• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sam Harris' LA Times op-ed on Sarah Palin

There are too many points that are good in that article, but this one, This is one of the many points at which narcissism becomes indistinguishable from masochism, is a gem...

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
As I have said below, I think it is a bit on the absurd side to critize Palin's inexperience so much, as almost disasterous, while you would be voting directly for nearly as much inexperience with Obama...

But, I agree with the other point, while not agreeing with his commentary... America deserves what it votes for.

October

teacher's pet in Potions
This is one of the many points at which narcissism becomes indistinguishable from masochism. Let me put it plainly: If you want someone just like you to be president of the United States, or even vice president, you deserve whatever dysfunctional society you get. You deserve to be poor, to see the environment despoiled, to watch your children receive a fourth-rate education and to suffer as this country wages – and loses – both necessary and unnecessary wars.
McCain has so little respect for the presidency of the United States that he is willing to put the girl next door (soon, too, to be a grandma) into office beside him. He has so little respect for the average American voter that he thinks this reckless and cynical ploy will work.

I love this.

And Palin scares the hell out of me. I don't think very highly of cultists, and much of what I've read about her "church", not to mention her constanting labelling everything that fits her agenda as "God's work" is frightening. I would never have voted for McCain anyway, but this is a guarentee that I will not. I'm not so worried about her ending up president if McCain dies, but simply having someone that mad in power at any level is horrifying.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Ewww. I live in a Republican household and I just yelled at my mother because she said she is absolutely voting for McCain. They have the RNC blaring right now in the living room AND kitchen and I've gagged twice..... blech.

rojse

RF Addict
As I have said below, I think it is a bit on the absurd side to critize Palin's inexperience so much, as almost disasterous, while you would be voting directly for nearly as much inexperience with Obama...

That's like comparing experience packing shelves at a grocery store to experience running the accounts and managing incoming deliveries of a small retail business. Certainly, both are applicable for retail management, but which experience is better for a candidate in a senior management position?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Actually, I think the entire experience argument as originally proposed is an attempt to get the focus OFF of substantive policy issues. I'm surprised that the Obama campaign is letting this happen, and I think the McCain campaign is fine for this to continue to be the focus, even if it is focused on their VP candidate. I think the substantive issues are far more dangerous for the McCain campaign. Palin makes a good stalking horse for the media, doesn't she?

I love this.

And Palin scares the hell out of me. I don't think very highly of cultists, and much of what I've read about her "church", not to mention her constanting labelling everything that fits her agenda as "God's work" is frightening. I would never have voted for McCain anyway, but this is a guarentee that I will not. I'm not so worried about her ending up president if McCain dies, but simply having someone that mad in power at any level is horrifying.

You should know by now that God is a Republican...:sarcastic

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
That's like comparing experience packing shelves at a grocery store to experience running the accounts and managing incoming deliveries of a small retail business. Certainly, both are applicable for retail management, but which experience is better for a candidate in a senior management position?
I'd say the person who managed the small business would be better experience than the person who stocked shelves ;) Which in the scenario would be Palin(edit: ) that has the managing experience...

Last edited:

tomspug

Absorbant
You're right, and Obama is the grocer.

He hasn't drafted a single law, he passed on voting 130 times while in his state legislature (which I'm sure was a big hit for the people who voted for him), and his pre-congress experience amounts to being a "community organizer". It's pretty obvious who has more experience.

Feridan

Great article - still can't understand how members of the Christian Taliban manage to get elected to anything in the US in this day and age. What is this American infatuation with ancient Middle Eastern drivel? Why aren't they laughed off the stage?

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I love this.

Why do you label her church a cult? It is a main church denomination, worldwide, so please unless you have more knowledge please do not hurl insults....No it is not my denomination but I do know a great deal about the church......I think that is unfair her church isn't running for office she is............

Great article - still can't understand how members of the Christian Taliban manage to get elected to anything in the US in this day and age. What is this American infatuation with ancient Middle Eastern drivel? Why aren't they laughed off the stage?

Good question. Only in the US of A there is a public fight trying Creationism to be inserted into the school curriculum; only in the US of A there are people actively trying to get prayers back into the schools. The rest of the world are standing baffled that a country with such wealth, the shining light once for the world to follow, is a self-destructive path.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

The world may never know. :shrug:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think that is unfair her church isn't running for office she is............

But the church reflects their personal convictions, which can influence how they perform in office. The church could even pull their strings.

And in my humble opinion, what differentiates a religion from a cult is only the size of membership.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
For the same reason you aren't laughed off the forum for you "Christian Taliban ... drivel."

LittlePinky82

But, I agree with the other point, while not agreeing with his commentary... America deserves what it votes for.

Obama has actually been over seas to Iraq at least twice and remember his trip not long ago? And Joe Biden has over three decades of politics. At least Obama knows the job of the presidency unlike Palin who doesn't even know what the VP does.... :rolleyes: