• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self Imposed Labels (religious)

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
How a practitioner interprets Christianity does not matter relative to what I said previously. No matter how a Christian interprets it, they will all fit the criteria of the label "Christian".

So then anyone who interprets themself as a Christian fits the criteria of their own "Christian" label.

You can't argue with that. :D

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
So then anyone who interprets themself as a Christian fits the criteria of their own "Christian" label.

You can't argue with that. :D

No, people can simply be wrong or lie.

SLAMH

I suppose labels are as (meaningfully) ambiguous as peoples' "pictures" of them are different/varried. Perhaps they are.

I think you are confusing label's definiteness with human's judgments which are necessarily subjective. Someone (say follow the Qura'n literally) think Islam is the religion of peace, whilst another argues that it is not, he did read and study about Islam but he still thinks that the teachings of Qura'n suppresses women. Sometimes, the labels are clear but we tend to have our own critiques and judgments. Perhaps the aforementioned is another subjective look, perhaps your quote is better. I think I should always stick with "Perhaps".

In daily everyday life people generally just get along- or 'get on' together, accomplishing their own parts, fulfilling their own roles in the day's business of 'getting (or moving) along'. We see only little 'sketches' of each other, which may include titles and other labels. What people think they see beyond that often has far more to do with what they think and see, than it has anything at all to do with the person (they imagine) they are observing.

Agreed.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Wrong according to WHO?
Wrong according whose criteria?

huh???
:confused:even if they are wrong?

What do you mean wrong according to who? The criteria for carrying a label is based on definitions and reason. If a person thinks they fit the label of 'Christian', but they do not believe in Christ, they do not believe in God, and they think the bible is a load of horse crap, then the person who thinks they fit the label is simply wrong. Taking the label is illogical and contradicts the very definition of Christianity and the concepts associated with it.

Yes, I said "No matter how a Christian interprets it, they will all fit the criteria of the label "Christian", and I didn't contradict that. If we are arguing about how to interpret Christianity, we have already accepted the label of Christian. There is a difference between fitting a label and how you interpret it. One Christian may be monotheistic, strict creationist, etc where another may see the bible as symbolic, be a panentheist and mystic and so on. Both of them fit the label of "Christian" though.