• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Settlers, Warriors, and Nomads

OK, so I get discouraged. I keep telling myself to stick to the path and stay away from the mores. The woodlands, mountains are inviting but difficult. The good news is I have my camera gear, laptop, and most of what I need to head out. I'll stick to the city until I have a better way to travel. Lots to document in town. Lots to write about. If I head to the mountains, survival mode ... It'll be a harsh reality until other arrangements are made. I haven't purchased a bow yet. I have one in process. A long bow to be made from Osage Orange. I'll be heading back to the gym in a couple months. The winter is nearly over, and spring is calling. More time outside sounds great. Cabin fever.,

I still haven't been back to the gym. I must be slipping. Not really, I'm just not in the area yet. I've been anticipating heading back since spring. Summer is nearly over. It does appear that I'll be on my way in a few weeks, though. Octoberfest festival and fall colors are on the horizon. My nomadic nature is often enough challenged by cozy conditions, but I'm sticking to the path anyway. About two weeks, maybe three until my next transfer. I've been organizing. I should be ready for my outdoor trek into the wild in another year, complete with transportation. Until then, I'm packing, storing, organizing, and doing my best to get through each day. I haven't made my bow yet, but I'll be able to begin working on it next month. It has been sitting for nearly a year drying out.

Seeds, dried goods, tools, and clothes. The world is a mess, but nature calls. I may snap a few images today. Lots in life to document, even beyond our political satire of a reality in the States. There was a nice pile of tree brush that looks interesting sitting by the tracks a month or two ago. It'll be a safer gig unless I find a copper head in there.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Feel free to join in this journal as a Settler, Warrior, or Nomad

"Warrior" is one of those words that has a pretty straight-forward literal definition with connotative meanings that can be more individualistic and murky (something I enjoy about the English language since it makes it more dynamic).

I say this since I have been meditating on the meaning for most of this year. In October, my partner and I will be testing for our black belts in Karate. Part of the test includes a presentation of our "Martial Arts Journey." A warrior is one who engages in war bravely and with skill. A martial artist is one who trains in martial (as in combat) skills. The artistry comes in with the individual interpretations of the skills.

A martial artist is one who can be said to be a warrior: engaging in combat skillfully and bravely is an essential feature of both.

But in some martial arts, Karate in particular, the combat side may be the framework, but the core is character-building. For those outside of Karate or maybe more experienced in some styles of karate that focus more on combat, this can be a kind of weird paradox. Learning to fight so as not to fight seems like learning to cook in order to not cook.

Gichin Funakashi, the founder of Shotokan Karate, said "The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or in defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants.” He also spoke about Karate providing for the basic self-defense of common people. The later statement is hardly about being a warrior.

However, character-building is often a battle: It's a battle with one's self. Remaining humble, learning self-control, the discipline of training, enduring pain and managing a fight when one is emotionally and physically exhausted are inner battles that must be trained and fought with bravery and skill.

Am I a warrior? I am certainly a Karateka. I have studied Karate most of my life. I have been in fights but never war. But I fight the battle we all do; the Battle With One's Self is never over. Shodan level black belt is only the first step in a lifelong battle that I bravely face with discipline and continual reminder of humility.

I'm a Chicagoland Jew with an interest in sociology who rejects employing "nomad" as some D&D-like character type.
It's not a D&D thing. It's a homeless and struggling, feral reality type of life reality. But, I played dungeons and dragons when I was younger. Sometimes we do a little role playing out here, too. I'm a photographer, a journalist, and a nomad. Why? I have no home. I'm a self employed, freelance photographer and journalist without a home. It's a little crazy out here sometimes. Pay sucks, but I'm really not playing for money. I enjoy the documentation and record keeping, being the watcher on the roof top looking at the field down wind. We are one of three types of people, or so I've read it times past.

1. Nomad 2. Settler 3. Warrior and while this may seem to be D&D'esque, it really isn't. This is simply how people are categorized. I wasn't even aware of it until I read it, then I thought hmm ... It appears a fall somewhere between here and here, so here I am and I'm not playing D&D

This is life. This is a life journal specifically and has been ongoing (when able) for over 3 years now. I've been out here for 9. Boy, do I have some stories to tell. I won't share them here. I'm also a published author.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I understand "nomad" differently.
Me too. I used to be what I consider to be a Nomad, then I went through my Warrior stage, and now that I am older I consider myself to be a Settler. I'm too old for all that other crap.

I remember my dad telling me that he was "too old to die on that particular mountain" and I totally get it now.

I'm in a warrior stage, I suppose.

What's 'settler' mean to you, @Balthazzar ?
Settlement mentality as opposed to a travel and nomadic one. The warrior, the nomad, and the settler, I think exists in all of us, due to our history as humans. It's where we come from and deeply embedded into our genetic coding. I suppose it requires some motivation to pull any of the three out of us in efforted choices. We get so accustomed to society and communal living that the other aspects or personality traits lie dormant sometimes. I grew up between settler and nomad and grew into an increasing warrior type nomadic mentality. I resist the warrior, try to embrace the nomad, and I sometimes shudder at the thought of complacency and settlement. Although, I intend to settle somewhere someday.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Settlement mentality as opposed to a travel and nomadic one
The human mind needs to keep moving in order to maintain any sort of balance.

The nomadic mind achieves balance by moving in a straight line, like a bicycle.

The non-nomadic mind can only achieve balance by spinning in place, like a top.

The nomadic mind moves through a world with an ever changing landscape, and the newness of it captures the attention, maintains interest, and sparks curiosity.

The settled mind just sees the same things over and over again in a big redundant blur.

That's why the settled mind has always been bending over backwards trying to make sense of things, trying to find some meaning.

A mind in motion doesn't have to do that, it's too busy experiencing everything, and it realizes the meaning is in the experience.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Oh well, I don't see it and also am not going to look for it online somewhere.

I'm transferring to another location. A nice vacation spot in the BGS. Leave of absence, I guess. I'll put my camera away, my laptop, maybe grab a stick and whittle out an elephant or something. Maybe find a nice diner with a cute little waitress working and have some coffee. It's getting close to winter anyway. I'll be around next year ... maybe. She may want to take me hostage. Wishful thinking.

Have a nice rest of year ... I'm all packed up.

Attachments

• IMG_20240916_154154180~2.jpg
    IMG_20240916_154154180~2.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: