• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeing RF from a Regular Folk's Perspective

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think that server fees are all that high, and I think that RF is being run at a profit, as a business. But let's have the figures, let's have some transparency.
If I were Rex, I wouldn't divulge my P&L statement.
(I'd be ashamed for making so little profit.)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Please get rid of the the annoying pop-up ads trying to sell us premium membership.
I can live with ads as long as it dosent lag out the enjoyment to where posting and browsing becomes almost impossible.

Pop ups are just malicious in my book, unethical, and just outright rude.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't think that server fees are all that high, and I think that RF is being run at a profit, as a business. But let's have the figures, let's have some transparency.

Suspicions of tiny costs and huge profits aside, Spiny, servers do charge fees. RF is privately owned and has every right to sell memberships in order to offset its costs of doing business, and it even has a right to make a profit. Whether it does or doesn't, I don't know. I don't personally begrudge people for making a profit -- especially if I like the service they provide.

MountainPine

Deuteronomy 30:16
The message pop-up asking people to disable Adblocker is totally unnecessary and can actually be annoying to some. If people want to use Adblocker, then that's their business. Even though you're not charging anyone to use the site, it's still a little greedy, in my opinion, to ask them to disable it just for the sake of the site's revenue.

Last edited:

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
The message pop-up asking people to disable Adblocker is totally unnecessary and can actually be annoying to some. If people want to use Adblocker, then that's their business. Even though you're not charging anyone to use the site, it's still a little greedy, in my opinion, to ask them to disable it just for the sake of the site's revenue.

I run adblock and I'm on multiple forums, and it's fairly common to see messages to adblock users so I don't see a problem with it.

However, some ads on forums basically lock up my FF browser, so I will keep using adblock.

Sorry to be a bit late to the discussion.

I do get on with other browsers and see the popups. I do think that there should be less ads for registered users than unregistered visitors.

(Perhaps there are, IDK)

But some ads/banners are to be expected I think. TANSTAAFL

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The problem is that sites like RF depend on ad revenue to sustain. In other words you're getting content without helping RF pay the bills.

There's a flip-side to that. Members like us, with thousands of posts, have actually created a large amount of that content. Content which search engines use to index and rate the site. Our content creates traffic, and thus, revenue. As far as I'm concerned, if anything, I should be getting paid for providing thousands of pages of free content for a profit-driven site. I'm certainly not going to pay for the privilege of giving the site owner free, money-making content.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There's a flip-side to that. Members like us, with thousands of posts, have actually created a large amount of that content. Content which search engines use to index and rate the site. Our content creates traffic, and thus, revenue. As far as I'm concerned, if anything, I should be getting paid for providing thousands of pages of free content for a profit-driven site. I'm certainly not going to pay for the privilege of giving the site owner free, money-making content.
I think you deserve a raise....double pay!

Kori

Dark Valkyrie...what's not to love?
Suspicions of tiny costs and huge profits aside, Spiny, servers do charge fees. RF is privately owned and has every right to sell memberships in order to offset its costs of doing business, and it even has a right to make a profit. Whether it does or doesn't, I don't know. I don't personally begrudge people for making a profit -- especially if I like the service they provide.

REVOLUTION AGAINST THE CAPITALISTS!!!!!!!!:fist:

Attachments

• 0rm.png
    0rm.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 47