• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science is the new religion

TechTed

fantôme profane;1592339 said:
To imply that your idea here is in anyway more aligned with science than the standard religious ideologies is an insult to science. Science is about a method, it is not just about replacing “gods” with “extra-dimensional aliens”, or miracles of “god” with miracles of “technology”. Science is about skepticism, empiricism, evidence, the quest for knowledge and understanding. It is not about making stuff up because it sounds good to you.

To respond to a few of your comments, and I don't take them as disrespect, but I do need to clarify.

I agree that my theory is not scientific, nor was it intended to be. I am theorizing that science, as a method, will allow us to achieve the next evolutionary stage - the singularity.

But here is where I disagree, the ideas I presented are absolutely aligned with science.

The "science" behind nanotechnology for instance, is bringing us closer to the singularity.

The "science" behind quantum physics, computer engineering, software design, web browsing and search engines, genetics, brain-mapping---and I could go on and on and on---is all bringing us closer to making the singularity a real possibility.

If the singularity takes place, then all of our traditional sciences will be radically different.

The skeptisim, empiricism, evidence, quest for knowledge and understanding that you mention is absolutely essential to fulfill the theory I am describing.

TechTed

Religion hasn't been a necessary step towards anything. It's an unfortunate side-effect of the social evolution of our species, and a hindrance which we seem to be stuck with for the foreseeable future.

Who is to say that it wasn't a world leader's religious beliefs that prevented them from pushing the button that would have started a nuclear holocaust during the Cuban Missle crisis?

Who is to say that religious ideas didn't motivate early scientists to seek other answers and create the first scientific theories?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I agree that my theory is not scientific, nor was it intended to be. I am theorizing that science, as a method, will allow us to achieve the next evolutionary stage - the singularity.

But here is where I disagree, the ideas I presented are absolutely aligned with science.
Fine, but there are actually a lot of religious ideas that are aligned with science, at least in the sense that they don’t conflict with science. You suggest the existence of higher powers. I am not saying that this conflicts with science, but I see no scientific evidence that leads me to conclude that such things exists. I can say (and have said many times) the exact same thing about “God”. I don’t believe in your higher extra-dimensional entities, and I don’t believe in “God”. There is no evidence for “God” and there is no evidence for these higher powers you suggest. Your idea is no more (and no less) scientific than belief in “God”. To suggest that it is more scientific than more traditional religious ideologies demeans both religion and science.

The skeptisim, empiricism, evidence, quest for knowledge and understanding that you mention is absolutely essential to fulfill the theory I am describing.
So how does your idea of extra-dimensional aliens match up to this standard? Does it meet this standard any better than more traditional ideas of “God”?

TechTed

fantôme profane;1592448 said:
To suggest that it is more scientific than more traditional religious ideologies demeans both religion and science.

So how does your idea of extra-dimensional aliens match up to this standard? Does it meet this standard any better than more traditional ideas of “God”?

I think you are confused about what i am saying, or perhaps i am not saying it in a way that is resonating with you. Let me try this approach...

Again, my theory is not a scientific approach, nor am I claiming it to be "more scientific" than other religious ideologies...simply put, the advancement of science (in all disciplines) is the second most important endeavor the human race can be engaged in. With the survival of human kind being the first priority. Anything else that doesn't directly or indirectly ensure either of these two things is a waste of time, energy and resources.

If the continuation of organized religion ensures the overall survival of the human race until the singularity can be achieved, then it is useful and has a purpose. Etc...

And my question to you is, explain the difference to me between God and an extra-dimensional alien?

To me God is not of this earth (an alien?)

To me God does not live in our physical reality (extra-dimensional?)

Or at least tell which planet you think God is currently living on? ;)

TechTed

fantôme profane;1592448 said:
I am not saying that this conflicts with science, but I see no scientific evidence that leads me to conclude that such things exists. I can say (and have said many times) the exact same thing about “God”. I don’t believe in your higher extra-dimensional entities, and I don’t believe in “God”. There is no evidence for “God” and there is no evidence for these higher powers you suggest.

Oh, and I meant to respond to this statement as well, but forgot to add it in previously...

I agree there is no evidence for the existence of either due to one (or maybe all) of these three reasons:

a) No sentient life in our universe has achieved the technological singularity yet
b) A super-intelligent race has not made contact with us
c) Everything in existence is the result of random events and chaos, the knowledge needed to achieve a state of "higher power" is forever unattainable