• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same God?

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Yes,Islam probably states that,it corrects Judaism and christianity.Why are you surprised:confused:.
Yeah, it does sound rather panentheistic.
Thats obvious in Christianity .
I am the light that shines over all things. I am everywhere. From me all came forth, and to me all return.
Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift a stone, and you will find me there,

----Gospel of Thomas.

But any kind of immanence is frowned upon in Islam.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Far as I know, what Knight posted a while back is quite correct. Rabbinic Judaism has traditionally held that there is only one God. Jewish legists have also held that both Christians and Muslims count as monotheists, and that they are worshipping the One God in ways appropriate to them. In other words, it's not that their teachings are wrong, their teachings are simply intended for others; while it's not that the teachings of Judaism are exclusively right, but that they are intended for Jews, and not others.

Many, but not all, modern Jews also feel that since there is only One God, many other religions which appear to be polytheistic on the surface may actually be deemed to be worshipping the One God, but are doing so from a multitude of incomplete perspectives, such as in Hinduism.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Many, but not all, modern Jews also feel that since there is only One God, many other religions which appear to be polytheistic on the surface may actually be deemed to be worshipping the One God, but are doing so from a multitude of incomplete perspectives, such as in Hinduism.

Could you please specify what you mean by this? And does it relate to every relgiion or only those which are not Abrahamic?

Levite

Higher and Higher
Could you please specify what you mean by this? And does it relate to every relgiion or only those which are not Abrahamic?

What I have heard is that, rather than calling Hindus and other apparent polytheists "worshippers of many gods" or "worshippers of idols," which would, by Jewish tradition, mean that there was something deeply wrong with their beliefs, and there were strict limitations on how we could interact with them; instead, many modern Jews choose to interpret that such apparent polytheists are actually not worshipping many gods, they are worshipping the One God, but instead of calling Him One, and saying that at different times He presents different aspects or moods to humanity, they err slightly and call those aspects different gods.

Technically, if you ask a well-educated Hindu-- or so I am told-- they will affirm that for them, all the gods are manifestations of Brahman. So this, for them, appears to be true. Modern Jews who hold the above opinion usually grant the same presumption to folk Buddhists, folk Jains, Zen Shintoists, and many Native American religions, as well as a few other animistic and indigenous religions. The Abrahamic religions have always been classed as monotheism, although we have sometimes had some philosophical issues with Christians concerning trinitarianism; but these modern attempts at inclusivity are directed at those major world religions that have traditionally been called "paganism" or "idolatry," which imply a rejection of the One God, thus posing problems for traditional Judaism.

"Incomplete perspectives" is maybe a clumsy shorthand for worshipping God the long way around, by treating His different aspects and moods each as a divinity to be worshipped, rather than what we perceive as the more direct route of treating Him as One. This is the kind of locution that modern Jews sometimes use in attempting to both adhere to our tradition and, at the same time, make an essentially insular and tribal religion more pluralistic and tolerant.

Last edited:

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
What has this story to do with any of Abrahamic traditions:confused:It is dharmic story started by Jains,then adapted by the west (and the Sufis).

Isnt Abrahamic God omnipresent?If he is so,then he is present everywhere.That negates the possibility of any other god(which will then become the part of the first god).

If the three gods are different,then none of them is omnipresent.

I know it's origins, don't you see the point? It's one elephant. One. It is one but the perceptions of the blind men see it differently, based on which part they encounter. Each Abrahamic faith (or any faith, really) perceives their god as they are able to, based on their own perceptions. G-d works with this, of course, as none are really capable of perceiving the entire 'elephant' anyways. We are all blind to the reality of G-d, as an amoeba in a drop of water is blind to the man putting it on the microscope slide.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
I know it's origins, don't you see the point? It's one elephant. One. It is one but the perceptions of the blind men see it differently, based on which part they encounter. Each Abrahamic faith (or any faith, really) perceives their god as they are able to, based on their own perceptions. G-d works with this, of course, as none are really capable of perceiving the entire 'elephant' anyways. We are all blind to the reality of G-d, as an amoeba in a drop of water is blind to the man putting it on the microscope slide.
Correct.^_^:).

Last edited by a moderator:

ruhnafsoul

ruhnafsoul
hmm.. I believe its the SAME GOD.. the same GOD of ADAM.. the same GOD of Abraham.. the same GOD of Moses.. the same GOD of Jesus.. the same GOD of Muhammad.. what makes it different is US.. we hardly accept of the other's believe.. we do not want to respect the other's believes.. forgive me if I'm wrong.. I'm just throwing my opinion

Read Your Bible

hmm.. I believe its the SAME GOD.. the same GOD of ADAM.. the same GOD of Abraham.. the same GOD of Moses.. the same GOD of Jesus.. the same GOD of Muhammad.. what makes it different is US.. we hardly accept of the other's believe.. we do not want to respect the other's believes.. forgive me if I'm wrong.. I'm just throwing my opinion[/quote

How many creators do you think there are. Answer: One. So in there is only one true God. The quest is to identify him and believing this is the "true" God.
To find him he did something very beneficial for us, he gave us his "inspired word", the bible. This true God has a son. The prophecies in the "old testiment" speak of him. He is clearly identified as Jesus, the son of God. If we want a true understanding of God, we have to go to The Bible. See 2 Tim 3:16. At this point we either believe that the Bible is Gods word or not. If we do, then we must study the bible ourselves and not depend on what a preacher may say or rumor, or differences of opinions, it is quite simply, our obligation. So study the bible if you sincerely want to find God. How do you do that? When someone comes to your door offering to help you learn the bible, take them up on the offer.