

I'd ignore them. I follow the teachings of the Konkokyo founder (Konko Daijin) when it come stop this. In short, Konko Daijin states that there's a different path for everybody and that everybody is part of one universal family. As such I'd just move on with my life; if they wish to look down on my faith so be it. If that's what brings them joy then that's OK with me.

Yes, very much so.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
name: Aupmanyav
where you're from: New Delhi, India
religion: Hindu + strong atheist.

1) What are the basic principles that your religion is made up of?: 'Dharma' (Fulfilling one's duties and engaging in righteous action).
2) Did you choose this religion later in your life, or was it how you were raised?: Born Hindu.
3) What do you find most rewarding about your religion?: Freedom of belief. My atheism does not clash with my religion.
4) What does your religion believe about life after death?: For majority of Hindus heaven or hell after death and then re-birth. For me, chemical break-up of the constituents of my body and their absorption in living and non-living things.
5) How has this religion impacted your life?: Brought peace and understanding.
6) What do you think the most common misconceptions about your religion are?: Gods and Goddesses are common misconceptions, as well as many superstitions.
7) Does your religion have a holy book? If so, what is it called?: We have a few hundred, the Vedas, the Upanishads, the Puranas, and many others.
8) Who are some key figures in your religion?: If you mean Gods and Goddesses - Then Vishnu, Shiva, Durga, if you mean saints - many hundred. I follow Sankara.
9) Have you ever had to deal with any others who challenged your faith?: I welcome intelligent discussions.
10) Are there any extremists in your religious group?: There are a few misguided people who think that Aryans were indigenous and all science began from India.
11) Where is your religious place of worship?: We have tens of pious cities (Varanasi for example), hundreds of places of pilgrimage and tens of thousands of temples all over India.
12) What god or gods does your religion believe in?: Oh, the list is terribly long, Wikipedia said it is not possible to list all, goes into thousands. I have mentioned the important three in Question # 8.
13) What religious holidays do you celebrate?: We have scores of religious holidays and new years, and perhaps 100 religiously important days when we do not get a holiday. I do not blame the government. If all were to be made holidays, then we would work for only half the year. The important religious days in my region are birth dates of Rama and Krishna, marriage day of Shiva, Holi the festival of colors, and Diwali the festival of lights. Then nine days pious to the Mother Goddess Durga in Oct./Nov.
14) If you were to have children, would you raise them with your religious beliefs? Yes, my children also are Hindus but they are theists.
15) What are some reactions you receive when expressing your religion to others?: We are a majority in India. I do not trumpet my atheism, because as I said I like intelligent discussion, and that is hard to get.
16) How would you confront someone who offended or looked down upon your religion?: I would engage the person in a discussion. But if the person is not worthy of that and has offended me seriously, then I may pick up a brick and break his head.
17) Does your religion welcome new individuals?: It does not fish for them. But if they come with understanding, they would be welcomed. We value quality over numbers.

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i

name: Art Gregory
where you're from: California
religion:Baha'i

The Baha'i Faith stresses unity as a principle of social life from the family level to the wider community and to the world as a whole...in my view.

I chose to become a Baha'i when I was about twenty five years old.

I think the Baha'i perspective on life has saved me a lot of trouble and give me and my family a direction it would not ordinarily have...

The soul is immortal and passes through the worlds of God.. progress after this life continues ...

In my case.. It has meant a Baha'i family ...which means in laws support us and that I share equally with my wife the struggles of life... It also has provided me with a perspective on the issues of life.. reducing the extremes of wealth and poverty, getting rid of prejudices and helping build community as well as having spiritual significance at one with the major religions ...

That the Baha'i Faith is a mere syncretism...

There are about a hundred volumes revealed by Baha'u'llah only a portion of which have been translated into English..Also the Writings of the Bab are considered as the Baha'i Writings and the interpretive Writings of Abdul-Baha.

See:

Baha'i Reference Library

Baha'u'llah; the Bab; Abdul-Baha; Shoghi Effendi ...

Some people I've met oppose my Faith and generally I'm open with them. I've served on the Inter-Faith Council in my community

The Baha'i Faith stresses moderation as a virtue rather than extremism.

Baha'is worship in their homes for the most part every day and also meet occasionally at Baha'i Centers where available... There is also a Baha'i House of Worship in Wilmette Illinois, that is open as well as in Europe, the Indian subcontinent, Samoa, Panama and Kampala Uganda.

Baha'is believe God is one and the same God that is found in the major religions of the world....

Baha'is observe Naw-Ruz as the New Years Day.. Twelve Days of Ridvan, the Declaration of the Bab, the Martyrdom of the Bab, the Birth of Baha'u'llah the Birth of the Bab.. the Ascension of Baha'u'llah, the Day of the Covenant...

It's an obligation to provide our children with exposure to Baha'i virtues and principles.. At around the age of fifteen the children have the freedom to declare their belief if they choose to do so in Baha'u'llah. They are also free to choose what they believe at that age..

Usually I find people are interested in learning more about the Faith.

I would accept their reaction and let them be...

Anyone who accepts Baha'u'llah as the Messenger of God for this day can be a Baha'i.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I am not religious now, but i was a fervent believer in the past. So, what I will say here in the present, refers to the past or what i remember of it. Actually, it will be a mix. i let you decide what is what.

name: viole
where you're from: Sweden
religion: christian lutheran

--> all of them are made up

--> raised

---> gives me a cozy feeling of something bigger than myself and a purpose in life (before death)

---> Heaven for the saved. Hell for the others.

----> it made it more difficult to find a job. At least in Sweden.

----> it believes that God exists. Oh, you mean about, not of my religion. Then, the main one is that we love the poor and the ignorant. We actually love poverty and ignorance.

----> the Bible

----> God, Jesus, the Holy Spiri, Satan and Luther. Not necessarily sorted by importance.

---> my husband and kids

---> not anymore

---> a church.

--> Christian God. Lutheran brand.

----> all the standard ones. Christmas, Easter, etc

---> tried to. No success. They raised me.

---> it is considered rude to talk of religion with others the place I came from

---> what does she know that I don't?

----> obviously. It would be extinct otherwise.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
name: Levite will do (I don't give out my name online).
where you're from: California, but living in Illinois
religion: Jewish

There is one God, creator of all things, eternal and infinite and all-capable; the Jewish People have a unique relationship with that God through the covenant of Torah (which is not to imply that other peoples may not have their own unique relationships with God, or that they may not have their own covenants with Him). We try to live lives using the framework that Torah gives us, in order to be just, compassionate, and full of lovingkindness, like God, and to create more just and compassionate societies, which we believe will please Him. In doing this, we follow the 613 commandments in the Torah, according to various interpretations of how to do so.

I was raised Orthodox Jewish, became an agnostic secularist for a while, then returned to Jewish observance and practice; I am now a Conservative rabbi.

Its richness in history, art, literature, philosophy, theology, music, etc. Its elegant and complex laws, customs, and practices. Its beautiful rituals and liturgies. Quite a lot, really.

A lot of different things. We're actually pretty focused on how to live life here in this world; we have room for a number of different possibilities about what might come before and after it.

Well, it made me the person I am in a lot of ways, even down to my career. It gave me a way to make meaning in a difficult world; a way to find spiritual awareness and discipline, to help me become closer to God; a framework for how to be a better person, and how to help others; a way to shape the chaos of life into harmony; and a way to be deeply connected to my predecessors for thousands of years in the past, and to those who will come after me for thousands of years to come.

That Judaism is just Jesusless Christianity. That we don't eat pork because we're afraid of trichinosis. That Jews are exclusivist and supremacist, or racist or bigoted. That we are either inevitable victims or inevitable aggressors. That we are part of some great conspiracy to control everything. That we are all rich, or money-grubbing, or both. Good Lord, take your pick. Heinous misconceptions, stereotypes, and derogatory images or descriptions of Jews are everywhere. You can even find them on this very website.

Technically, our holy book is a collection of books called the Tanach (which is an abbreviation for the three major parts of it: Torah, Nevi'im, Ketuvim, which is to say, the Pentateuch or Five Books of Moses, the Prophets, and the Writings). We sometimes call the whole thing "Torah," though, since that's sort of the most important part of it.

But we also have a set of books called the Talmud, without which one cannot properly understand the Torah, or how to read and interpret the Torah. Along with Talmud are a large body of related works we call Rabbinic Literature. They represent part of the tradition of the Oral Torah, which is essentially the other half of the Written Torah that is in the Tanach: reading the latter without knowledge and context of the former is like reading chapter headings without actually reading the chapters.

The Patriarchs and Matriarchs, Avraham (Abraham), Yitzchak (Isaac), Yakov (Jacob), Sarah, Rivkah (Rebecca), Rachel, and Leah. Moshe (Moses), Aharon (Aaron), and Miriam. We have a lot of important prophets: pretty much anyone who's got a book named for them in the Tanach is important. David the King. But also post-Biblical figures are extremely important: the Maccabees, the Rabbis of the Talmud, the great rabbinic leaders of the past 1500 years.

Incredibly frequently. That's (unfortunately) part of being a Jew. Everything from being checked for horns by non-Jewish kids growing up in Minnesota, to being told at various times that Jews were servants of Satan and/or were damned to Hell; to confrontations with neo-Nazis and other violent anti-Semites; to having to put up with anti-Semitic bigotry and hatred in words all the time, especially online, even at this very site.

Sure. I'm not sure I can think of a religion that doesn't have its extremists. You get the bad apples in with the good no matter where you go. Yeah, the Charedim (or Haredim or ultra-Orthodox) are our extremists, for the most part. You get a few extremists on the ultra left wing fringe, too, but they mostly tend to be a scattering of kooks, rather than large, well-organized and well-funded communities. Most of our Charedi extremists are largely non-violent: not completely so, but mostly. But even we have our dangerous radicals. Still, overall I think most Jews are neither extremists nor radicals.

In general, they are called synagogues or temples; the proper term for them in Hebrew is bet kenesset, which means something along the lines of "gathering place," or more literally "house of assembling." Sometimes we Ashkenazim (Jews of German/Eastern European descent) use the Yiddish word shul instead, which actually is related to the word "school," and means a place of learning or study.

Personally, I have a part-time congregation for which I'm the rabbi most Shabbatot (Sabbaths), and there are a few minyanim (independent, often lay-led informal congregations) that I go to from time to time. But I also often pray at home.

Just the one. We don't actually believe there are any others. Just one God, with infinite presence and aspects, but sometimes people can mistakenly conclude there are more than one god, or that He is somehow more than one, or is split in pieces, or suchlike. Doesn't matter. Still one God.

Lots of them. We have the High Holidays, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur in the early autumn (these focus on repentance, introspection, self-betterment, and seeking forgiveness and patient tolerance from God), followed by Sukkot (the Feast of Shelters or Booths or Tabernacles) just a short time later (originally a harvest festival, this focuses on joy and celebration) and Shmini Atzeret (the Eighth Day of Ceasing or Assembly) tacked on to the end of Sukkot (this one is all about the blessings of rain and prosperity). Then we have Chanukah (the Feast of Rededication) in winter, a minor holiday that celebrates the unprecedented military defeat of the Greek overlords of ancient Israel and the rejection of Hellenist assimilation. Tu bi'Shvat (15th of the month of Shvat) in late winter/early Spring, which connects the revitalization of the trees with various mystical cycles of renewal. Purim (the Feast of Lots), in early Spring, which celebrates the unlooked-for triumph of our ancestors in exile in Persia over an anti-Semitic Prime Minister of the Persian Empire. Pesach (Passover) in Spring, which celebrates the Exodus from Egypt; and Shavuot (the Feast of Weeks, or Pentecost), which celebrates the giving of the Torah at Sinai. Those are just the major ones. There are minor ones, fast days, and so forth, also.

I have children, and I am doing so. I would never think to do otherwise.

Mostly positive, or neutral. Jews are not proselytizers, so I seldom express my religion to non-Jews unless in a situation explicitly contexted by interfaith dialogue or debate.

Sometimes with debate. Sometimes with firm words of correction and education-- quite a lot of anti-Semitism is just ignorance, and once the individual in question has been taught better, they cease holding anti-Semitic views. Sometimes with sharp or angry words-- we do not teach pacifism, and we do teach the value of defending ourselves and what we hold dear. Only once in my life did I actually get into a fight over an anti-Semitic slur, and I was young then. But I won the fight.

