• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Secular "Beliefs"?

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
And I am waiting for you to disprove the magic invisible bunny that flies through the air, spreading karma and good cheer. Until you prove it to me, I am going to be 'bunny agnostic' until someone can show me clear decisive evidence of it's existent or lack there of.

Why would the agnostic have the onus to disprove something he claims is impossible to disprove?

MTF

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
Question is, why would you believe in a human made god? (You know we evolved so why, how and uh? would this come come from), would also know about human psychology and the evolution of our god beliefs (in general).

I think perhaps it could be that you wish there was a god?

Presumes that all "gods" are human made. You are supposing that we are alone in this universe and that no beings more advanced than us exist?

Presumes that we know we evolved. You have 100% proof of this? I'm guessing you have a video recording of this happening perhaps? Rational individuals "know" that it is very likely we all evolved. But so what?

And as far as the last point goes: Are you serious? The man said he flat out believes it is impossible to show one way or another, therefore he is a closet believer? It's just not possible that someone has enough of a dedication to epistemic principle that he refuses to ideologically commit in cases of complete ignorance?

MTF

dust1n

Zindīq
Why would the agnostic have the onus to disprove something he claims is impossible to disprove?

MTF

You are right.

The point of the post was to suggest: Why would the atheist need to disprove God when he didn't bring up the existence of an unverifiable God?

Gabethewiking

Presumes that all "gods" are human made. You are supposing that we are alone in this universe and that no beings more advanced than us exist?

Nope, only the ones that have been claimed to exist, all other gods, bunnies or things you may claim I have no opinion about as no knowledge of it exist so far. Please do not put words in my mouth :)

No evidence for any gods, therefore no claim of any gods.

Presumes that we know we evolved. You have 100% proof of this? I'm guessing you have a video recording of this happening perhaps? Rational individuals "know" that it is very likely we all evolved. But so what?

I know we evolved, no presumtion, fact of it has been shown.
I recommend you other threads showing evidence for our evolution.

And as far as the last point goes: Are you serious? The man said he flat out believes it is impossible to show one way or another, therefore he is a closet believer? It's just not possible that someone has enough of a dedication to epistemic principle that he refuses to ideologically commit in cases of complete ignorance?

It is impossible to prove that Invisible Dragons exist one way or another as well, so why does nhe not claim agnosticism about them? Why pick "gods" as one of unlimited options? Could it be the wish that they exist if he is so keen on claiming "no possible evidence can prove or disprove THIS specific thing"?

Ace Otana

Captain
I am just waiting for an atheist or any religious person to prove it to me... The only logical position, IMO

Is that not the gist of it?

Not quite. As an atheist I'm not claiming that there is no god. I just don't believe god exists. You can't prove one way or the other.

Agnostic Atheist is one who makes no claim either way as he/she cannot know weather a god exists or not but does lack belief in the existance of god.
This is lack of belief.

Gnostic Atheist is one who claims there is no god, would even go as far as to claim to know there is no god. This is a belief.

I'm an agnostic atheist.:D

"If a man has failed to find any good reason for believing that there is a God, it is perfectly natural and rational that he should not believe that there is a God; and if so, he is an atheist... if he goes farther, and, after an investigation into the nature and reach of human knowledge, ending in the conclusion that the existence of God is incapable of proof, cease to believe in it on the ground that he cannot know it to be true, he is an agnostic and also an atheist – an agnostic-atheist."

Last edited: