• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seven Day Weekly Cycle

rstrats

Sometimes when a discussion about Sabbath observance takes place, a comment is made that we can’t really know when the Sabbath really is because of all the changes that have occurred to the calendar over the years. Does anyone have any documentation that shows that the seven day weekly cycle has been interrupted at anytime since at least the first century?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
To day we use the Gregorian calendar
In the past we used the Julian Calendar Other Christian calendars include the Ethiopian and Coptic which also added extra days.
Numerous other calendars exist including Jewish and Chinese and Islamic . All the systems that add extra leap days so so at different times, so there is no easy comparison.
In the Gregorian the 7 day interval is preserved but there is no knowing that that has always been the case.
The change over came in most of Europe in 1582
There had been many mix ups with the Julian Calendar as days had not been added correctly.

I am not sure any of this matters as we have no idea of the day of the week or even the date of the early Christian events. Anniversaries and the like have no direct mathematical connection the event remembered.

Last edited:

james2ko

Sometimes when a discussion about Sabbath observance takes place, a comment is made that we can’t really know when the Sabbath really is because of all the changes that have occurred to the calendar over the years. Does anyone have any documentation that shows that the seven day weekly cycle has been interrupted at anytime since at least the first century?

I can do better than that: :)

"The week of seven days has been in use ever since the days of the Mosaic dispensation, and we have no reason for supposing that any irregularities have existed in the succession of weeks and their days from that time to the present" (Dr. W.W. Campbell, Statement. [Dr. Campbell was Director of Lick Observatory, Mt. Hamilton, California.]).

"The continuity of the week has crossed the centuries and all known calendars, still intact" (Professor D. Eginitis, Statement [Dr. Eginitis was Director of the Observatory of Athens, Greece.]).​

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I can do better than that: :)
"The week of seven days has been in use ever since the days of the Mosaic dispensation, and we have no reason for supposing that any irregularities have existed in the succession of weeks and their days from that time to the present" (Dr. W.W. Campbell, Statement. [Dr. Campbell was Director of Lick Observatory, Mt. Hamilton, California.]).

"The continuity of the week has crossed the centuries and all known calendars, still intact" (Professor D. Eginitis, Statement [Dr. Eginitis was Director of the Observatory of Athens, Greece.]).

The seven day cycle is based on the 28 day Luna month, which does not change. and was know about in the stone age.
Calendars are based on the 365+ day year and are in other respects arbitrary.

However the start of Luna cycle varies by up to a day depending from where you observe it. that is why we have the international date line. people only feet apart can be in different days. Days have remained the same in Europe and the Middle East but not necessarily every where else.

Heh great question, never wondered about that. :D I agree with the fact that people couldn't loose the day count. I suppose that would have affected the daily activities a lot. :)

Richard Kastner

Calenders are used to keep trake of the days of the month and their respective position on the days of the week. The day, month, and year all have astronomical presidents. The week however is taken from the Genesis account and it's only precident is that that's the way God wants it. It's weekly cycle has never been compromised.

rstrats

re: "The week however is taken from the Genesis account and it's only precident is that that's the way God wants it. It's weekly cycle has never been compromised."

I wonder if there is anyway to prove that? But probably there isn't. It most likely could only be shown that it (the weekly cycle) has at some time been compromised/interrupted.