• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science and Spirituality

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
With these kinds of threads, it sounds like it all boils down to: "If only we could get along better", or "If only people would stop having undesirable emotions".
I feel its mostly the second...

"This should make you happy, and this should make you sad, and if it doesn't, you're broken and need fixed."
Different religions/beliefs equals different doctrines and dogmas. (Dogmatism). So beliefs in God/s can be divisive more then no belief.
Not all religions are full of dogma, you know?

I think the divisiveness is more on the individual. I've met people in all walks of life that are divisive individuals(or not). I have to say its more based on personal tribalism and tendency to go towards that than any beliefs.
Nature and science are what they are.
Well, nature... what is it? There's a life to it I don't think can simply be measured by the scientific method, a spirit... but I could be romanticizing it, and I acknowledge that.

Science is a method used to learn about our environments or other phenomenon.

Religion deals mostly with humans dealing with the experience of being human, in my opinion. Is it necessary? For some.

wellwisher

Yes of course, whatever works for an individual is good.

However, IMO, if more people embraced the idea of the natural and science, and let go of the 'narrow' views of religion, we would not have the divisions that beliefs in god can bring.
In modern times, politics divide more people than religion. The major divide in the US is not religion but politics. If you go to discussion forums we rarely see two religions fighting each other, as to which is better. It is usually the Atheist religion that starts the fights, by trying to discredit all religions.

More peace could occur is we get rid of political parties, so we have more individuals, and less top heavy disinformation to incite the mobs. We can have Atheism on a leash, so it does not create trouble. Atheism can sit on leash and learn, how modern religions show mutual respect, unless tainted by politics. There is nothing in my religion that says to hate another religion. If anything it says love the enemy (of your own mind) often planted by political or secular bias.

Islam was never a problem, until the political attachment of terrorism, created by Arab politics and amplified by opposing politics. This leads to one size fits all thinking, which is not in touch with reality; political party religions in a fantasy world. Those are the worse.

If you look at Harris and the DNC, Harris is being groomed for a fantasy reality, which makes it a religion. Reason does not work and is not needed since one only needs faith in the illusion created, without any rational backup; Faith is the belief in things not seen like her policy. This should not be allowed in Government; separation of church and state. The DNC will need to be based on reality, or be labeled a nasty religion and not allowed near government. It has to practice its faith outside the Government.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Replace the word "spirituality" with what to me is the more appropriate term for the same thing ("religion") and I dig ya. Science was one of the major factors that led me to my religion, and my religion was one of the major factors that led me to pursue scientific research and a post-graduate degree in science. Science is the study of the gods, after all, in all of their wonder. Not all of the gods, but certainly the ones that I spend the most time and attention devoted to. I leave the transcendent supernatural gods to others as they do not interest me.

Hawkins

Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognise our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. So are our emotions in the presence of great art or music or literature, or acts of exemplary selfless courage such as those of Mohandas Gandhi or Martin Luther King, Jr. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.
The late Carl Sagan, American astrophysicist

A person doesn't need god or the supernatural to understand the world or to help makes decisions. We have the inner spirituality of nature, experience and science to do that.

Science basically is lab based. Humans lack the ability to go to the spiritual realm to do labs. So humans science is futile about spirituality.

Bear Wild

Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognise our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. So are our emotions in the presence of great art or music or literature, or acts of exemplary selfless courage such as those of Mohandas Gandhi or Martin Luther King, Jr. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.
The late Carl Sagan, American astrophysicist

A person doesn't need god or the supernatural to understand the world or to help makes decisions. We have the inner spirituality of nature, experience and science to do that.
I agree they both complement each other and represent two equally important aspects of wisdom.

What about spirituality and science?

Just about anything can be a source of spirituality.

We are a narrative driven species and create meaning through stories we hear from others and tell ourselves.

We can get a sense of awe/the sublime/vastness/connection/timelessness or other sensations and emotions that could be termed spiritual from all kinds of things.

I can look up at the stars to do this, or look at an ancient structure preserved through time or look at a tower block at night and imagine the lives of all the people inside.

Science can be a source of this spirituality, although no more or less than a football match, movie, a park bench, a train ride through a country or thousands of other things.

Spirituality lies where people find it.

For some rationalists, I’d say finding spirituality in science is a kind of attempt to justify to themselves the idea that their spirituality is somehow “rational” so they can differentiate themselves from those “silly religious folk” rather than it simply being just another way to fulfil a very human need.

Madsaac

Science is a method used to learn about our environments or other phenomenon.

Yes and it can be awesome. For example, there is a supermoon tonight and because of science, we know its 27,000kms closer to Earth, which makes it look so cool. And having this type of information available to us, helps us reflect and appreciate things better. Maybe there should be more of it.

Religion deals mostly with humans dealing with the experience of being human, in my opinion. Is it necessary? For some.

Yes no doubt and also the amazing scientific research done on human beings & society goes a long way to enhancing the experience of being a human.

Madsaac

For some rationalists, I’d say finding spirituality in science is a kind of attempt to justify to themselves the idea that their spirituality is somehow “rational” so they can differentiate themselves from those “silly religious folk” rather than it simply being just another way to fulfil a very human need.

Yes maybe you're right, everyone is looking for meaning in their own way.

And I can't find it in the religious realm so I look for it elsewhere, and I must admit there are parts of religion that do annoy me, so I do try and differentiate myself from it.

When I have experiences that emerge from interactions with science and the natural world that include feelings of connection, meaning and wonder.

For example, knowing that the Earth was created through thousands of chance occurrences, makes me feel in awe of the place I live in.

Or the evolution of the human being is just amazing. What I feel or can do because of evolution?

Or the relationship I have with my family and friends has occurred because of millions of years of evolution

These types of things are spiritual.

And personally speaking, I don't think there is a need for an external creative force or a religion to feel spiritual.
Thanks, very interesting. I think the Biblical meaning is different.