• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science Fiction

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Orson Scott Card. You want philosophy and religion? Look that up. My favorite series by him was the ender series, and the bean series, which tie together. Another random sci fi book by orson scott card was treason, which i think is quite interesting.

BadBeast

Good Trilogies? Julian May's "Saga of the Exiles"
Brilliant, & well written. Basic Premise, a one way time gate, from 24th Century Earth, back to the Pliocene era. Becomes an escape route for Misfits, Recidivists, Sociopaths, Historical re-enactors, Broken Hearts, anyone who doesn't fit in on Earth. But when they get back to what should be a pre-hominid Paradise, they find there are two Races already there. The Tanu, and the Firvulag. Misfits themselves, they follow an ancient Battle Religion, banned on their own world, so they fled to Earth, to carry on Ritually Battling each other. Humanity has become basically a Slave source for the Tanu, who have a range of Psychocreative powers, amplified by metallic Torcs, fitted at birth.
The Firvulag are naturally operative Psychocreatives, whose powers mostly are casting illusions. The Tanu are like the Fair Folk, and are the root of the future myths of the Tuatha de Danaan, and the Firvulag are sort of Goblins, Trolls, Kobolds. A fantastic study of socio-dynamics and Political intrigue, all set in a kind of Medieval, pre-industrial but scientifically advanced World, and the Factions of people who are thrown together there.

The Neo Nerd

I have to agree with a lot of people on here.

The Dune series is one of the greatest Sci-Fi series.

It's not just Sci-Fi though, there's elements of fantasy fiction, politics, religion, philosophy.

Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy is also great if you are looking for something light and entertaining.

BadBeast

Yep, Total agreement. Dune is breathtakingly good. It's one of the very few books I've read 7 or 8 times, and I can still see myself reading it again. Stunning.

BadBeast

I just read that a few weeks ago. Absolutely mental, but well worth the read.
My favourite thing about Dick, is his singularly corny book titles. Would "Blade Runner" have been nearly as successful a Movie as it was, if it had been called "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"? :no:

Seabear

Hopefully this has been posted but if not Everyone should read The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. It is a very underlooked book but it is right up their with Asimov and Bradbury

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I've always been partial to one of the earliest examples of science fiction, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. It always makes me think about responsibility and reminds me of the importance of moderation as a virtue.

Gunny

Semper Fi
Science Fiction isn't my favorite genre to read but as far as the genre goes Ender's Game is considered one of, if not the greatest science fiction novel of all-time. Extrordinary read.

enders_game_book_cover_orson_scott_card-401x600.jpg

Yerda

Veteran Member
Started reading Dune. Read The Windup Girl (Paolo Bacigalupi) recently. It was fantastic. Just finished The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch (Philip Dick). Not sure what to make of that one.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
My favorite scifi book I've ever read would have to be The Giver by Lois Lowry (if that counts).

If not, then I choose Day the Earth Stood Still.

Felidae

I LOVE sci-fi. Reading Dune Messiah now. Plus Slaughterhouse Five, part of that could be considered sci-fi.

I love how sci-fi makes you think "what if".. and I am interested in the future of humanity. I think it will be more of a post-apocalyptic future (a genre I adore), but that's fine by me.

I love Dan Simmons, Anne McCaffrey, John Wyndham, and a lot, lot more.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I read Dune recently for this first time and totally loved it.
I enjoyed it. I found the world the author created to be as immersive as anything I've read. The writing style got a bit tiring towards the end, though, and though the plot was great it became a bit predictable towards the end.

BadBeast

Dune is good, but every bit as good, but far less feted, are Herbert's two short novels, "Whipping Star", and "The Dosadi Experiment".
They can be read as standalone works, even though Dosadi is a sequel to Whipping Star. They're written in the style of a Raymond Chandler Detective novel, but one spanning Galaxies, and with the fate of every living being, dependent on the protagonist, Jorj.X. McKie, solving the mystery in Whipping Star, then neutralising the threat that is building up on a secret Prison Planet. A Planet whose harshness, and effect on people, puts me in mind of Arrakis, or the Padisha Emperor's Salus Sekundi, where he keeps his Sardauker sharp. The elite on Dosadi are very much in the mould of Sardauker in many ways too. Tough, ruthless, and with preternaturally superior awareness. Excellent books, both of them, and far less of a long term commitment than Dune.