• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex before marriage in the christian faith

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So obviously those who divorce for reasons other than adultery, and practicing homosexuals are not Christians even though in every other way they qualify as such.

This why your claim that people are not Christians unless they conform to your requirements comes off as hubris. Which is fine, but don't expect anyone else to pay any attention to your claim, other than to tell you we are aware of what a narrow minded position you're operating from: JWs are the only Christians in the world.

if taking the bible as the basis for our teachings is being narrow, then ok, i conceed, we are proudly narrow. :)

Wherenextcolumbus

not to mention the trail of unfathered children who grow up disadvantaged and in poverty

That's why we have the contraceptive pill and condoms and abortion. You can have sex outside marriage and protect yourself from getting pregnant.
I am an unfathered child and would have been much worse off emotionally if my mother and father were married.

Alceste

Vagabond
That's why we have the contraceptive pill and condoms and abortion. You can have sex outside marriage and protect yourself from getting pregnant.
I am an unfathered child and would have been much worse off emotionally if my mother and father were married.

And I'm a normally fathered child who turned out much worse off emotionally BECAUSE my mother and father were married, thanks to my father's personal battles with mental illness causing endless problems for the whole family.

Wherenextcolumbus

And I'm a normally fathered child who turned out much worse off emotionally BECAUSE my mother and father were married, thanks to my father's personal battles with mental illness causing endless problems for the whole family.

Marriage hasn't necessarily been beneficial for women and children, even if some religious people think it is or want it to be. That's not reality.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
what are peoples thoughts about this i have met these neo harvard educated theologians and pastors who endorse sex before marriage. and then of course there is the more main line doctrine.

I think that this is personal choice. If a person is concerned about premarital sex from a spiritual perspective, they can take their concerns to God. It's not really anyone else's business.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have never heard any scientific or mystical reasons behind it in the Christian faith, other than simplistic stuff like it's bad, you'll go to hell, it's the way it is. Maybe there is a deeper explanation out there, and its just that I never heard of it.

I know other faiths have deeper explanations, but this thread was just for Christianity.

Alceste

Vagabond
I have never heard any scientific or mystical reasons behind it in the Christian faith, other than simplistic stuff like it's bad, you'll go to hell, it's the way it is. Maybe there is a deeper explanation out there, and its just that I never heard of it.

I know other faiths have deeper explanations, but this thread was just for Christianity.

It's a sacred covenant with God sort of thing. Like, marriage is holy and sacred and so forth. It's like the box God needs to have ticked off in order him to be OK with you having sex. So I understand, from going with friends to church. I have to admit, it doesn't make any sense to me, but it seemed "deeper" to the people at the service. Marriage to them is not just a union of two people, but a kind of three way deal with God.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

what does sex result in?

It results in pregnancy and life. life is sacred to God....especially human life because human life is created in his image. It needs to come into the world in a dignified way.

This is why God is so strict on how sex is used. He wants a child to be born into the world in a secure environment where both parents are there for it.

sex outside of marriage results in children without fathers, or they may end up in the abortion bucket.

That is not what God wants so he puts very tight restrictions on how sex is to be carried out.

Skwim

Veteran Member
what does sex result in?

It results in pregnancy and life.
Sometimes, yes. Most times, no.

It needs to come into the world in a dignified way.
What does coming into the world in a dignified way consists of?

This is why God is so strict on how sex is used. He wants a child to be born into the world in a secure environment where both parents are there for it.
And many, many times, whether it's conceived in wedlock or not, it is not born into the world in a secure environment where both parents are there for it. Too many parents, wedded or not, are total failures at raising children. Sex inside marriage and with two parents is no guarantee that a child will grow up better than one born outside of marriage and with a single parent.

sex outside of marriage results in children without fathers, or they may end up in the abortion bucket.
All children, and without qualification? Now I know you're just trolling here with one enormous paint brush. Shame on you!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Hypocrites. That sort of thing really irritates me. I've dated a couple serious Christians and the whole post-coital sin / guilt / shame "satan sent you to tempt me from the path of righteousness" thing is really tedious.
Your lack of respect for diversity is duly noted. :facepalm:

Wherenextcolumbus

what does sex result in?

It results in pregnancy and life. life is sacred to God....especially human life because human life is created in his image. It needs to come into the world in a dignified way.

That is not what God wants so he puts very tight restrictions on how sex is to be carried out.

:facepalm: I've never been pregnant...

Alceste

Vagabond
Your lack of respect for diversity is duly noted. :facepalm:

Are you kidding me? MY lack of respect? After I sleep with a person I am dating in good faith and he says he thinks I am a minion of Satan because I intentionally tempted him from the path of righteousness?

Sorry, I don't think so. It's extremely disrespectful to tell people they're working for satan, and if that's what you think you should not be taking them to bed in the first place.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Are you kidding me? MY lack of respect? After I sleep with a person I am dating in good faith and he says he thinks I am a minion of Satan because I intentionally tempted him from the path of righteousness?

Sorry, I don't think so. It's extremely disrespectful to tell people they're working for satan, and if that's what you think you should not be taking them to bed in the first place.

You have met some really bad examples of Christians over the years, I'll give you that much. :sorry1:

Alceste

Vagabond
You have met some really bad examples of Christians over the years, I'll give you that much. :sorry1:

I've met some good ones too. :) The two guys I dated were a complete mess, but the Christian girls I am friends with are perfectly normal. OTOH, I've never had sex with my Christian girlfriends. Maybe they'd have a different perspective, what with both of us representing the gender that is supposed to have started all that business with the snake and the forbidden fruit. :D