• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

shaktism vs vaishnavism and shaivism

ratikala

Istha gosthi
jai jai , so we prove that the lord and his shakti are never seperated which ever tradition we follow ,

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste

These stories are all, of course, allegorical. The true gods do not behave in such fashion. Depicts of these behaviors are for moral instruction, and for appreciation of particular qualities of the gods through their dramatic illustration. If such things can be said to have come to pass, it is as minor emanations or projections of the root god.

The true activities of the Lord can never be depicted in the terms of the material reality only grossly approximated for the benefit of the intellect which may, by intuiting the necessity of its own sacred role in the sacrifice of antahkarana of which it is apart, perform shavasana before the blade of Kali.

Namaste

Exactly. I don't think there is a story of the gods that does not have a lesson to teach or a point to illustrate. The challenge is to find and understand it.

I don't personally believe that Lord Narasimha appeared on Earth (on the material plane), for example. The moral of His story with Hiranyakashipu, in my view, is several-fold:

1. You can't try to outwit the gods as Hiranyakashipu tried to do;

2. God will always protect His/Her devotee, no matter how dire the circumstances, if you surrender completely to and trust unequivocally in Him/Her;

3. Even Hiranyakashipu was eventually redeemed because he always had the Lord in his mind, even though it was hatred (this is a commentary I read somewhere, one of those things that stick in your mind);

4. The Lord's mercy and love is boundless.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Or even closer.
androgyny-Ardhanarisvara.jpg

That's one of the best images of Ardhanārīśvara that I've seen. I have a 4x6" framed on a wall. I have to check, but I thought I read that a murthi of Ardhanārīśvara will be installed in the new temple.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's one of the best images of Ardhanārīśvara that I've seen. I have a 4x6" framed on a wall. I have to check, but I thought I read that a murthi of Ardhanārīśvara will be installed in the new temple.

That would be unusual. Often that murthi is mistaken for a Shakti. (Because of clothes) I have one at home though.

But it does sound like your temple will be all-encompassing, for lack of a better word. If it is sectioned by sect, check out the Saiva section then, but look closely at the head. Even Nataraja wears one earring to illustrate the concept.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
But it does sound like your temple will be all-encompassing, for lack of a better word.

It is and will be even more so when there is room for more sanctums. In my thread about my temple moment, I have a partial list of the deities and their pujas. Come to think of it, especially because it's south Indian style, one might say it's Smarta tradition with Vishnu (Guruvayurappan) as the presiding deity/ishtadevata.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
It is and will be even more so when there is room for more sanctums. In my thread about my temple moment, I have a partial list of the deities and their pujas. Come to think of it, especially because it's south Indian style, one might say it's Smarta tradition with Vishnu (Guruvayurappan) as the presiding deity/ishtadevata.

Totally off topic but I just read 'presiding deity' as 'pestering deity'. Which I can vouch for. Sometimes devas and devis will pester you to madness!

Vrindavana Das

There are 3 kinds of miseries all humans are subject to:

Ādhidavika: Miseries inflicted upon us by Devī, Devatās, natural calamaties etc.

Ādhibhautīka: Miseries inflicted upon us by other living beings like mosquitoes, snakes, humans, bugs etc.

Ādhiyātmīka: Miseries inflicted upon us by our own selves - our mind, senses, ego, intelligence etc.

PJHarmonic

I've always heard the Divine Creative Energy referred to as Shiva's Shakti. When speaking about all forms of manifestation and Maya (the delusion of difference/separation), the seeker is relating to Shakti. Once Maya has been revealed (enlightenment), Shiva is the Revelation and His Shakti, His Consort, is the Manifestation. Maya is Shakti while delusion persists. Shakti is Maya unmasked by the Realization of Shiva. Shiva-Shakti is One. Shiva is the Support of Shakti, and Shakti the Creative Manifestation of Shiva.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
is shivas shakti ever called by name u know like how radha krishna is. i mean is durga,kali or prvati ever used

I prefer to use the name and image of Kali. Others Durga, others Parvati. It depends on the individual.

Shuddhasattva

is shivas shakti ever called by name u know like how radha krishna is. i mean is durga,kali or prvati ever used

Namaste

The way that "Shiva's Shakti" was expressed to you was rather mistaken in my opinion, describing Shakti as some sort of subsidiary of Shiva. While some Shaivites may take this view, Shaktas won't.

Many names are used - outer, inner and secret. The outer names/forms are the publicly used ones, the inner names/forms are the privately used ones, and the secret ones are for initiated disciples of a particular parampara (lineage.)

Shakti has many names and forms, and many of them are regarded as swarups (full manifestation of the absolute); as mentioned by Riverwolf Durga and Kali are popular.

Namaste

Wannabe Yogi

Namaste

The way that "Shiva's Shakti" was expressed to you was rather mistaken in my opinion, describing Shakti as some sort of subsidiary of Shiva. While some Shaivites may take this view, Shaktas won't.

Many names are used - outer, inner and secret. The outer names/forms are the publicly used ones, the inner names/forms are the privately used ones, and the secret ones are for initiated disciples of a particular parampara (lineage.)

Shakti has many names and forms, and many of them are regarded as swarups (full manifestation of the absolute); as mentioned by Riverwolf Durga and Kali are popular.

Namaste

True !!! In the Chandi Siva is called the Ambassador of the Devi. I do not take this as literal.

PJHarmonic

My Shakti description is from the viewpoint of Advaita Vedanta, and is Shaivite by tradition. Shakti is not considered in any sense the lesser. It only states that whatever arises on whatever level is Shakti. Shiva does not appear. If manifestation appears at the level of duality, it is Shakti as Maya. If one has attained mukti, or liberation, then all appearance is seen Shakti. Shiva-Shakti is non-dual. There is no one or the other in this system. If Siva remained within Himself, nothing would appear. Shakti is the term for His movement into manifestation.