• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SAS soldier quits Army in disgust at 'illegal' American tactics in Iraq

Nehustan

An SAS soldier has refused to fight in Iraq and has left the Army over the "illegal" tactics of United States troops and the policies of coalition forces.
After three months in Baghdad, Ben Griffin told his commander that he was no longer prepared to fight alongside American forces.

Full Text

drekmed

good for him.
i have often wondered why the US doesn't give its military personnel the ability to quit if they morally object to the policies being implimented. if they did, i would have been gone 3 years ago. as it stands i have 30 days until i begin terminal leave so its a moot point for me now, but i know many people that would love to have the option.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
The article doesn't go into the details of his discharge except for that glowing testimonial. I have to say I'm surprised he didn't get branded a coward and faced a court martial like he suspected would happen. I'm really happy things worked out differently, but, what's going on here?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Scarlett Wampus said:
The article doesn't go into the details of his discharge except for that glowing testimonial. I have to say I'm surprised he didn't get branded a coward and faced a court martial like he suspected would happen. I'm really happy things worked out differently, but, what's going on here?

An acceptance, maybe that a Soldier has a right to question the morality of orders ?

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
michel said:
An acceptance, maybe that a Soldier has a right to question the morality of orders ?
I hope so Michel. It must've taken some guts to do what he did, because I doubt the right to question the morality and legality of orders is something he felt he could count on.

Judgement Day

Good for him :clap. I once quit the Police Academy because I felt that the police were doing things moraly wrong. I wonder what my friends thought of me. Obviously most of them would think that Im a coward :ignore:.

I was quite suprised to see this. I woild have thought he would have seriously struggled to leave on such grounds - despite the relative morale rights and wrongs of it.