• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science and Religion Converge

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
That may well be so and I understand that this is something you value in your life. I'm not attacking your faith here, I am merely trying to understand the reasoning behind it as a source of information that you use to guide you. What you said is probably true, but it doesn't address the validity of religion as a source of information.
It has as much validity as any philosophy. I'm unsure how philosophy can demonstrate scientific validity.

I think we misunderstood each other. I meant that in due time we may be able to map out exactly how the whole idea of attraction works in the first place and find out why certain things appeal to us and not.
Perhaps it will... But I doubt that culture and upbringing will be uninvolved.

I would argue that there is a marked difference though. The Oxford Online Dictionary defines Deism in this manner: belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. Whereas Theism is defined in this manner: belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe.
I think you are picking nits.... I as a pantheist/animist do not believe in an interventionist deity.

Granted, but some of them are values that we have agreed are valid on a global scale based on certain universal morals inherent in just about every society on the planet, morals which, by the way, I would claim is a trait of the Evolution of societies.
The only "universal morals" are those evolved by all social species. Every other "value" is tainted by cultural bias.

wa:do

logician

" can not empirically decide how a rainbow makes me feel... I can understand how it forms"

Really, it is quite a complex process.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
" can not empirically decide how a rainbow makes me feel... I can understand how it forms"

Really, it is quite a complex process.
It is an amazingly complex process... but I suppose that is part of the beauty.
I have to admit, I'm still wondering about the formation of a single prismatic arc as opposed to multiple miniature ones (I'm biology not physics). But, in general I have the gist of it. :cool:

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
It has as much validity as any philosophy. I'm unsure how philosophy can demonstrate scientific validity.

Only if that philosophy makes claims that can either now or in the future be tested by science.

Perhaps it will... But I doubt that culture and upbringing will be uninvolved.

Oh, I am confident that they must be. I hold that who we are consists of two parts; our hereditary material, DNA + the total sum of our experiences (both cognitive and environmental).

I think you are picking nits.... I as a pantheist/animist do not believe in an interventionist deity.

Perhaps, but it just seemed from your description (and still does) as if you are a Deist and not a Theist. ;) Of course far be it from me to dictate what you call yourself. :D

The only "universal morals" are those evolved by all social species. Every other "value" is tainted by cultural bias.

I absolutely and totally agree. As I'm sure you are aware we recognize many of our universal morals in social animals such as apes, wolves and bats.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Only if that philosophy makes claims that can either now or in the future be tested by science.
Good thing mine doesn't then isn't it.

Oh, I am confident that they must be. I hold that who we are consists of two parts; our hereditary material, DNA + the total sum of our experiences (both cognitive and environmental).
Which is why it will prove nearly impossible to empirically measure something like "rainbow appreciation".

Perhaps, but it just seemed from your description (and still does) as if you are a Deist and not a Theist. ;) Of course far be it from me to dictate what you call yourself.
Pantheism is very close to Deism in many respects. But like I said... I also have a fair amount of animist belief.
Pantheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I absolutely and totally agree. As I'm sure you are aware we recognize many of our universal morals in social animals such as apes, wolves and bats.
Absolutely... indeed First Nations peoples looked to such animals for guidance in social matters. (well not apes naturally, but perhaps that is a good thing!)

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Good thing mine doesn't then isn't it.

Well, at least then we won't have to have the usual religious discussions. ^_^

Which is why it will prove nearly impossible to empirically measure something like "rainbow appreciation".

Granted. I just think it is useful to separate between what is practically impossible and theoretically impossible (and even then we might be too limiting). Imagine telling Aristotle that a couple of thousand years after his time we would be able to know the composition of stars that are further away than our galaxy. Imagine what will be practically possible to know a couple of thousand years from now. :D

Pantheism is very close to Deism in many respects. But like I said... I also have a fair amount of animist belief.
Pantheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fair enough. :)

Absolutely... indeed First Nations peoples looked to such animals for guidance in social matters. (well not apes naturally, but perhaps that is a good thing!)

Well, if they had looked to bonobo apes things might have looked a little different... ;)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Well, at least then we won't have to have the usual religious discussions.
Refreshing isn't it. :D

Granted. I just think it is useful to separate between what is practically impossible and theoretically impossible (and even then we might be too limiting). Imagine telling Aristotle that a couple of thousand years after his time we would be able to know the composition of stars that are further away than our galaxy. Imagine what will be practically possible to know a couple of thousand years from now.
The more complex the system the less predictable it becomes. We may know the composition of stars... but we still know very little about the inner workings of them.

Well, if they had looked to bonobo apes things might have looked a little different...
Quite possibly.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Refreshing isn't it. :D

Very! :D

The more complex the system the less predictable it becomes. We may know the composition of stars... but we still know very little about the inner workings of them.

This is, of course, true, but what I find interesting is how through our knowledge of Atomic Theory we have some idea of how they "must" work, at least according to our current level of understanding. How come more people aren't absolutely fascinated by this science stuff...?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
This is, of course, true, but what I find interesting is how through our knowledge of Atomic Theory we have some idea of how they "must" work, at least according to our current level of understanding. How come more people aren't absolutely fascinated by this science stuff...?
Because they are convinced at an early age that science is either to difficult or too nerdy to be interesting. (or possibly evil)
Which is tragic....

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
This is mainly directed at the people who align themselves with science. I don't profess to have a certain side, but I'll explain more at the end.

Why is it that atheists so vehemently reject all God and religion? As I see it, religion, science, and philosophy are all facets of the same gem trying to convey the same point and message. I'm aware that there are certain elements of religion that are incompatible (from an atheists viewpoint) with science and philosophy and logic, because there is simply no evidence for it. By this, I am mainly referring to the presence of "noun-gods." The monotheistic or polytheistic religions that claim a God that can intervene in our worldly realm. But why do these approaches have to be taken literally? I see them out-right rejected by atheists, rather than interpreted for their metaphorical meaning and message. I'm all for debate, but these concepts are too quickly scrapped. Religion should be a highly individual path -- often religious teachings are distorted through history by "authorities" who know no more than the average person.

Science and religion are pointing in the same direction. That is, the Oneness, the Ultimate Reality of everything. Science approaches it by explaining it, breaking it down mechanically, rationally, logically. Religion has a myriad of approaches to explaining reality. But in general it is trying to convey that reality "just is." The Ultimate Reality, the Universe just is. How is that wrong or different from explaining it scientifically? They two different ways of saying the same thing. The Universe speaks to people in different ways. There are 6 billion of us on this planet -- you cannot expect everyone to realize TRUTH by the same method. Let's take a micro example. We're sitting on chairs. Science may describe the solidity of the chair by explaining particle theory, etc. How is that different from saying it "just IS"? Macro-mize (I know, not a word) and it applies to the Universe as a whole. Religions can be distorted and skewed in their meaning. They are adapted through history based on social and political conditions. But the underlying message runs through ALL religions, and through SCIENCE. It simply takes on a different path. I have no issue with religions being refuted, disproved, etc., but in doing so, so many people ignore the UNDERLYING current and profess themselves atheists too quickly.

From my experience, atheists reject God, and then proclaim that particular religion invalid because of that. Religion has more purpose than just the existence of God(s). Science is not flawless either. Look at the inductive problem, for example. And if a scientific theory is thought to be proven, but in the end new discoveries bring us new knowledge that proves the theory obsolete, people do not instantly proclaim all of science to be wrong. Religion is looked at too narrowly. People reject religious views, but fail to explore it on their own -- which is ultimately where real meaning can be derived from.

It's not the refutation and arguments against dogma and other burdens on spirituality that I have a problem with. Those things SHOULD be refuted. They get in the way of actual meaning. I just want to clearly state that.

This post is slanted in view of religion against science, but it's for purpose of debate. The argument could easily be flipped around. (I just don't like the attitude of atheists in general.) Religion is just as guilty as rejecting science, and not realizing that science is trying to point at the same thing religion is trying to point at. World religions are stunted by dogmas and fallacies that I do believe should be eliminated through argument and debate. I hope this makes sense. It makes a lot more sense intuitively where it comes together in my head. It's very hard to find the right words to convey what I'm trying to say, and I am not convinced I did it adequately. It would take a book to do that, I imagine. As for me personally I don't take on a theistic view. I have a highly personalized view that combines pantheism (verb Gods), Oneness, Ultimate Reality, Science, and Philosophy. So I guess I'm not a theist in the "traditional sense". But I understand how all religions are trying to say the same thing.

The goal should be unbiased search for truth!

*Round of Applause*

You may like to look into the path of Scientific Illuminism: "The Method of Science, the Aim of Religion"

sniper762

octavia, please explain to us HOW you relate science AND religion to both be correct.

i have done it, but only by looking at r eligion in a different, nontraditional way.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
octavia, please explain to us HOW you relate science AND religion to both be correct.

i have done it, but only by looking at r eligion in a different, nontraditional way.

Its simple. What is the True or Ultimate Aim of Religion?

Whatever the answer to that sentence is for you... apply the Method of Science to achieve it.

For me, the Aim of Religion is to Commune with one's Creator to understand how one 'came to be' and 'why one is here'.

The Aim of Religion is finding Absolute Truth.

Thus, the Scientific Illuminist applies the method of Science - hypothesis, test, analyse, conclude and repeat until you find this Truth.

The Method of Science, the Aim of Religion.

Last edited:

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
The Aim of Science is not to find Truth, rather it is to acquire Knowledge - and nowadays it tends only towards useful knowledge.

sniper762

you say: For me, the Aim of Religion is to Commune with one's Creator to understand how one 'came to be' and 'why one is here'.

explain how the first two chapters of genesis, like many chapters in the bible have anything to do with your definition of the aim of religion.

all i see is "how", noy why and nowhere leading to "finding the absolute truth"

and before you say that the bible and religion are different, remember that the religion of christianity IS THE BIBLE

McBell

Admiral Obvious
you say: For me, the Aim of Religion is to Commune with one's Creator to understand how one 'came to be' and 'why one is here'.

explain how the first two chapters of genesis, like many chapters in the bible have anything to do with your definition of the aim of religion.

all i see is "how", noy why and nowhere leading to "finding the absolute truth"

and before you say that the bible and religion are different, remember that the religion of christianity IS THE BIBLE
Your idolatry of the Bible speaks volumes.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
This is mainly directed at the people who align themselves with science. I don't profess to have a certain side, but I'll explain more at the end.

Right. Let's pick this one apart then...

Why is it that atheists so vehemently reject all God and religion?

Utter and complete lack of evidence. At least for my part.

As I see it, religion, science, and philosophy are all facets of the same gem trying to convey the same point and message.

Then I propose that you read more books on religion, science and philosophy. You are, in a word, wrong.

I'm aware that there are certain elements of religion that are incompatible (from an atheists viewpoint) with science and philosophy and logic, because there is simply no evidence for it.

Science relies utterly and completely upon evidence. No evidence, no case. That means that any outlook on matters that does not include evidence as its basis cannot in any way be compatible with science.

By this, I am mainly referring to the presence of "noun-gods." The monotheistic or polytheistic religions that claim a God that can intervene in our worldly realm.

Theists who do not believe in a god that intervenes in "our worldly realm" are, by definition, not theists. They are deists. Or for preference animists or what have you. But they are not theists.

But why do these approaches have to be taken literally?

Well, a significant part of the religious people do and they have been cramming that stuff down our throats for centuries now, so...

I see them out-right rejected by atheists, rather than interpreted for their metaphorical meaning and message.

What meaning? What message?

I'm all for debate, but these concepts are too quickly scrapped. Religion should be a highly individual path -- often religious teachings are distorted through history by "authorities" who know no more than the average person.

Science and religion are pointing in the same direction.

Nope. One is magic. The other is...not magic.

That is, the Oneness, the Ultimate Reality of everything.

Let's see where Superstring Theory takes us on this one.

