• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientology most hated religion?

If you all think about it the most hated religion in the world currently is Islam, not that i agree with that actually i am very tolerant of other religions. Now lets take a look, its the second largest religion, started thousands of years ago, many current controversies, but people still go on about Scientology. I mean Islam was ok until the 9/11 attacks then all this random nonsense starting sprouting up and pushing on its doors. Now same thing with Scientology, people start picking up small things about the church, with no evidence, and start spreading it and create anti-scientology sites for reasons beyond me.

I just want to get to the bottom of it all and know why people cant just leave religions alone to spread. If every religion was given fair chance to grow like the major ones, christianity, islam, buddhism, then we would have a very diverse mix of beliefs.

Also to add why question the creator of the religions career? so what if Hubbard was a science-fiction writer? is he less motivating or responsible to help people? i mean jesus was like a tailor if i am correct and i bet the rulers of those days went on about jesus lying and not being close to the gods because he was a peasant. But of course that was a bunch of nonsense as well to try and put his rise in faith with the people down.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
If you all think about it the most hated religion in the world currently is Islam, not that i agree with that actually i am very tolerant of other religions. Now lets take a look, its the second largest religion, started thousands of years ago, many current controversies, but people still go on about Scientology. I mean Islam was ok until the 9/11 attacks then all this random nonsense starting sprouting up and pushing on its doors. Now same thing with Scientology, people start picking up small things about the church, with no evidence, and start spreading it and create anti-scientology sites for reasons beyond me.

I just want to get to the bottom of it all and know why people cant just leave religions alone to spread. If every religion was given fair chance to grow like the major ones, christianity, islam, buddhism, then we would have a very diverse mix of beliefs.

Also to add why question the creator of the religions career? so what if Hubbard was a science-fiction writer? is he less motivating or responsible to help people? i mean jesus was like a tailor if i am correct and i bet the rulers of those days went on about jesus lying and not being close to the gods because he was a peasant. But of course that was a bunch of nonsense as well to try and put his rise in faith with the people down.
So are you admitting now that your first thread was a sham? That you in fact already are a Scientologist and merely posed as a questioning soul considering Scientology so that you could extol it from a supposedly neutral position? And you wonder why there is a negative impression of Scientology?

So are you admitting now that your first thread was a sham? That you in fact already are a Scientologist and merely posed as a questioning soul considering Scientology so that you could extol it from a supposedly neutral position? And you wonder why there is a negative impression of Scientology?

First of all no i am not a scientologist REALLY, i just want to follow something with my beliefs in interest. All i am doing is getting information from as many sides as possible so i can address my consideration more thoroughly. In this thread i want to figure out why it is picked on so much and comparing it to islam in its current state. Plus if you read above i said people take things out of context like from the 9/11 attacks and blow on the religion, same with scientology. Few people say it's bad and start spreading.

I am not all for scientology, i just want to figure out if it is right for me or should i look onto a dif. religion with my beliefs interest.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
i mean jesus was like a tailor if i am correct and i bet the rulers of those days went on about jesus lying and not being close to the gods because he was a peasant. But of course that was a bunch of nonsense as well to try and put his rise in faith with the people down.
LOL! Yeah, Jesus was a tailor who spoke heretical things about the gods.

:bow:

Dunemeister

Nobody cares that Hubbard was a sci-fi writer. What people care about are his lies and manipulative practices. His lies are extremely well and thoroughly documented, and so are his manipulations of his followers. These lies and practices have been perpetuated by scientology. Honestly, if you're ACTUALLY interested in why people put down scientology, simply go to Wikipedia and READ. There are other Web sites, too. I won't bother listing them because anyone with a computer can use google to find umpteen of them. Why don't you read those sites, and if they provoke further questions, post them here.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
If you all think about it the most hated religion in the world currently is Islam, not that i agree with that actually i am very tolerant of other religions. .......... I mean Islam was ok until the 9/11 attacks then all this random nonsense starting sprouting up and pushing on its doors.

That you should believe the above is incredibly sad; most people who I know realise that 9/11 has absolutely nothing to do with Islam......

Religion has been used as an excuse so many times in the past for conquesta - but Religion has very rarely been the culprit. Man's own greed/intollerance has been the motivator.

An excerpt from the mighty "Wiki" reads as follows:- (Scientology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Scientology and the organizations that promote it have remained highly controversial since their inception. Former members, journalists, courts and the governing bodies of several countries have described the Church of Scientology as a cult and an unscrupulous commercial enterprise, accusing it of harassing its critics and abusing the trust of its members. Scientology officials argue that most of the negative press is motivated by interest groups and that most of the controversy is in the past.

Believe me, the Scientologists that I have met make the word "Proselytizers" positively harmless....... I workedfor some four years where these guys used to hang around - until they were banned by the local governament and were told that if theybroke the injunction, the fines would be harsh.

The "Religion" is one that concentrates on collecting money - and that is done by selling Ron Hubbards book to all and sundry...I am ashamed enough to admit that I paid for the book, just to get away from the group that saw some weakness in me. These guys are relentless- give them an inch, and they'l take a mile; I paid good money for something I put in the trash bin a hundred yards down the streets.

That isn't a religion; Here in England their way of "grooming" recruits is by handing out questionnaires which would show 99% of the population feel as if they are unempowered - I showed one to a psychologist friend of mine who agreed that it had been designed to have just that effect on those who complete the questionnaire. And that is just what Scientology (here, at any rate) "sells you" - the promisse that you will become so empowered that you won't recognise yourself.

Please don't put Islam in the same category as these guys.............

Popeyesays

i dont hate it ,its just rediculous, come on you must have some knowledge of its beleif system , or are you just picking the most outlandish religion and going for it.

Xenu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Galactic Confederacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Implant (Scientology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alkaid the home star of an interstellar empire?

It is one of the hottest visible stars--magnitude B3V. That it would support a biosphere is a stgrange idea.

Regards,
Scott

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I couldn't care less that Lafayette Ronald Hubbard was a sci-fi writer. Many of our most prophetic people are/were writers, and the medium sci-fi often tackles ethical issues in a way that no other medium can. Being a sci-fi writer is a plus in my book; the minus is that he wasn't very good.

The super minus is that he created a "religion" - a mishmash of sci-fi and pop psychology - in order to extract money from people.

The super duper minus is that in addition to taking their money, he controlled them with unchecked authority, cut them off from loved ones, as Draka has said, and initiated "reprogramming" for those who didn't fall into line. This has led to the violent deaths of several members of the "church" including L. Ron's own son.

Nessa Nenharma

Goddess of my Domain

Are you trying to defend Scientology, or simply trying to figure out how much ridicule you will recieve once you become one..??

I think if you are looking into becomming a Scientologist you should read a lot and look deeper within yourself to find the answer. It's in there, trust me :).

If you are trying to figure out what people will generally think of you once you become one, my only question would be : Why would you care?

Furthermore, you will find that every religion has, at one time or another, been ridiculed, slandered, and torn apart by one or more other religions, yet those religions have survived.

:bb:

Nessa

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The beliefs of Scientology are no more or less ridiculous than any other religion (which is very). I'm sure if it had the amount of years and followers under its belt that some of the other religions have, it'd get the same respect.The real reason people despise Scientology is because of the unethical conduct of their Church that has left lives ruined and even lost.

Lisa McPherson Memorial Page: killed by the Church of Scientology
Operation Freakout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Operation Snow White - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
YTMND - The Un-Funny Truth About Scientology

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
The beliefs of Scientology are no more or less ridiculous than any other religion (which is very). I'm sure if it had the amount of years and followers under its belt that some of the other religions have, it'd get the same respect.
It would be interesting to see what Scientology could become if its mythology were subjected to a couple of generations of midrash.

d.

_______
The real reason people despise Scientology is because of the unethical conduct of their Church that has left lives ruined and even lost.

precisely; if it wasn't for that, they'd be no more 'hated' than the digimon are real people.

Dunemeister said:
Nobody cares that Hubbard was a sci-fi writer.

i wouldn't dismiss it as completely irrelevant; seeing as how the mythology of scientology is so very much like a bad sci-fi novel.

Somkid

I have nothing against Scientology it is no more or less ridiculous than a lot of other religions; however the more vocal members are complete idiots and don't really help to sell your ideas and the conspiracy theories Oh, PLEASE give it a rest, there are enough problems in the world we don't need to make any up.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It would be interesting to see what Scientology could become if its mythology were subjected to a couple of generations of midrash.
That is an extremely interesting point. If Scientology survives and expands I think some kind of “midrash” is inevitable.

If you consider groups known as “Freezone” you will see that Scientology has already experienced something like the reformation (not to say that these other groups are any better). Some of these people believe that the Church of Scientology has lost its way and the true original teachings of Hubbard have become corrupted. And the COS sees these people as heretics (squirrels).

With Freezone and with all the web sites that offer information on the secret doctrines of Scientology we are bound to see much criticism, commentary and variations on Scientology mythology. There are even Scientology apologetics.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
fantôme profane;1158677 said:
That is an extremely interesting point. If Scientology survives and expands I think some kind of “midrash” is inevitable.

If you consider groups known as “Freezone” you will see that Scientology has already experienced something like the reformation (not to say that these other groups are any better). Some of these people believe that the Church of Scientology has lost its way and the true original teachings of Hubbard have become corrupted. And the COS sees these people as heretics (squirrels).

With Freezone and with all the web sites that offer information on the secret doctrines of Scientology we are bound to see much criticism, commentary and variations on Scientology mythology. There are even Scientology apologetics.

They go on to note that apostasy is common with all religions, and that the motive for Free Zone to attack the Church is that "they are in it for the money, since they hope they can persuade Scientologists in good standing with the Church to leave and join them instead."

Well at least the Church admits that it's all about the money. :rolleyes: I knew there were ex-members speaking out. I didn't know there were "reformationists." Whether or not one agrees with them, I agree with you that it's good. A variety of voices will weaken the monopoly of power that the "mother church" has, which is what is causing the problems.