We don't actively proselytize-- in other words, we don't actively seek people out to recruit them, to persuade them to become Jews. But we absolutely do accept converts if they seek us out (I have often helped people convert, myself). Most Jewish communities are pretty welcoming and warm-- as well they should be, since some of the best, most committed, most thoughtful and educated Jews out there are Jews By Choice (converts). You do sometimes run into jerks who are not so welcoming, but they are both in a great minority and are also behaving explicitly contrary to Jewish law and tradition.

Sabour

where you're from: Lebanon
religion: Islam

Islam is derived from the Arabic root "Salema": peace, purity, submission and obedience. In the religious sense, Islam means submission to the will of God and obedience to His law.

Not the way I was raised. I was born a muslim but that means nothing. I later chose to be a practicing muslim.

Heaven that righteous people are rewarded with and the inner peace that we live in.

There is a judgement day and there is heaven and hell.

It made me a happier person and more caring about others.

There are many misconceptions about Islam.

The main misconception is that Islam=Terrorism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wRrP_YOKx0

Quraan

All the prophets.

Challenge meaning debates on this forum? Yes.

I would say Yes, they are those who take part of Islam and neglect the other parts instead of taking the whole package. For example, "only fight those who fight you" ... those people only get fight people.

We have a five times salat a day, we can perform it anywhere but we have to direct ourselves towards the Kaaba. We can also do salat in a mosque. We also have the fifth pillars in Islam which is pilgrimage which is going to Mekkah to visit the Ka'aba.

The Only One, Allah.

There are 99 names of Allah in Islam. They are worth knowing

Fitr and Adha.

Yes

Because of the misconceptions, few people actually listen

It depends on who and how. It would range from having a conversation to acting as I didn't hear.

Sure. All individuals are welcomed

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
name: Quintessence is good enough
where you're from: Midwestern USA
religion: contemporary Paganism (Neopagan); or you can just call me a polytheistic/pantheistic/animistic tree-hugging dirt worshipper

There are no universal principles for contemporary Paganism, so when I speak here, I speak solely for my own path. To oversimplify, the core of my path is the pursuit of knowledge about the gods as well as worship (gratitude, reverence, appreciation) of the gods. And by "the gods" I mean what you would probably just call reality; my gods are literally things like Storm Spirits that rumble through the Midwest and the Sun Spirit that anchors our planet in the universe.

It's complicated. For one, has a hard determinist, I don't believe I "chose" anything; it is the path I was fated to walk. For two, although I was "raised" Catholic for a few years, it really was few years. I left that path before I was even in the double-digets of age. Ever since then I'd always been formulating my own religion, which happened to resemble a lot of contemporary Paganism. I didn't learn Neopaganism existed until college, so I didn't use that label until about ten years ago or so.

A sense of connectedness and a sense of sacredness that produce an positive and optimistic perspective on reality and life. In a word? Happiness.

Again, I speak for myself, not Neopaganism as a whole. I don't believe in life after death, because I see existence and reality as a continuity. There is no life, there is no death, there is change and transformation. When an organism "dies" it becomes part of something else. Hell, when an organism is "living" it is constantly exchanging matter and energy with the environment. It's a bit more complicated than that, but the short version suffices.

IMHO, religion done right is your way of life. It is so with me, and so my answer to this is that it has impacted everything in my life. It is my way of life.

Most people are just generally ignorant about contemporary Paganism. It's difficult to have misconceptions when one is wholly ignorant of what something entails.

Kind of sort of not really. Not in the sense that is probably being meant. The closest equivalent I have is my own Book of Shadows, which is sort of a manual of my path that I write myself based upon a wide range of other sources. It is, however, a constant work in progress, most assuredly not regarded as inerrant or literal or dogmatic or any of that.

Although there are certainly some widely-influential movers and shakers in Neopaganism, when it comes down to it, the key figure in my path is myself. That's how Neopaganism tends to work: your path is your own, and you're responsible for all of it. But if I had to name a few names, I might list people like Aristotle, Starhawk, Isaac Bonewitz, Susan Greenwood, James Lovelock, or just about any professor who has written a textbook about my gods (though to them it's just science).

Not really. The nice thing about being live and let live is you really don't care if other people challenge you. You keep doing what you do anyway.

Depends on what one means by extremist. All groups have those which can be labeled as extremists. There are most assuredly Neopagans who other Neopagans would label as extremist. I know of no cases that look anything like the fundamentalism you see in the monotheisms. And my own path, being a path of one, isn't one I would consider extremist.

Anywhere. Everywhere. But most of the time, in my altar room or outdoors in a quiet spot in the woods.

It depends on what is meant by "believe in." If by "believe in" do you mean which gods I accept as ontologically real, that would be all of them. If by "believe in" do you mean which ones I regard worthy of worship, that would also be all of them. If by "believe in" you mean which gods I actually worship, it's a long list given I'm a polytheist. The principal gods I honor, though, would probably be the Four Elements, Sun Spirit, Moon Spirit, Storm Spirit, Gaea in general, a crap ton of local spirits, and a bunch of spirits that have no tangible form like the Spirit of Science, the Spirit of Learning, the Spirit of Creativity, and so forth.

It's mostly little things. Speak a few words of recognition and light a stick of incense every time a Storm Spirit rolls into town, for example. I suppose if one had to pin down "major" holidays it would be the solstices, equinoxes, cross-quarters, and full moons.

It would be unavoidable, given it's my way of life.

Usually, curiosity, followed by lots of questions. That is, if they even realize that what I'm doing is part of my religion, which they usually do not. They'll see me wearing an earth necklace and go "oh, that's a cool planet earth necklace" and be completely oblivious to the fact that it's a religious symbol to me.

I wouldn't confront them. What's the point of that? Confrontational attitudes get us nowhere. If they are interested in actually learning something, I will teach them. If all they want to do is muck about in negativity, I will leave them to their unsavory ruminations. Only if they're directly threatening me or doing something illegal are the claws of confrontation warranted.

If people want to walk these paths, they walk these paths. Aside from a handful of exclusivist, initiatory-only traditions, Neopaganism doesn't bar people from entry. We frankly lack the organization or dogmatism to do that anyway. As for my own tradition specifically, my tradition is my own. It is not meant for others. I would not welcome others into my tradition because to me, the point of walking these paths is to find your own path, not ape someone else. What works for me will not necessarily work for someone else, and what I value or the gods I actively worship will not be the same as the ones others wish to worship. As it should be.

Andal

resident hypnotist
Welcome :)

name:
religion:

Jess
US
Hindu

Follow one's Dharma and seek God/Truth

Grew up in a multi religion family and Sanatana Dharma chose me in my early 20's.

A connection with God, a deep sense of tradition and belonging to an ancient community.

Reincarnation until moksha is attained. In my tradition liberation is to be in eternal relationship with Sri Narayana in Vaikunta.

This one is hard to say because it has impacted so much. I had a complete change from atheism to theism almost over night. I want from a meat eater to vegetarian too.

My religion impacts how i understand myself and the world. I'd like to think it has moved me along on my path too :)

That you have to be Indian to be Hindu, that we worship cows, that we support the caste system, and that we don't support women.

We have many. It really depends on the tradition. We have the Vedas and Upanishads, the Epics, the Puranas, the Agamas etc. Personally I like the Narayana Upanishad and the Bhagavad Gita.

Modern or ancient?

On occasion. Now I tend to just smile and roll my eyes lol.

Yes every social group globally has it's extremists.

I go to mandir (temple) when I can. Most of our worship and practice happens at home though.

God is Sri Vishnu. He has many names and forms (Narayana, Keshava, Krishna, Balaji, Rama, Hari, Bhagavan, etc) God also has the female aspect in his consort, Sri Lakshmi Maa.

Then there are thousands of devas or gods and goddesses.

Janmashtami (Krishna's Birthday)
Kartika (sacred month)
Diwali
Holi
Raksha-bandan
Rama Navami

I will also observe Navaratri and Mahashivaratri.

Yes

Curiosity

If they were in my face about it I may try to educate them otherwise I typically shrug and keep on walking. When there are more political issues then I rely on groups like HAF and Hinduism Today to fight the good fight as I'm not skilled in that department :)

Yes. Although every so often you will run into someone with some very odd views about race and religion.

Good luck on your project :)

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
I'm non-denominational and don't belong to any religion because I've never felt the need..:)

Jesus said-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)
"And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Hope this isn't too late:

Name: BeenHere
Religion: solitary eclectic animist/shamanist
1) Active demonstration of respect for all persons, human and non-human
2) Started later. Raised Presbyterian, tried born-again Christian, then atheism, then agnosticism, finally animism
3) Feeling of connection, simplicity, wonderousness...;^)
4) The I stops, but you go on...exactly how, I'm not sure...
5) It's changed by attitude, my focus, my actions, as I have increasingly incorporated it into all aspects of my life.
6) The idea that it's somehow separate from who I am, what I do; it is ME, all the time. That I believe trees and rocks have souls; no, they are persons who deserve respect and consideration.
7) No. I keep a journal. i read books and articles by others who believe similar things.
8) No one.
9) Followers of the Book have on occasion stumbled across me while looking for converts. They have a different worldview and belief system that I simply do not share.
10) I'm sure there are extremist animists...well, maybe, maybe not. I doubt it. That wouldn't be respecting other persons.
11) At home, or wherever I happen to be when I need to engage in "worship"
12) Some of the other-than-human-persons I acknowledge are much, much bigger/more powerful than I am, some are at the limits of my ability to perceive and/or conceive. I suspect that there are others, larger, more powerful still, but I simply can't experience them.
13) In a secular manner, I observe the common Christian and secular holidays of American culture. I try to do a little more in ritual and ceremony as the seasons change, often associated with the full and cross quarters--but that's just convenient.
14) My children were pretty much grown by the time I adopted this path. They are interested, but not that much.
15) I don't share much unless people are close, so I don't get reactions from many people.
16) I would stand up for my rights; in America, Freedom of Religion, Freedom of speech, Freedom on my own property, etc.
17) Sure. But I'm not recruiting. ;^)
10)

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Hi there smithrosem,

No commentary? No feedback? No extended "thank yous" for introspective replies? None?

I'm shocked. NO, really.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
name: R.T.
where you're from: 'Merica
religion:Thelema

Do what thou Wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
Love is the law, love under will.

Essentially, I believe that everyone has the right to and should work to understand themselves, express themselves, do what they want to, and find the perfect path through their life.

Came later.

That it encourages and rewards individualism and uniqueness, and that it is fully compatible with facts and knowledge.

I won't speak for others, but I believe death is the end of "me" as my consciousness will be no more.

It has completely changed and improved my life (for the most part).

The most common misconception is that the Law of Thelema is "do whatever you want", which could not be farther from the truth. The Law is actually a very complete moral, philosophical, and religious idea. It also is considered a religion of "evil" by many, but this is common of religions that are off the beaten path. Finally, I think it is a common misconception that there is a lot of set dogma, that certain groups speak for all Thelema, etc. All it take to be a Thelemite is to accept the Law and the basic ideas that logically flow from it.

I don't think I like the term "holy book", but for the sake of this I will say yes. It is called The Book of the Law.

Well you can't discuss Thelema without someone bringing up Aleister Crowley. Definitely important, but there is a vast difference between Thelema and Crowleyanism. Also, A.'.A.'. and OTO may be Thelemic, but they are not the be all end all of Thelema. I am beginning to digress though, so moving on...

Of course, this is a silly question.

Of course, this is also a silly question in a way.

In my mind.

The main deities in the "Thelemic Pantheon" are Nuit, Hadit, and Ra/Horus. I also use Yaldabaoth, Hathor, Baphomet, Samael, Lilith, Ma'at, Thoth, Kephri, Melek Taus, Babalon, and Chaos.

May eve, Halloween / the Day of the Dead, the solstices and equinoxes, and birthdays.

To an extent. The religion can get very, very complicated and requires reasoning abilities and individualism. I would teach the basics and then expand when they were old through discussing rather than teaching.

That it is strange. People often are conservatively religious or militantly secular it seems. This makes the use of psychology, symbols, archetypes, etc very hard to explain. Same with magick.

If they wanted and were going to listen, I would answer any question. Otherwise I don't really care how they feel. Do what thou wilt.

With open arms, in most cases.