• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serpent and Dove

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
in iconography what might a serpent and dove represent?

16 “Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As it implies, the serpent is considered a sneaky but wise trickster whereas the dove was used as a symbol of peace [note my avatar].

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
As it implies, the serpent is considered a sneaky but wise trickster whereas the dove was used as a symbol of peace [note my avatar].

In most cultures, beyond Abrahamic influence, the serpent represents rebirth because of its shedding skin.

beauty and the beast entangled in love the phoenix rising?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

16 “Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.
An interesting contradiction given how vilified serpents are in the Bible.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes. Dualism.

Alchemy requires Dualism.
no. it simply requires the illusion/allusion of it. ignoring the subconscious is a choice. the knower always has the choice to pull the curtain back on the great oz. stop believing what everyone else tells you

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
An interesting contradiction given how vilified serpents are in the Bible.
Yes. But the reason they're used that way is they are metaphorically dangerous for their perceived astuteness. Their astuteness isn't their problem it's their superpower.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes

If that's true, then there is no serpent and there is no dove. Your premise just collapsed into oblivion... Again.

At least you're consistently wrong. That's useful.
the only absolute is that there are no absolutes. the way is neither to the left nor the right, or dual. there is not eternals. there is only the eternal, infinte dao. the way is singular. evolution and involution is a revolution. the serpent eating itself

alf

The serpent and the dove mentioned in the above quote refers to the apostolic ministry in which Jesus tells them to keep a balance between the wisdom-mind and the heart-emotion.

The apostolic ministry is for people to maintain the same balance, if someone favors the mind, approaches them with emotions and on the contrary, if someone nurtures emotions, approaches them with wisdom.

And Paul uses the same thing when he calls them..
How do you want me to come to you, with a stick or a meek spirit?

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
It's certain that there are no absolutes. And I am absolutely certain about it.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

It depends on the culture. In the west, doves usually mean peace, and serpents make us think of evil. Some Native American tribes see doves as bad omens and a sign of death, while the snake is seen as a sign of transformation and renewal (because snakes shed their skins).

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Within some Native American tribes, "Coyote" serves a similar purpose as the Serpent, namely wise but a trickster.