• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rename FOX News?

Should "FOX News" be renamed to "FOX Opinion"?

• Total voters

jonny

I can't decide which is more pathetic - the conservatives constantly complaining that CNN is too liberal (a.k.a. the Clinton News Network) or the liberals whining that Fox News is too conservative (a.k.a. Faux News). I tend to lean towards believing that both sides of the argument equally pathetic.

I don't agree with any of the choices in the poll.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Should "FOX News" be renamed to "FOX Opinion"?

(Credit this idea to Keith Olbermann, who mentioned it on the Countdown last night.)

Yeah! God forbid the other networks actually lean in any direction or have NO bias...:rolleyes:

Seriously, having bias doesn't necessarily mean one can't get anything out of it. I get good info. from New York Times and their leanings are rather obvious to me.

So, if you want to rename one, rename them all for what they are.

powder21

Always Changing
So, if you want to rename one, rename them all for what they are.
Definitely agree from my logical side. Everyone is biased in one way or the other. However, since I'm more liberal than conservative (although I hate using either term...I like what Hillary said in the debate about Modern Progressive) I would have to agree with the following:

They should change the name to "The Dung-Throwing Monkey Network."
LOL!!! Best title I've heard for the Republican Spin Machine...Throwing crap is thier specialty.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I can't decide which is more pathetic - the conservatives constantly complaining that CNN is too liberal (a.k.a. the Clinton News Network) or the liberals whining that Fox News is too conservative (a.k.a. Faux News). I tend to lean towards believing that both sides of the argument equally pathetic.

While I hear conservatives complain about CNN being too liberal and liberals complaining that Fox News is too conservative, there are more than a few moderate journalists of note who dislike Fox News not because it has a slant, but because it has lax journalistic standards.

These same journalists also tend to complain that CNN is often not news. I mean, is it really national news to know that there's a 4-alarm fire in PA? Shall I drive over from GA with a bucket of water, or what? :sarcastic

rocka21

Brother Rock
LOL!!! Best title I've heard for the Republican Spin Machine...Throwing crap is thier specialty.

and what should we call the democratic party spin machine?
........there specialty is?

Booko

Deviled Hen
and what should we call the democratic party spin machine?
........there specialty is?

Apparently their speciality doesn't include a 24 hour news network.

That may make their dung-flinging less efficient, but I can't say for sure.

rocka21

Brother Rock

then who is allen combs? if they were the conservative speciality network, why even have him rebut?

or why give any libs a chance to appear on the network?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
All the major news stations, with BBC being the only exception I can think of, should have their "News" acronyms replaced with "Opinion."

And they all slant right [capitalism]. Fox just does it the best. :p

nutshell

Your bias is evident. There are more liberal 24 hour news networks than conservative ones.

jonny

While I hear conservatives complain about CNN being too liberal and liberals complaining that Fox News is too conservative, there are more than a few moderate journalists of note who dislike Fox News not because it has a slant, but because it has lax journalistic standards.

These same journalists also tend to complain that CNN is often not news. I mean, is it really national news to know that there's a 4-alarm fire in PA? Shall I drive over from GA with a bucket of water, or what? :sarcastic

Part of the problem is that there isn't 24 hours of national news to cover, so they have to fill up time with Paris Hilton & car chases. The stuff that they pretend is national news, is mostly just the news in New York, Washington DC or Atlanta (the places where the stations are based). Stuff that matters to people in states like Utah is largely ignored except for the random times where they pick up an Elizabeth Smart story. That's the way it is though because the reporters are based in these bigger cities and there is a larger audience. You have the same problem the ESPN and college sports. They concentrate on the big eastern conferences and ignore the smaller conferences. It got so bad that the Mountain West Conference actually created its own TV station and dumped ESPN.

Anyway, most of what people complain about on Fox isn't "journalism" and they don't even pretend that it is. It's commentary. I'd equate it to the editorial page in a newspaper. There are liberals and conservatives on Fox. Some people just have a hard time letting both sides have a voice - or maybe they're afraid that there arguments look stupid when put up against the other side.

jonny

Only if MSNBC, CNN and the other major news networks do the same.

Other than Sean Hannity, I don't think that any of Fox News' anchors are as openly conservative as people like MSNBC's Keith Oberman are openly liberal.

lunamoth

Will to love
Part of the problem is that there isn't 24 hours of national news to cover, so they have to fill up time with Paris Hilton & car chases. The stuff that they pretend is national news, is mostly just the news in New York, Washington DC or Atlanta (the places where the stations are based). Stuff that matters to people in states like Utah is largely ignored except for the random times where they pick up an Elizabeth Smart story. That's the way it is though because the reporters are based in these bigger cities and there is a larger audience. You have the same problem the ESPN and college sports. They concentrate on the big eastern conferences and ignore the smaller conferences. It got so bad that the Mountain West Conference actually created its own TV station and dumped ESPN.

Anyway, most of what people complain about on Fox isn't "journalism" and they don't even pretend that it is. It's commentary. I'd equate it to the editorial page in a newspaper. There are liberals and conservatives on Fox. Some people just have a hard time letting both sides have a voice - or maybe they're afraid that there arguments look stupid when put up against the other side.

Good point! Why is it that we need to have 24-hour news that's basically just filler? I doubt there's that much more news today than there was back when a nightly news hour (30 minute national, 30 min local) and a daily paper seemed to cover it.