• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scholar Karen King finds ancient reference to 'Jesus wife'

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Video and article
BBC News - Scholar Karen King finds ancient reference to 'Jesus wife'

Snip....
Scholar Karen King finds ancient reference to 'Jesus wife'

19 September 2012 Last updated at 13:00 Help
An ancient scrap of papyrus makes explicit reference to Jesus having a wife, according to a renowned expert in Christian history.
Harvard divinity professor Karen King unveiled the 4th-Century Coptic script at a conference in Rome.
She said researchers had identified the words "Jesus said to them, 'my wife'", which might refer to Mary Magdalene.

Worth thinking about.....discuss.

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
While the gospels never speak of Jesus being single..there were plenty of perfect moments to point out if he was married...at the cross and buriel for instance. I think the original readers took for granted what the authors implied that Jesus was single.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
While the gospels never speak of Jesus being single..there were plenty of perfect moments to point out if he was married...at the cross and buriel for instance. I think the original readers took for granted what the authors implied that Jesus was single.

At the same time, there were perfect moments for it to have been pointed out that he was single. Paul definitely could have used such help in that regards while defending himself being single.

All in all though, this fragment really means nothing. It is interesting in regards to our knowledge about early Christianity. Other then that, it adds nothing as it just is too late to really be of any use in regards to who Jesus was.

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
I believe that Paul pushed being single, since he truly believed the second coming was literally....days away....and why get married...but marry if you must he finally gives in and says.

Monster!

That piece of papryus doesn't finish it's sentence though, it doesn't name a woman, for all we know it could say my wife the church x

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Video and article
BBC News - Scholar Karen King finds ancient reference to 'Jesus wife'

Snip....

Worth thinking about.....discuss.

a 4th century scrap of paper mentions jesus wife and the whole world goes into a spin over it.

Dont you think its funny how the critics label the writings of the bible cannon dubious and doubtful, but this scrap of writing, with a few words on it, is enough to change the course of history...finally they have the real story!!!

Hilarious :D

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
That piece of papryus doesn't finish it's sentence though, it doesn't name a woman, for all we know it could say my wife the church x

There was no church before Jesus death.

It would be nice to find a complete 4th century Bible.

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
a 4th century scrap of paper mentions jesus wife and the whole world goes into a spin over it.

Dont you think its funny how the critics label the writings of the bible cannon dubious and doubtful, but this scrap of writing, with a few words on it, is enough to change the course of history...finally they have the real story!!!

Hilarious :D

None of the critics are saying that this shows anything. Karen King made it very clear that it changes nothing. She made it very clear that it is not evidence that Jesus was married, and no scholar would even suggest such.

No one is claiming that this adds to the real story.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I believe that Paul pushed being single, since he truly believed the second coming was literally....days away....and why get married...but marry if you must he finally gives in and says.

I agree. But I also think Paul could have mentioned, or used that Jesus was single in that regard if Paul was aware of either way.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
If he said that it was still in the future.

One needs to be as careful relying on single quotations like that found in the Bible. Just as we need to be about any other 3rd or 4th century piece of papyrus.

As it turned out Peter, though important, plays second fiddle to Paul in the Bible, and we know far less about him.

The Gospel of Mary might have been the key, but the majority of it is lost.