• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santos

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Santos has admitted to lying ("embellishing his resume"). He clearly lied about graduating from two universities when in fact he is not a college grad at all. He misrepresented his job history. He claimed to be a Jew when he is not.

What can legally be done when a politician so openly deceives those who vote for him?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Not much once he is seated. He faces some serious investigations, one being how he went from making $55K two years ago to making $700K last year. He claims he made the money as a consultant, but won't disclose who his clients are. That's fishy. Given his pattern of lying he likely has a lot to hide. He may have violated financial disclosures which are felonies, and those will be easy to check.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Santos has admitted to lying ("embellishing his resume"). He clearly lied about graduating from two universities when in fact he is not a college grad at all. He misrepresented his job history. He claimed to be a Jew when he is not.

What can legally be done when a politician so openly deceives those who vote for him?
From what I read, it’s not a crime to lie to voters during a campaign, but it is a crime to file false forms to the federal government.
Here's more info: With campaign lies exposed, Santos could face legal consequences (yahoo.com)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Not much once he is seated. He faces some serious investigations, one being how he went from making $55K two years ago to making $700K last year. He claims he made the money as a consultant, but won't disclose who his clients are. That's fishy. Given his pattern of lying he likely has a lot to hide. He may have violated financial disclosures which are felonies, and those will be easy to check.

I agree that there's not much they can do at this point, except censure him.

I know that some states allow for recall elections for certain state-level offices. If they get enough petitions, they can hold a recall election. But I don't think they can do it for federal offices, like senator or representative. It would be interesting if that were possible, as then the voters could recall someone like this.

I also have to wonder: Why is this coming out after the election? Didn't someone think to check while this guy was still a candidate?

YoursTrue

I know that some states allow for recall elections for certain state-level offices. If they get enough petitions, they can hold a recall election. But I don't think they can do it for federal offices, like senator or representative. It would be interesting if that were possible, as then the voters could recall someone like this.

I also have to wonder: Why is this coming out after the election? Didn't someone think to check while this guy was still a candidate?
I no longer engage in politics because I put my trust in God as the true Administrator and Lawgiver of the Universe. HOWEVER -- when I was voting, I really never knew much about the candidates and would just vote party lines, really not knowing anything much about the candidates, or their stand.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It seems to me that politicians should always say the truth...because honesty is a plus in politics, no matter how bothersome a truth is.

PS: May I say something?
If a POTUS lies about being a Christian for 8 years, also lying about his cultural background, is that inadmissible, as well?

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Maybe he didn't have enough enemies to drag this up and out in the open? It's truly amazing as far as i am concerned. Almost pathetic in a sad/comical way. More towards the sad ridiculous.

YoursTrue

May I say something?
If a POTUS lies about being a Christian for 8 years, also lying about his cultural background, is that inadmissible, as well?
Because he may have married a Christian woman,,....but he is not a Christian.
noooo kidding...lol you'd have a hard time getting many to believe that though.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
May I say something?
Because he may have married a Christian woman,,....but he is not a Christian.

It doesn't matter much if a person lied about their religious beliefs for an open denomination - it can give a really bad perception, but the qualifications for identifying as a Christian, are just saying "I'm a Christian." and that's it.

Second, Trump was in office for 4 years - not 8. :p

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It doesn't matter much if a person lied about their religious beliefs for an open denomination - it can give a really bad perception, but the qualifications for identifying as a Christian, are just saying "I'm a Christian." and that's it.

Second, Trump was in office for 4 years - not 8. :p
I wasn't speaking of Trump. Trump is a Christian, from his birth to the present day.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I no longer engage in politics because I put my trust in God as the true Administrator and Lawgiver of the Universe. HOWEVER -- when I was voting, I really never knew much about the candidates and would just vote party lines, really not knowing anything much about the candidates, or their stand.

That's why, very often, the primary election can also be quite important.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Maybe he didn't have enough enemies to drag this up and out in the open? It's truly amazing as far as i am concerned. Almost pathetic in a sad/comical way. More towards the sad ridiculous.
The question is if it would have made a difference. Herschel Walker was exposed before the election and lost just barely. When voters don't care about their representatives and just see an additional rep/dem vote in the House or Senate (i.e. vote party lines), a dog could be elected as long as it can bark "yay" or "nay" at the correct time.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It seems to me that politicians should always say the truth...because honesty is a plus in politics, no matter how bothersome a truth is.

Trumps lies are coming home to roost.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The only God Trump worships is Trump.

Still, I'm thinking it sounded like she was talking about Obama, but that would sound like Alex Jones conspiracies if so (in my opinion), since I was there, here in the US, and remember vividly all that went on when Obama was President, including the naysayers and what Alex Jones and radio stations were saying about him when we had a mostly stable 8 years, and how Alex and others tried to stir things up through false narratives. So I pointed out how Trump fit her description better than Obama.

Honestly, if Obama was still President, I think things would be a lot better. Not perfect, but better. But that's not how terms work.

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I wonder whether he can be impeached.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal

I think W. Bush lying about being Christian and a redneck is totally inadmissible. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do to get in the big oval office.