• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russian Disinformation

esmith

Veteran Member
As most of us know the Justice Dept has taken action against various people and domain sites for what they say is propaganda/disinformation.
What I don't know is what propaganda/disinformation was being promulgated.
It's not that I don't trust the Justice Dept completly but they seem to have somewhat of a bad track record on their assessment of information given to the public.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
As most of us know the Justice Dept has taken action against various people and domain sites for what they say is propaganda/disinformation.
It's not that I don't trust the Justice Dept completly but they seem to have somewhat of a bad track record on their assessment of information given to the public.

This is part of it:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Based on that article, it appears that they're buying up media in the U.S., which isn't much different from what other major corporations and media conglomerates have been doing these past decades. I think it's safe to say that every political faction is vying for influence and to try to shift public opinion in their favor. Even those from other countries might try to do so.

As for these American right-wing "influencers" supposedly working for the Russians, who cares what they have to say anyway? Nobody can be influenced unless they want to be influenced.

I think it says more about the gullibility of the American public than it does about any nefarious intentions on the Russians' part.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Any big bureaucracy tends that way. Many businesses hide information that the public needs. That's why we have FOIA where people can at least have a way of demanding to know what is going on.

But however imperfect the system is, Trump promised to make it totally political and thus utterly untrustworthy as is the case in authoritarian countries all over the world.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Based on that article, it appears that they're buying up media in the U.S., which isn't much different from what other major corporations and media conglomerates have been doing these past decades. I think it's safe to say that every political faction is vying for influence and to try to shift public opinion in their favor. Even those from other countries might try to do so.

As for these American right-wing "influencers" supposedly working for the Russians, who cares what they have to say anyway? Nobody can be influenced unless they want to be influenced.

I think it says more about the gullibility of the American public than it does about any nefarious intentions on the Russians' part.

The keyword in your post is 'gullible'. As a former STEM educator, and researcher, I must say that the critical thinking skills among many Americans today is simply appalling, in my humble opinion.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It already happens.
So much stuff about Putin and the War is unavailable in English. Only in Italian because we have basically no restrictions.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It already happens.
So much stuff about Putin and the War is unavailable in English. Only in Italian because we have basically no restrictions.

But that is media and that is lies. That is not the truth as such. The real truth is something else. So which is it?

I got it now. You are part of in effect media and we can't trust you. See, that was easy. ;) :D

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The keyword in your post is 'gullible'. As a former STEM educator, and researcher, I must say that the critical thinking skills among many Americans today is simply appalling, in my humble opinion.

Yes, that seems to be a recurring problem. I've seen this discussion played out during my life, and for the most part, the prevailing opinion has been that this is a democracy and the will of the people is what it is - regardless of how they reached their decision or what might have influenced them. A lot of people have complained about the media and its influence on the electoral process, and the typical response for decades has been "If you don't like what you hear or read in the media, turn it off and don't buy it."

The central idea being that, if the public doesn't like an idea or product, they won't buy it. Whether it's a capitalist marketplace of products and services, or a political marketplace of ideas and candidates, it's pretty much the system we have. It's an open market - it's what many have wanted for a long time without giving much consideration to the potential consequences.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This makes me so glad that I don't pay any attention to any influencers at all.
That's wise. I also am very skeptical about media outlets that are known to be inaccurate If I go outside the "Green" area my skepticism goes way up.

Media-Bias-Chart-12.0_Jan-2024-Unlicensed-Social-1536x1215.jpg

Ebionite

For some context on Russian interference in U.S. politics I'd recommend a deep dive into the circumstances surrounding the death of Seth Rich.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You seriously believe the capacity to be influenced by misinformation and propaganda is a purely voluntary act?

Are you serious?

In today's day and age, when most people have access to a plethora of information and a wide variety of news sources, I can't see that there's anything stopping anyone from accessing other sources of information. If they choose to remain inside an echo chamber, it's their choice to do so.

Unless you're suggesting that someone is using some kind of secret mind-control ray or something.

In a closed society, where internet, media, and press are strictly controlled, you might have a point, but we're talking about media and internet in the U.S. here.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
In today's day and age, when most people have access to a plethora of information and a wide variety of news sources,
Stop right there.

You do realise that having such a wealth of information and resources can actually lead to misinformation, right? There is no one "come here for the actual facts" source - the abundance of various news sites with various agendas, the vast number of pundits, think-tanks, channels, tweets, all of these things make it very difficult for a great number of people to really be able to parse misinformation from information. You can't just put all of this on individuals "choosing not to expose themselves to facts". The situation is more complicated. Being misinformed, especially in this day and age, is not always a voluntary act.

I can't see that there's anything stopping anyone from accessing other sources of information. If they choose to remain inside an echo chamber, it's their choice to do so.
Unless they aren't aware they're in an echo chamber, or if there are coercive factors preventing them from leaving that echo chamber, or if the internet services they use are set up in some way that actively dissuades them from leaving that echo chamber.

Unless you're suggesting that someone is using some kind of secret mind-control ray or something.
Do you believe propaganda and misinformation influences people? Yes or no?

In a closed society, where internet, media, and press are strictly controlled, you might have a point, but we're talking about media and internet in the U.S. here.
And the US has absolutely no history of media control, bias, or businesses being entrenched in, say, social media?

Come on. Do you seriously want to argue that mass disinformation and propaganda is only a problem because people are CHOOSING to be misinformed?? If this were true, the solution would be as simple as explaining facts to people. But it isn't, so it isn't.

Don't be absurd.