• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sanders Pulls Nearly Even With Clinton in New Poll

Midnight Rain

I think the problem with financial issues is that often they engage in questionable practices rather than downright illegal practices, and even if they do engage in illegal practices actually proving it and getting a conviction are exceedingly difficult. If laws aren't being enforced already, it's less the law enforcement agencies are in Big Money's back-pocket than it's just exceedingly expensive and time-consuming to take these people to court when it's very difficult to prove and often will just go over the jurors' heads anyway.
Which is why executive actions are necessary in these cases.

Sultan Of Swing

Which is why executive actions are necessary in these cases.
What would an executive action achieve? It can't bypass the courts, which is the whole issue. Convictions are very difficult, remember this individual is presumed innocent and must be proved guilty, and lawyers will engage in all sorts of financial mumbo jumbo that a jury will find hard to keep up. I suppose it could bluntly demonstrate to the American people that things aren't that easy, as dragging all these people to court ends in embarrassment and millions of wasted taxpayer dollars.

Midnight Rain

What would an executive action achieve? It can't bypass the courts, which is the whole issue. Convictions are very difficult, remember this individual is presumed innocent and must be proved guilty, and lawyers will engage in all sorts of financial mumbo jumbo that a jury will find hard to keep up. I suppose it could bluntly demonstrate to the American people that things aren't that easy, as dragging all these people to court ends in embarrassment and millions of wasted taxpayer dollars.
It does mean that any single mistake made can get someone jailed. It makes them on the toes and makes them work for it if nothing else. The best case scenario is to take control of congress and pass laws that regulate them better and then enforce them in a way where they can't weasel out. That is the best option. However its not yet possible. This is a start. Having a president that isn't in the pocket of these same people is a step in the right direction.

Sultan Of Swing

It does mean that any single mistake made can get someone jailed. It makes them on the toes and makes them work for it if nothing else. The best case scenario is to take control of congress and pass laws that regulate them better and then enforce them in a way where they can't weasel out. That is the best option. However its not yet possible. This is a start. Having a president that isn't in the pocket of these same people is a step in the right direction.
I agree with you. Even if Bernie can't get much done, that doesn't mean Hillary or anyone else is therefore somehow better.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nonsense, that's not how our system works, and you should know that. The president and the fed only have limited powers, and even those powers are often mitigated by what's happening on the ground.
Interesting....this defense isn't made when crediting him for successes.
Such a double standard would be "nonsense".

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Interesting....this defense isn't made when crediting him for successes.
Such a double standard would be "nonsense".
I was at least somewhat specific in terms of what he and what some others did, so there is no real "double-standard" except in your mind. I have never gave him all the credit, nor did I ever say that what he was involved with was somehow by itself the silver bullet that saved us. I gave Bush some credit a swell as Bernanke and Paulson, all Republicans, but you just choose to ignore that.

Maybe it's best to read and try and remember what I wrote rather than fabricating strawmen. It's very frustrating when I have to spell out to what what should have been quite clear because it's right there in black-and-white for you to read.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was at least somewhat specific in terms of what he and what some others did, so there is no real "double-standard" except in your mind. I have never gave him all the credit, nor did I ever say that what he was involved with was somehow by itself the silver bullet that saved us. I gave Bush some credit a swell as Bernanke and Paulson, all Republicans, but you just choose to ignore that.

Maybe it's best to read and try and remember what I wrote rather than fabricating strawmen. It's very frustrating when I have to spell out to what what should have been quite clear because it's right there in black-and-white for you to read.
Bless your heart!

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Oh, I think I can explain why Sanders is winning among the youth who are Democrats.

Here is why.

You have young people who, if they are going to get any sort of decent job, need to attend a university and get a degree in xyz. Labor such as plumbing, construction, and so on, is no longer honored, but it should be, the skill sets of a carpenter, an artist, and so on, are no longer valued or honored as far as pay and livelihood.

We have young people going into extensive debt are far as college loans. The tuitions are expensive relative to the immediate return in value, certainly overpriced to say the least.

So you have young people, putting off marriage, putting off buying a home, getting a decent car, putting off savings in investments or 401k’s or the market, putting off even healthcare and “down time” simply to work rather lame jobs to pay off the student loans.

So, where do the values of home ownership, raising a family, driving a safe car, saving for the future, come into play here? They are simply trying to pay off student loans that are abusive. All else goes into the toilet and there is also the mental stress of such loans.

All parties need to rethink this. This isn’t good for America. As a Nationalist, I do not think this is good.

I do not support Sanders’ plan, which appears to be simply taking money from someplace else (it won’t be enough) to then pay off those who run the schools and universities, and these professors who demand such high salary and so on, the value in return for the expense is way over priced as well as far as I can see.

My idea, would to completely scrap the current public and private university systems, via competition and the accreditation of thousands and thousands of internet base schooling that includes teachers over the internet from many nations, keep it cheap, yes it would be open to cheating, I think what really matters is a proven intelligence which can be measured and not so much that it is easier to cheat. I want the stress on students to be less, not more, there is no need for these very expensive universities and their tuitions. They say the quality of education will go down. I think more will get a good education than currently. You really do not start to learn until you put your skill to application, and only application within a job can do that, not a university. I say we allow an explosion of internet based schooling.

Both Parties, Republican and Democrat, need to get real on this issue. It isn't fair to our children.

LittlePinky82

I agree with you. Even if Bernie can't get much done, that doesn't mean Hillary or anyone else is therefore somehow better.

Yes, I'm glad people are pointing it out. I see Hillary supporters keep saying that about Bernie but than they're ignoring they'd have the same problem. Bernie has worked with people in the House and Senate before across the isle so I'm sure he could do a better job at it. The right wing have been hating her for years and if anyone is caught working with her they would be in their coffin for their careers. At least with Bernie they can try to spin some Trumpish type of message and pick and choose when to work with him.