• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sabbath or Sunday?

james2ko

Not sure why it would need to be biblically supported since it began before most of those books were even written. I'd be happy to.... please start another thread in a debate forum if you want to discuss it further.

It would be an exercise in futility to debate why the Catholics felt the need to change the Sabbath day. I just wanted to know the reasoning behind it, which you just answered. Thank you.

Scott1

Welcome.

Any chance you'll answer my question? Still waiting to learn why the Apostles were wrong...

Do the "Lord's Day" and Sabbath mean the same thing to you folks? As someone who knows Greek, maybe you can explain how the same word was used for both instances.

Thanks in advance.

james2ko

Welcome.

Any chance you'll answer my question? Still waiting to learn why the Apostles were wrong...

Wrong about what? Paul kept the Sabbath [Saturday]. No reason to believe the others did not.

Do the "Lord's Day" and Sabbath mean the same thing to you folks? As someone who knows Greek, maybe you can explain how the same word was used for both instances. Thanks in advance.

I do not believe the "Lord’s day" in Rev. 1:10 refers to a particular day of the week. In vision, John was thrust forward in time into the "Lord’s Day" or "Day of the Lord" (Rev. 1:10) and was given messages regarding "...things which are, and things which shall be hereafter" [future tense](1:19). It is a prophetic scripture referring to the one-year period of God's wrath being poured upon the earth.

Edit: BTW the same Greek word was not used in Rev 1:10 [kuriakos] for the Lords day as for the Sabbath [sabbaton]

Last edited:

Scott1

I get ya.... so you believe sometime after that the first century Christians decided to ignore this one teaching of the Apostles.

Okey dokey... Appreciate the chat-- don't think in all my years here I got a chance to hear from someone who believes this way. Love learning new stuff!

Peace be with you,
S

james2ko

I get ya.... so you believe sometime after that the first century Christians decided to ignore this one teaching of the Apostles.

No. I believe sometime during and after the first century, false teachers crept into the "true" church (Jud 4)and gradually decided to change a few things to the point where "true" Christians had to depart.

Okey dokey... Appreciate the chat-- don't think in all my years here I got a chance to hear from someone who believes this way. Love learning new stuff! Peace be with you,

And also with you. :)

reddogs

After 6 days of creation, God has rested in the 7th day, and established the rest in that day for humans, as monument of creation. “By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.”(Genesis 2:2,3)

God have rested in Sabbath, not because He needed to rest. It is not inherent to God to overstrain and to be exhausted. “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.”(Isaiah 40:28)

The verb to rest, means to stop the matters for some time. God has acted like this because He wanted to give the humans an opportunity to have rest. God has blessed the Sabbath and that day became a day of Gods goodwill and the source of blessings.

When God blessed the Sabbath, He made it Holy, and separated, for the humans could enrich through the contact with God.

Besides the fact that God has made the 7th day as a special day from the creation, He also putted it in command in the Ten Commandments, which had given in the Sinai Mountain. That command is the forth in the Ten Commandments and it sounds: “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.”(Exodus 20:8-11)

All of the Ten Commandments are obligated and we can’t disregard even the one of them. “For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.”(James 2:10)

But God, had foreseen the will of the satan to distort the commandment about the Sabbath, so He had warned the humans not to forget its importance.

Keeping the Sabbath as the monument of the creation makes it an antidote for idolatry. That day reminds us that only the real God had created the sky and the earth, contradicting Him to the false gods.

God has called the Sabbath: “Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the LORD made them holy.”(Ezekiel 20:12)

Jesus Christ, when He made His service on the earth, gave us an example of keeping the Sabbath. By His life He has shown us how the Lord wants from us to keep that command. In Luke we can see: “He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom…”(Luke 4:16)

His participation in Sabbaths divine service proved that He had counted the Sabbath a day of special worship.

His disciples have also related to the Sabbath as the day with a special respect. Even when Jesus died, they had stopped all the preparation in the burial of the body, and remained in peace until the first day of the week. “Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. But they rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment.”(Luke 23:56), “On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. “(Luke 24:1)

Undoubtedly, the Sabbath had played the most important role in worshiping God as a Creator and the Redeemer, and that’s why that command became the first target of the satan. With his will to humiliate God as a creator, he started very good planned war against God and his followers, to destroy that holy statement.

His plan was not in destroying Gods commands, but he decided to tricky distort that commands, so that he’ll redirect the humans to violate at least one of the divine commands. Which in the end will become his base of accusing the humans in inappropriate observance of the laws of God.

Nowhere in the bible we can see, that the command of keeping the 7th day as a worship day to the Lord, has changed. That command was given in the paradise, and continued in the Sinai Mountain, and continues to remain even in our days. The holy bible insists on the holy keeping of the seventh day.

In your opinion, what is the real worship day, the sabbath or the sunday?

If the Sabbath was abolished, there would be many verses and much text to show it, yet there is none. The apostles would have had many discussions and the councils at Jerusalem would have written at least one with a determination of it being abolished and yet there is nothing. Paul exhorts in Corinthians that Circumcision is nothing in comparison to the Ten Commandments.“Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the Commandments of God.” 1 Corinthians 7:19. Since there are more than forty verses and up to ten verses at a time clearly stating that Circumcision of the flesh is a yoke of bondage and abolished, how many scriptures would you expect stating the Sabbath was abolished or changed to Sunday? Perhaps seventy or more?The fact is there is not even one verse that says,“The Sabbath is abolished or is now Sunday.”

The Ten Commandments are the only thing that God personally spoke and then personally etched His Law into stone tablets with His own finger. Yet there is not one clear scripture or commandment from Christ or even a direction from a apostle to abolish the Sabbath anywhere in scripture, just a couple of erroneous assumptions. One of God's Commandments supposedly changes or is abolished and we do not have even one clear verse. Why not? The answer is simple. It was never abolished or changed to Sunday by the authority of God so no such scripture exists.