• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republican found to be a ****. Police not called.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's an interesting take from the Democratic candidate for governor in Montana.

Noem has defended her story by proclaiming that Americans want “leaders who are authentic”. It’s a bad excuse. It’s also untrue, because Noem, like so many other political firebrands who are infiltrating and redefining the Republican party, is anything but authentic.

Her political brand is simply a veneer – a fake, stylized brand of dangerous Trump Republicanism whose moral roots are about as deep as a bad facelift. This brand not only fails what used to be the Republican party; it is also destroying and dividing the US, and it’s more evident than ever here in the American west.

In Montana, the Republican governor, Greg Gianforte, has a registered cattle brand, yet he owns no cattle. He takes agricultural tax exemptions on his luxury estate in Bozeman even though he doesn’t do much serious ranching or farming.

In 2021, Gianforte illegally shot and killed a collared Yellowstone wolf that had its leg caught in a steel-jawed trap. He wanted to stuff the wolf and display it in his office – presumably without its radio collar, which would have dampened the effect he was going for.

Then, after realizing he didn’t have the proper training certification to shoot a live animal stuck in a trap for what could have been days, Gianforte tried to lie to investigators about shooting it. If this sounds familiar, it is; in 2017 Gianforte also misled police officers after body-slamming a Guardian reporter.

Yet Gianforte wants his constituents to believe he is, somehow, a fair-chase hunter – a rugged, tough-guy Montanan, even though he spent most of his life in front of a computer screen in the Philadelphia suburbs. In Montana, we have a more accurate word for people like Greg Gianforte and Kristi Noem: posers.

Real hunters, real gun enthusiasts, real bird dog owners – “real Americans”, to use a phrase so often invoked by the Republican party – know that politicians like Gianforte and Noem are phoneys. They’re trying to create fake versions of themselves to publicly demonstrate their capacity for cruelty and extremism without being bothered by any responsibility or morality.

Real hunters are sickened about what Gianforte and Noem did because we understand our social compact. We know that real fair-chase hunting relies on a tightly woven fabric of self-enforced ethics, respect for our wildlife and the stewardship of the animals who have, for millennia, stood by our side – pets like the one Noem executed in a gravel pit with a shotgun because she was “untrainable”.

So, he's suggesting that the image of many Republicans as rugged outdoorspeople is mainly a put on. "Phonies" and "posers" he calls them.

Shaul

Premium Member
There is no causal link between being a Republican and what she did, only an associative one. You could have as easily written that a South Dakotan did it or a woman. This is another example of anti-Republican bashing nonsense.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Here's an interesting take from the Democratic candidate for governor in Montana.

So, he's suggesting that the image of many Republicans as rugged outdoorspeople is mainly a put on. "Phonies" and "posers" he calls them.

You've only posted this to trigger (no pun intended) me, haven't you? Well I'm not going to fall for it!

Pogo

Yes, he deserves some support from others and if he gets it, he has a chance. The beginnings of a new understanding in Montana.

Pogo

There is no causal link between being a Republican and what she did, only an associative one. You could have as easily written that a South Dakotan did it or a woman. This is another example of anti-Republican bashing nonsense.
No correlation does not equal causality, even though we see to many significant correlations with this type of behaviour and Republicans, What it does tell us is that we would do well to investigate further.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You've only posted this to trigger (no pun intended) me, haven't you? Well I'm not going to fall for it!

I actually posted it because I was impressed with this clever turn of a phrase:

"Her political brand is simply a veneer – a fake, stylized brand of dangerous Trump Republicanism whose moral roots are about as deep as a bad facelift."

And the reference to "real" Americans. Real Americans don't eat quiche!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Real Americans don't eat quiche!

that-or-what.jpg