• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

religious artifacts used by Taoists

jerzybg

Hi,
Do you have any distinctive ceremonial objects (religious artifacts) like prayer beads, religious pictures, pins, pendants, medals and so on?

PureX

Veteran Member
There are a number of superstition-based religions that often get lumped in with taoism (I think wrongly), that I'm sure will have had their share of idols and devices. But taoism is more a philosophy than a religion and does not address the concept of "God", or of the "supernatural". So would not use such idols or spiritual devices.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Have to agree with Divine I don't think there are.

If there were any I think they'd differ from person to person and would problem have some practical use, rather than just being a symbol.

jerzybg

Do not you have any paintings (like tankhas) and statues of deities in your homes?
I have found a photo of a Taoist priest using something looked like a prayer beads.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Probably.

Taoism in China is not the same as Taoism outside in many cases. You might want to investigate Chinese taoism if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

The park is my prayer bead.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Most Taoist religious art is Chinese in origin, and there are no Traditionalist taoists present on this form. Taoism is a philosophy/lifeguide to all of us I think. (correct me if I'm wrong guys)

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
I have some luxurious figurines of Lu Dongbin and Quan-Yin and a Dragon figurine made of Jade. These are certainly ceremonial objects but I don't use them in that capacity. Perhaps a little. They are not so sacred to me though that I'm disturbed by my brother making mock love to Quan-Yin. Well ok perhaps a little.

I have several books on Taoist art. I absolutely love the stuff! I would have prints all over my walls if I knew where to get them. If I wasn't still on dial-up then I'd be tempted to post a load of pics and comments.

Jerzybg we are all Tao-Chia type Taoists here, not Tao-Chiao. Ceremonial objects would be very common in Tao-Chiao but not Tao-Chia. I'll copy and paste something from another thread about the difference: -

Tao-Chia
A philosophical school of thought that is well known through the Tao Te Ching and the Chuang Tzu. Evocative and mystical rather than dogmatic it emphasises keeping an open/empty mind, humility, simplicity, reverence of nature, apophasis, freedom from craving and adaptability to circumstances. Generally speaking this is what is known as Taoism in the West.

Tao-Chiao
A whole host of religious sects whose traditions include influences from Taoism, local folklore, Confucianism and Buddhism. They have hierarchical structures, strict moral teachings and practice rituals and ceremonies. Beliefs of these sects covers an enormous number of things. For example: the after-life, a large pantheon of Gods, divine revelation, salvation, a form of karma, ghosts & spirits, etc.

If you want to know more about Tao-Chiao then there's a really accessible book called 'The Taoist Manual' by Brock Silvers.

d.

_______
i think the bottom line here is that no ceremonies or objects are at all prescribed by taoism.

that some of us enjoy art objects inspired by taoist ideas however, is another matter. i love chinese gu qin music and taoist paintings, for example.

d.

_______
Scarlett Wampus said:
They are not so sacred to me though that I'm disturbed by my brother making mock love to Quan-Yin. Well ok perhaps a little.

i'd be more worried about your brother, mate. :p

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
jerzybg said:
Hi,
Do you have any distinctive ceremonial objects (religious artifacts) like prayer beads, religious pictures, pins, pendants, medals and so on?

*revives thread with CPR*

Well, I have a very distinctive Orthodox Christian icon that I rather enjoy looking at, and a few asian knick knacks scattered around; but I'd hardly consider them 'Taoist artifacts' nor do I collect them for any particular use or purpose. As others have noted, Tao Jia does not require or concern itself with any such objects, rituals or ceremonies.

@ChrisP: Personally I'd consider my Taoism to be closer to a religion, but it's hardly an important distinction. :)