• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santorum Wants To Silence Pope Francis

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Sooo.....maybe the Pope can tell us how many degrees the earth has warmed up in the last few years. Seems no one else can. You would think the Pope knows a guy...
Well, last year was the hottest since records have been kept, if my memory is correct.

So, do you think all these climate scientists are ignorant about climate science, and Santorum must be right?

metis

He's quite wrong, as the Catholic Church has a horrible record on morality. It often makes the record on science look good.
I wouldn't go that far, but they certainly have made a significant number of mistakes over the centuries.

Popcorn

What is it?
If scientists want Science to be a religion where they may issue infallible edicts to which all adherents must follow or be ostracized, then it ceases to be Science at all.

Selinagirl

If scientists want Science to be a religion where they may issue infallible edicts to which all adherents must follow or be ostracized, then it ceases to be Science at all.
So you mean the Church of Science could excommunicate people, so they no longer benefit from science :)? It would be great to see Santorum hunting with only a spear mede of wood and useing a tent. Oh, no, wait a second, spears and tents are also a product of science. :D
Why didnt say anybody but me somethigpng about the industry lobbying the religious way to prevent higher environmental standards? Do you all work in the industry and fear for your jobs if your human ressources directors read this thread?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

If that ever happens it will set off a huge tsunami of screaming from scientists. As opposed to a schism between religionists who have no objective reason for their beliefs and so have no rational way to resolve differences.
Tom

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The scientific process isn't a conspiracy or a political agenda. The politicians muck about with trying to scare people or to misdirect, but the science isn't the source of those problems -- usually.

metis

Where do you supposedly see this? I've been in science for over 50 years (now retired for 12 years) and I haven't seen that.

Popcorn

What is it?
Where do you supposedly see this? I've been in science for over 50 years (now retired for 12 years) and I haven't seen that.

I think it's more of a recent phenomena where Christians are just not allowed to be skeptical of certain theories, else I just miss the good ole days of medieval times when you could cure anything with leeches and burn witches and so forth. o_O But, seriously though, I've lived in Ohio for thirty some odd years, it's the exact same climate it's always been, yet the geography or the topography of the land shows that at one time eons ago there was a great ice age, so I'm not really all to concerned about climate change. Seems to be natural to the planet, and happens at a pace where humans can adapt, and when there is all this hysteria about it I think people are just idiots in a panic about how the sky is falling.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think it's more of a recent phenomena where Christians are just not allowed to be skeptical of certain theories, else I just miss the good ole days of medieval times when you could cure anything with leeches and burn witches and so forth. o_O But, seriously though, I've lived in Ohio for thirty some odd years, it's the exact same climate it's always been, yet the geography or the topography of the land shows that at one time eons ago there was a great ice age, so I'm not really all to concerned about climate change. Seems to be natural to the planet, and happens at a pace where humans can adapt, and when there is all this hysteria about it I think people are just idiots in a panic about how the sky is falling.
It does happen naturally, but we have speed it up. It's basic elementary Earth science that carbon dioxide becomes trapped in the earth, and what happens is it reflects solar waves back to the surface of the earth, rather than back into space.

metis

The evidence is overwhelming that we are indeed in a heating mode and that human activity is mostly the cause. This is not some sort of fantasy put forth by some wild-hared scientists fabricating stories to scare people, such as what your last sentence above seems to imply. As I mentioned, the projected effects have enormous implications, especially with more severe weather conditions, but especially with the effect that this could have on the world's food and fresh water supplies.

Also, what some don't understand, is that global warming does not affect all areas in the exact same way. Certain areas of the world, for example, can actually experience overall colder weather as the average high and low-fronts tend to be larger because of increased energy. NOAA and NASA, as well as other scientific groups, have already reported this phenomenon happening.

Maybe it's best for people to check this out carefully because we're talking about conditions that can affect literally billions of people here, and even the Wiki article on this is a reasonable place to start: Global warming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

metis

It does happen naturally, but we have speed it up. It's basic elementary Earth science that carbon dioxide becomes trapped in the earth, and what happens is it reflects solar waves back to the surface of the earth, rather than back into space.
And don't forget about the dramatic increase in methane gas buildup that actually has 20 times more that same effect per unit than does C02.