• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Samhain

Trey of Diamonds

Ok, so last year Halloween was on a Sunday and some of my family were complaining about it being on the sabbath but at least in their community trick or treating was being held on Saturday out of respect for the church.

So the question is, should Christians be so insecure that they would fear celebrating a children's holiday on Sunday? Personally I thought the entire conversation was insane but I also know some Christians who don't allow their children to participate in Halloween due to its roots in paganism even though they are fine with celebrating Christmas. More insanity.

Thoughts?

Meh. Some Muslims are also following suite with their children, since Hallowe'en being a polytheistic ghosts-and-spirits holy day.

In any case church services are usually on a Sunday and Hallowe'en is always an evening celebration. Futhermore, it's on Monday this year. :D

Sometimes my local Hare Krishna temple will have the children dress up on Sunday for Hallowe'en time, and they also get a little prasadam candy bag as a treat. :) Also it seems that at Christmas time, Santa becomes a devotee of Krishna and gives little toys to the young children. :D

Trey of Diamonds

Sometimes my local Hare Krishna temple will have the children dress up on Sunday for Hallowe'en time, and they also get a little prasadam candy bag as a treat. :) Also it seems that at Christmas time, Santa becomes a devotee of Krishna and gives little toys to the young children. :D

Now that is too cool! :bow:

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Thanksgiving is a secular holiday based in religious traditions. I still celebrate it because it's a good excuse to get fat and watch some ball. I would have to rank Halloween as my favorite holiday and it is rooted in both pagan and Christian lore.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Ok, so last year Halloween was on a Sunday and some of my family were complaining about it being on the sabbath but at least in their community trick or treating was being held on Saturday out of respect for the church.

So the question is, should Christians be so insecure that they would fear celebrating a children's holiday on Sunday? Personally I thought the entire conversation was insane but I also know some Christians who don't allow their children to participate in Halloween due to its roots in paganism even though they are fine with celebrating Christmas. More insanity.

Thoughts?
You think that's bad? In my community, the big Baptist church sponsors "Judgment House," where little kids come and are paraded past vignettes of teen sinfulness and shown how God judges sin.

Somehow, I'm infinitely more afraid of James Dobson than I am ghosts and witches...

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
You think that's bad? In my community, the big Baptist church sponsors "Judgment House," where little kids come and are paraded past vignettes of teen sinfulness and shown how God judges sin.

Somehow, I'm infinitely more afraid of James Dobson than I am ghosts and witches...
I can sort of understand why some Christians don't want to participate in Halloween (which btw is not quite the same thing as Samhain) but that is just silly. James Dobson and his ilk are indeed scary!

Trey of Diamonds

Halloween (which btw is not quite the same thing as Samhain)

True, but the folks who tend to fear Halloween are scared of the connection to Samhain rather than the Christian All Hallow's Eve. I'm sure there are many connections to various Pagan harvest time festivals through history.

Duck

Thoughts?

Did they actually justify the not trick or treating on Sunday with the whole Sabbath thing? How do they justify watching American Football?

Personally, as a kid I would rather trick or treat on Saturday because I needed to catch up on my homework (I was/am a bit of a geek) and because of favorite TV shows on Sunday nights vice the Sabbath (and this was when I was pretty hard core with the whole Southern Baptist thing, before I saw the light and realized that the Norse gods spoke to me more clearly than the christian god).