• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Secular vs Religious Humanism

Zeno

Wasn't Sir Thomas More a humanist, and a Catholic? If a person can't be a humanist and believe in god, then I think you're going to have to throw away a huge lot of humanist writings and ideas.

I think we are getting caught up on the differences between humanism and secular humanism.

My (not very well read) example would be someone who believes that we shouldn't kill each other because we all share the "human condition" can also believe that God told us "Thou shall not murder."

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I think we are getting caught up on the differences between humanism and secular humanism.

My (not very well read) example would be someone who believes that we shouldn't kill each other because we all share the "human condition" can also believe that God told us "Thou shall not murder."

I understand the difference. Secular humanism is just a branch of humanist philosophy, and is therefore still under the "humanism" umbrella. My point was directed at the suggestion that it is impossible for one to be a humanist and a theist at the same time. That idea is simply not true, because there are many branches of humanist philosophy, secular being only one of those branches, and not the only one.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I understand the difference. Secular humanism is just a branch of humanist philosophy, and is therefore still under the "humanism" umbrella. My point was directed at the suggestion that it is impossible for one to be a humanist and a theist at the same time. That idea is simply not true, because there are many branches of humanist philosophy, secular being only one of those branches, and not the only one.
It is more than not true. It is so demonstrably ignorant that it is difficult to account for such a position. One need only review the early Humanist Manifestos and pay some attention to the signators ...