• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion versus Spirituality

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Religion and spirituality; are there differences, or are they the same thing? Are they mutually exclusive, or are there overlaps between the two?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
My rabbi once asked what the difference between the two was, and my daughter gave what I thought to be a fitting answer: Spirituality is what we feel, religion is what we do.

Spirituality deals with feelings, emotions, and internal balance. It's the connection we feel to whatever is out there. It's individual and vauge.

Religion is a system; it's full of ritual and defining what is sacred and setting it apart from the mundane. It gives shape and identity to our spirituality.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Overlap to a degree, imo. In my own situation, I worship the deities, I pray, I meditate, but I perform only one ritual... lamp lighting, incense, water, and sweets offerings. I think of them often and try to do things with them in mind. I think that's spiritual. I've come to dislike attending temple because of the rituals. I feel that is religion.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
My rabbi once asked what the difference between the two was, and my daughter gave what I thought to be a fitting answer: Spirituality is what we feel, religion is what we do.

Spirituality deals with feelings, emotions, and internal balance. It's the connection we feel to whatever is out there. It's individual and vauge.

Religion is a system; it's full of ritual and defining what is sacred and setting it apart from the mundane. It gives shape and identity to our spirituality.

I think your daughter is a bright girl :)

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Religion and spirituality; are there differences, or are they the same thing? Are they mutually exclusive, or are there overlaps between the two?

In Baha'i Faith, Spirituality is part of the Religion.
Religion has two parts: Spirituality and Social Laws.
Spirituality means, having virtues, kindness, patience, forgiveness, generosity and etc.

In Baha'i View, the source and root of spiritual teachings is Religion. The ultimate goal of spirituality is nearness to God.

Last edited:

RJ50

In spite of sadly being a 'born again' as a young person, I have NEVER felt anything one could term as 'spirituality..

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Oh well my mind isn't a temple in that case!:D

Isn't your heart/mind your own personal sacred (private) space? It's certainly not public space!

Lintfelmy

"Religion is for people that don't want to go to hell.
Spirituality is for people that have already been there." Not that I believe in hell. Or heaven for that matter...It is an interesting quote none the less

Last edited: