• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religions answers to the suffering of innocents

Maninthemiddle

No matter what your faith may be, inevitably the question will arise from others: Why does God allow bad things to happen to innocent children? From the perspective of your religion, how do you answer this? In my opinion, Buddhism's concept of karma provides a meaningful response. However, I am open to hearing about the explanations offered by other religions. I do not claim that Buddhism has all the answers, which is why I am interested in exploring this question further.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
From the Hindu perspective of karma, more specifically, my flavor of Vedanta, Isvara (God) is dispassionate and doesn't "allow (or disallow) things to happen." Isvara merely tracks karmic action, and dispenses the fruits of these actions.

That said, "things" that happen to innocent children, while possibly impacted by karmic action, are more commonly the fruits of the parents' actions.

RestlessSoul

I’m not sure, from my own very loosely Christian perspective, that there is an answer, for how can man know the mind of God? The OT answer always seems to be variations of “Trust your God, and do His will”.

Not sure the Gospels address the question directly, though “My Father’s Kingdom is not of this world” suggests we should not expect justice in this one. Caesar and Satan seem to have the worldly power between them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
No matter what your faith may be, inevitably the question will arise from others: Why does God allow bad things to happen to innocent children? From the perspective of your religion, how do you answer this? In my opinion, Buddhism's concept of karma provides a meaningful response. However, I am open to hearing about the explanations offered by other religions. I do not claim that Buddhism has all the answers, which is why I am interested in exploring this question further.
I suspect that without suffering people wouldn't have motivation to do much. We act generally to overcome suffering or to avoid it altogether.

So if there were a God and they wanted to create a species who sat around doing nothing then remove all suffering from their experience.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I said something here that pertains to this point

https://www.religiousforums.com/threads/why-do-you-reject-jesus.279163/post-8634648

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Why does God allow bad things to happen to innocent children? From the perspective of your religion, how do you answer this? In my opinion, Buddhism's concept of karma provides a meaningful response. However, I am open to hearing about the explanations offered by other religions. I do not claim that Buddhism has all the answers, which is why I am interested in exploring this question further.
:) There is no evidence or possibility of existence of any God or Goddess. Don't pass the blame on fictitious entities.
Though I am not a Buddhist, I think the Buddhist answer is 'skandhas' (aggregates - vedana, samjna, samskaras Skandha - Wikipedia)
In Advaita Hinduism that I follow, it is chance, uncertainty and probability. More or less the same, conditions that come to exist.
I suspect that without suffering people wouldn't have motivation to do much. We act generally to overcome suffering or to avoid it altogether.
So if there were a God and they wanted to create a species who sat around doing nothing then remove all suffering from their experience.
You mean God did it, God wanted it like that?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Why does God allow bad things to happen to innocent children? From the perspective of your religion, how do you answer this?

This is how I answer:

Bad things happen to innocent children because the world is not perfect. Only God is perfect. Even though the world cannot be perfect; God is granting the individuals of the world tools and resources to ease the suffering of innocent children. God is good.

Maninthemiddle

From the Hindu perspective of karma, more specifically, my flavor of Vedanta, Isvara (God) is dispassionate and doesn't "allow (or disallow) things to happen." Isvara merely tracks karmic action, and dispenses the fruits of these actions.

That said, "things" that happen to innocent children, while possibly impacted by karmic action, are more commonly the fruits of the parents' actions.
So if a child is born blind or worse you think it’s the parents fault.

Maninthemiddle

I’m not sure, from my own very loosely Christian perspective, that there is an answer, for how can man know the mind of God? The OT answer always seems to be variations of “Trust your God, and do His will”.

Not sure the Gospels address the question directly, though “My Father’s Kingdom is not of this world” suggests we should not expect justice in this one. Caesar and Satan seem to have the worldly power between them.
If this is true then why should Gods commandments be followed.

Maninthemiddle

If this is true then why should Gods commandments be followed.
:) There is no evidence or possibility of existence of any God or Goddess. Don't pass the blame on fictitious entities.
Though I am not a Buddhist, I think the Buddhist answer is 'skandhas' (aggregates - vedana, samjna, samskaras Skandha - Wikipedia)
In Advaita Hinduism that I follow, it is chance, uncertainty and probability. More or less the same, conditions that come to exist.

You mean God did it, God wanted it like that?
you said don’t blame fictitious identities, I don’t recall blaming anyone.
I spoke of karma which is the fault of the individual

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
No matter what your faith may be, inevitably the question will arise from others: Why does God allow bad things to happen to innocent children? From the perspective of your religion, how do you answer this?

From my perspective, I wish that more people spent less time talking about why God allows bad things to happen to innocent people and more time dealing with why we allow so many bad things to happen to innocent people.

Before speculating about karma, lets focus on indifference.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The OT answer always seems to be variations of “Trust your God, and do His will”.

... variations of "trust because your ways are perfect and just. Ours are not.". The implication is none are perfect except for God, including all of the created material world.

for how can man know the mind of God?

What is known about God is limited to what God is revealing to each individual, but, the answer to the question can be derived logically.

There are 3 and only 3 cases:
  1. God is benevolent
  2. God is neutral or absent
  3. God is malicious
The only one which permits the creation of a material world is case#1. This is not clear and obvious because the implications of God's absolutely literally infinite magnitude are not understood or applied when answering the question: why does God permit harm to innocent children?