• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious vs. Spiritual

Pariah

Let go
What does it mean to be spiritual? What does it mean to be religious?
Are they non-different?
Is it possible to be spiritual without being religious?

Does a belief in God make you spiritual? Does it make you religious?
Can an atheist be spiritual?

Inky

The definitions are very fuzzy for those two words, from my experience. Often I hear "religious" as a negative term where "spiritual" is good, but I think they can both be worthwhile. I like to use "spiritual" for the personal and private parts of faith, and "religious" for the social parts. So it would be possible to be spiritual without being religious, but being religious probably requires spirituality.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Spiritual = Spirit has Dual sides to it, in understanding this it is like the Ying and Yang...

Religious = God and reality can be defined by man’s laws.......

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Spiritual = Spirit has Dual sides to it, in understanding this it is like the Ying and Yang...

I would have to agree to this. Also to me(just me), to be religious is to follow the rule of a religion, by there book, or what every they use.
To be Spiritual is to have a relationship with God or Gods with having to follow there rule in a book or what not. It's all about respect.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade

I'm not sure that such things can be divided so... Simply. Many religions exhort the benefits of cultivating a spiritual dimension to one's identity, and many spiritual paths utilise aspects of religiosity in defining and guiding those that follow.

Personally, I tend to believe that both are inter-connected aspects of the same fundamental expression of human nature; the desire to seek and the affinity in finding patterns and recurrences within and without, and our attempts to understand and explain these patterns to ourselves and others. Whilst different in substance, they share the same essence.

------

Even with this understanding, perhaps it is impossible to capture entirely and communicate completely the essence of both concepts, at least whilst relying upon other words and concepts. As such, ultimately perhaps the only answers I can feel qualified to give to such questions posed in the OP are variations of ‘maybe’.

It took an interesting detour to get there though... :)

(I would however suggest that any belief, or lack thereof, in God does not 'make' you anything. Rather, it is how one reacts, in defining, comparing and contextualising oneself, in light of that intellectual position that does)

Super Universe

Defender of God
In my opinion, being spiritual is developing your own understanding of God.

Being religious is choosing to follow others understanding of God.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Religion is social and cultural. Spiritual is personal and individual.

Though, in usage, I will use these words interchangebly. Really, I use religion to define a religion as a set philosophy and practice, whereas spirituality is a journey towards meaning. One is static, the other dynamic.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Religion is social and cultural. Spiritual is personal and individual.

Though, in usage, I will use these words interchangebly. Really, I use religion to define a religion as a set philosophy and practice, whereas spirituality is a journey towards meaning. One is static, the other dynamic.

I like this meaning the best. I always use analogies: Religion is a set of commandments, Spiritual is prayer.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Religious

Gal 1:13-14
(13) For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
(14) And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

Arguing points remind us of our self’s......

Spiritual

Mat 11:16-17
(16) But whereunto shall I liken this generation? It is like unto children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows,
(17) And saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned unto you, and ye have not lamented.

Luk 18:17
(17) Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.