• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shame on US capital punishment

Ozzie

America pretends to be the leader in world affairs from a Western perspective. Yet Americans sanction state executions in the 21st century. What a joke that makes of American leadership. Anyone living in a state free from the scum of capital punishment is more free than any American can imagine. Freedom is a joke in an America that espouses and professes freedom whilst killing those who over indulge.

What influence has America's preference for killing her own had in declining American prestige world-wide? On that score, from a civilised perspective America is retarded.

Ciscokid

America pretends to be the leader in world affairs from a Western perspective. Yet Americans sanction state executions in the 21st century. What a joke that makes of American leadership. Anyone living in a state free from the scum of capital punishment is more free than any American can imagine. Freedom is a joke in an America that espouses and professes freedom whilst killing those who over indulge.

What influence has America's preference for killing her own had in declining American prestige world-wide? On that score, from a civilised perspective America is retarded.

I think the death penalty is great under certain circumstances. Then again, I don't think a beating heart is what makes a human life worth something...it's the actions or lack thereof that determine that.

I believe human dignity and worth can be lost and corrupted.

kadzbiz

Until you are the victim, the brother or sister of a victim, the father or mother of a victim, the son or daughter of a victim (and so on) who suffered a horrendous barbaric act of a recalcitrant offender, you will probably never believe in capital punishment.

BFD_Zayl

i'm a strong supporter of capital punishment, under the right circumstances though, of course. you kill some innocents in cold blood... we will kill you back to make certain you do not do it again, that, and it provides some closure to the grieving.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Wow well this thread seemingly came out of the blue, is there anything that has made you feel this way more so then usual Ozzie? And arn't there plenty of these threads already without another one?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Those countries that do not have the death penalty... which includes virtually all Europe.
See it as the barbaric and selfish side of America.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Until you are the victim, the brother or sister of a victim, the father or mother of a victim, the son or daughter of a victim (and so on) who suffered a horrendous barbaric act of a recalcitrant offender, you will probably never believe in capital punishment.
Of the many millions of people who have turned out to cheer at public hangings, how many do you suppose were victims, the brothers or sisters, the parents, or children of a victim?

Dr. Nosophoros

The only problem I have with the death penalty is that there are numerous examples of people who have been proven innocent later after receiving the death sentence so in that case maybe it should be prohibited overall only because of uncertainty, nobody ever said the system was perfect, none is anywhere.
That said I feel that in cases where there is absolutely no doubt that a person committed a crime there is no reason that person should not be put to death, is it cruel and unusual to strap someone down, inject them with drugs to sedate them then inject them with chemicals that will kill them as quickly as possible and who would get a somewhat dignified funeral- what kind of death did their did their victims get? Thrown by the side of the road like a piece of garbage or chopped up and thrown into a public toilet at a highway rest stop because the criminal thought the chemicals would dissolve the flesh, or some other thing.

Ciscokid

Of the many millions of people who have turned out to cheer at public hangings, how many do you suppose were victims, the brothers or sisters, the parents, or children of a victim?

Where did Kadzbiz mention public hangings? We're addressing captial punishment.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I find it odd that the penalty for a crime should be a re-iteration of the crime itself. If it is wrong for the criminal to kill, why is it not wrong for the executioner to do so? Is a moral decision made by a group of laymen more likely to be correct than a decision made by an individual?

Then again. You have to keep in mind that the purpose of the justice system is not justice. Its primary function is to prevent the vendetta that would result if wronged individuals' ire were not assuaged by a more institutionalized system of vengeance.

As Kadzbiz points out, victims, and friends of victims, want vengeance. They want to hurt someone who's hurt them, and the courts oblige them. Penalties for the same crime vary with the number and ire of victim's friends.
When the public calls for blood, the courts find someone and kill them. Public order is preserved.

The Seeker

Once upon a time....
I've always thought it to be ironic that many consider the US as a Christian nation, yet many of these same people are ok with capital punishment.

The US is also one of only seven countries in the world to allow juveniles to be put the death. The others are China, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Yemen, Congo, Nigeria and Iran. It appears that every other civilized country in the world has found capital punishment for minors to be morally wrong.

I've never understood the need for capital punishment. Two wrongs don't make a right. If someone assaults me, should I have the right to beat the crap out of them as a form of punishment? If someone steals from me, should I have the right to take whatever possessions I want from the thief?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
If you are a serial killer, a serial rapist, or a child molester I think the state has the responsibility to end your threat to society, permanently.

Dr. Nosophoros

I've always thought it to be ironic that many consider the US as a Christian nation, yet many of these same people are ok with capital punishment.

I never stated myself as a Christian, yet I am part of America.

The US is also one of only seven countries in the world to allow juveniles to be put the death. The others are China, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Yemen, Congo, Nigeria and Iran. It appears that every other civilized country in the world has found capital punishment for minors to be morally wrong.

Boohoo, a nine year old can pull a trigger just as well as a twenty five year old.

I've never understood the need for capital punishment. Two wrongs don't make a right. If someone assaults me, should I have the right to beat the crap out of them as a form of punishment?

Absolutely.

A

angellous_evangellous

I wish we could have capital punishment without the silly appeals process. I like having people in prison knowing the time and date of their death - very cool - but they should only be on death row for three to five years with one or two appeals that don't cost the state anything.

Ciscokid

Have you read the Bible? Jesus told his followers to obey the law of the land UNLESS that law got into the way of his followers worshipping God.

I didn't know Juveniles were put to death. I doubt all those in favor of capital punishment would agree over this issue.

I've never understood the need for capital punishment. Two wrongs don't make a right. If someone assaults me, should I have the right to beat the crap out of them as a form of punishment?

Uhhh sure. If someone starts beating your *** and you just sit there you have a major problem on your hands. Me? I'm going to find a crow bar and introduce it to his skull.

If someone steals from me, should I have the right to take whatever possessions I want from the thief?

I think you're forgetting that, while called "capital punishment", I'm not so sure that 'punishment' is the main or only point.