• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanism

Unedited

Merlin said:
Then why call yourselves Satanists.
I like the way Paul Douglas Valentine says it:

"It’s a very potent, shocking term—LaVey was right about that. But, as I got older I realised Satan was the perfect term because He embodies ideas of freedom and individuality you don’t find in other concepts of religion or God. Satan represents liberty in its utmost form. There’s no guilt involved in being who you are, standing up for what you believe in, even if it is contradictory to social mores."

But besides that, even when the word very first appeared in print, it did not refer to people who worshipped Satan, but rather to unorthodox practices. And when Satanism first popped up, it was the name of a tradition that was self-, rather than god-oriented. LaVey didn't just pull the name together himself, he did his reading.

Halcyon said:
True satanism? I think you mean LaVeyan Satanism.
And being that LaVey wasn't around in the 17th century when these traditions were forming, it bugs me that some refer to it as such, while those who actually worship Satan, take over the name, a name they didn't start using until after LaVey, though I'm not denying the probability that there were people who worshipped Satan before him.

JerryL

I asked you what reforms should the Christian faith make. You replied you had several that the Catholic Church should make.
No, you asked in what way "we" should reform "it". I gave answers on likely interpretations of "it".

The Catholic Church is not the Christian religion, any more than the Anglican Church, or the Mormon Church, or Jehovah's Witnesses etc. You have fallen into the normal trap of equating some person's idea of an organisation, with the faith of Christianity.
You have falsely assumed what I assumed. Had I actually done what you claim, I would not have been specific in my response. I was specific in my response as it was unlcear what "it" represented.

I did not assume that you were asking for reforms for "christianity", because that would be a stupid question. Considering there is no single "Christian Faith", it's impossible to list a set of universal reforms. I had (falsely) presumed that you would not ask a question which was so absurd, and so saught clarification.

Regardless, the question is off-topic; having nothring to do with Satanism.

It is possible to be a Christian without joining an individual organisation, but equally without disparaging any of them. It is possible to be a member of any Christian sect, and therefore all Christian sects (in my case I would add Jewish and Muslim as well). My object in religion is to worship God, not the means or the organisation.
I have no idea what makes you think I care what your objective in religion is; or why you would believe it's on-topic. I have no idea why you are on some off-topc rant. I wish that there were a negative-feedback option, because I would gladly give you some now.

I realize that you are rather obsessed with yourself; but please try to disuss the topic at hand.