Science approaches it by explaining it, breaking it down mechanically, rationally, logically.

And it has been DAMN successful at doing the job so far... I mean, air planes, cars, mobile phones, computers, lasers, food, housing, energy, medicine, knowledge...

Religion has a myriad of approaches to explaining reality. But in general it is trying to convey that reality "just is." The Ultimate Reality, the Universe just is.

Wow... that is so...deep...
Seriously? What bollocks!

We know reality "is". And our scientists are working their buttocks off to figure out exactly how it "is" while some old men with robes and funny headgear are trying to guilt-trip us into submitting to them in "this" reality because they are peddling real estate in the "next" one?
Yeah, right.

How is that wrong or different from explaining it scientifically?

The short version? Because it contributes nothing, explains nothing and because it gets in the way of science.

They two different ways of saying the same thing.

Errr... no. One says the universe is magic, the other does not. WAY different message.

The Universe speaks to people in different ways. There are 6 billion of us on this planet -- you cannot expect everyone to realize TRUTH by the same method.

"Truth" is a tentative term, but if you want to know WHAT IS, then science has all other methods beat by a landslide. It's not even close.

Let's take a micro example. We're sitting on chairs. Science may describe the solidity of the chair by explaining particle theory, etc. How is that different from saying it "just IS"? Macro-mize (I know, not a word) and it applies to the Universe as a whole. Religions can be distorted and skewed in their meaning. They are adapted through history based on social and political conditions. But the underlying message runs through ALL religions, and through SCIENCE. It simply takes on a different path. I have no issue with religions being refuted, disproved, etc., but in doing so, so many people ignore the UNDERLYING current and profess themselves atheists too quickly.

The word "atheist" means "someone who does not believe in a god or gods". And that is ALL that it means. And until someone comes up with some really compelling evidence that is the position I'll stick to.

From my experience, atheists reject God, and then proclaim that particular religion invalid because of that.

You must have met some rather silly atheists then. I don't reject god because I don't believe in any such notion. I proclaim religions invalid because they do not have a shred of evidence for their central claims which, despite what you would like to claim, is not that the universe "just is". If that was all they claimed then we wouldn't be in this mess and they would not have any followers. I mean, what on Earth would the sermons be about?

Religion has more purpose than just the existence of God(s).

A few might but they still postulate a supernatural something for which they do not have any evidence whatsoever.

Science is not flawless either. Look at the inductive problem, for example. And if a scientific theory is thought to be proven, but in the end new discoveries bring us new knowledge that proves the theory obsolete, people do not instantly proclaim all of science to be wrong.

Errr... Science does not claim to be flawless. In fact, it is generally viewed as one of science's greatest strengths that it will change its view in the light of new evidence.

Religion is looked at too narrowly. People reject religious views, but fail to explore it on their own -- which is ultimately where real meaning can be derived from.

Don't see any value in that.

This post is slanted in view of religion against science, but it's for purpose of debate. The argument could easily be flipped around. (I just don't like the attitude of atheists in general.) Religion is just as guilty as rejecting science, and not realizing that science is trying to point at the same thing religion is trying to point at. World religions are stunted by dogmas and fallacies that I do believe should be eliminated through argument and debate. I hope this makes sense. It makes a lot more sense intuitively where it comes together in my head. It's very hard to find the right words to convey what I'm trying to say, and I am not convinced I did it adequately. It would take a book to do that, I imagine. As for me personally I don't take on a theistic view. I have a highly personalized view that combines pantheism (verb Gods), Oneness, Ultimate Reality, Science, and Philosophy. So I guess I'm not a theist in the "traditional sense". But I understand how all religions are trying to say the same thing.

I think you are way out on a tangent on this one and I think you are romanticising something that has no need for it. Science and religion have diversely opposite methods and core views on reality. That is unlikely to change. Also, it should be noted that science is not a philosophy or a belief or anything of the sort. Science is a method of inquiry and it is the most successful idea we humans have come up with.

The goal should be unbiased search for truth!

Only if that "truth" is firmly grounded in evidence.