• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shoe is on the other foot: Prove there is not God.

AK4

Yes, no spiritual contradictions. That is why there is such unity in the Christian faith.
:sarcastic
No their problem is trying to make literal what was meant to be spiritual i.e. the Passover and baptism. These are just two of the many

Last edited:

AK4

The second definition,
a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods, indicates no religious belief at all. And can not only include those religions mentioned above, but also any individual who lacks any belief in any sort of deity.
So,
If atheism is a religion then not playing baseball is a sport.

So now then, they have a BELIEF that there is no existence of God or gods right?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The second definition,
a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods, indicates no religious belief at all. And can not only include those religions mentioned above, but also any individual who lacks any belief in any sort of deity.
So,
If atheism is a religion then not playing baseball is a sport.

So now then, they have a BELIEF that there is no existence of God or gods right?
"indicates no religious belief at all"

Is it really that hard to understand?

By your so called "logic", I have no belief in leprechauns, therefor I have a religious belief in there being no leprechauns.

AK4

Even you, a believer, is aware of the problem of corruption, or at least misunderstanding, of written text. We have no confirmation whatsoever that scripture was dictated directly from God. It is a clumsy method of communicating with man, since God already knows that man's mind is not in the correct state to receive his message in the first place. And that is exactly why Jesus told his audience they were mistaken to think they would find eternal life within the scriptures. Jesus (or more accurately, Yeshua), was a mystic, and not an orthodox believer. His source was first the direct union with God, not the scriptures.

And so, if God wanted to communicate with man he would never do it via of the written word.

Oh so you know a better way than He does? Hey and i like this "since God already knows that man's mind is not in the correct state to receive his message in the first place". Exactly and who is the one who gave man that mind in the first place? God right? So is it not hard to see that it is His purpose for man to screw up His revelation to them?

He would know how stupid this method is from the get-go.

On the contrary, for those who have eyes to see, this plan is so beautiful and masterful its beyond comprehension at times. And actually this plan involving us to think we have freewill is at the heart of it all. As Paul put it "so that they would believe the lie"

No, He would, instead, make it a point to become part of his own creation from the beginning, so that the divine essence would dwell as a living entity within every man, woman, and child, as well as every atom of the entire universe.

Isnt this what is said in Acts "in Him we move and breathe and have our being" and also in Php 2:13 "For it is God who works in you BOTH to will and to do". So basically you are making a case against what the christian doctrines have made the world think about. And their doctrines arent scriptural.

Even the space between His created entities would be filled with the divine essence. That way, not only would communication between man and God be absolutely 100% accurate 100% of the time, man would come to the realization that God can never be an object, that man and God are One, like dye is dissolved into water.

And this is how it is. Its just man and their belief in freewill is what has made most not believe this.

When that is realized, communication would be completely wordless, and, if you take a look at the way Reality actually IS, you will see that that is already the case: complete and utter Silence, and it is the Silence, not the word, which is what all mystics focus upon.

Nope. People have just replaced God with other things so it just seems God is quiet. They have replaced God with mother nature and their own conscience among many other. This is all addressed in the book of Romans.

It is not the word which contains the essence of the divine, but the silent breath that precedes it, and that breath is intimately close to you, so close, that you fail to realize its exact nature, partly due to the fact that the divine essence manifests itself in ways that are completely Ordinary. In other words, you are looking for God as an object, one that is extra-ordinary, and that is the problem.

This is not me. God is not a man. No one has seen or heard Him at anytime.

AK4

According to many Physics Models.....

Singularity
Big-Bang (beginning of expansion)
Space/Time (Time emerging from Space)
Laws as we know them.

So according to this laws came last right? I was going to refute this but as i think about it, this may be true. One of the themes of the bible is bringing order out of chaos. With what you put here, it sorta fits. So i will agree with this for now. Except this doesnt answer the question of the singularity coming to be. Randomness just doesnt sit well with me.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
So according to this laws came last right? I was going to refute this but as i think about it, this may be true. One of the themes of the bible is bringing order out of chaos. With what you put here, it sorta fits. So i will agree with this for now. Except this doesnt answer the question of the singularity coming to be. Randomness just doesnt sit well with me.

If the Singularity came before the Laws, what logical reason would you have for doubting a Singularity that does not comply with the Laws?

AK4

"indicates no religious belief at all"

Is it really that hard to understand?

By your so called "logic", I have no belief in leprechauns, therefor I have a religious belief in there being no leprechauns.
It all depends on how you would define religion doesnt it? It doesnt have to pertain to a God or gods. So we could argue this forever, but which on do you think atheism falls under hmmm....

re·li·gion

   /rɪˈlɪdʒ
thinsp.png
ən
/ Show Spelled[ri-lij-uh
thinsp.png
n] Show IPA
–noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

7. religions, Archaic. religious rites.

8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
It all depends on how you would define religion doesnt it? It doesnt have to pertain to a God or gods. So we could argue this forever, but which on do you think atheism falls under hmmm....

re·li·gion

   /rɪˈlɪdʒ
thinsp.png
ən
/ Show Spelled[ri-lij-uh
thinsp.png
n] Show IPA
–noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

7. religions, Archaic. religious rites.

8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow
None of the above.
Where would you place my lack of belief in Leprechauns?

AK4

If the Singularity came before the Laws, what logical reason would you have for doubting a Singularity that does not comply with the Laws?

I didnt say that. It is basically being argued that this singularity came to be out of nothing which is saying not even laws. Is it not what you been saying?

AK4

None of the above.
Where would you place my lack of belief in Leprechauns?
So atheism and a lack in belief in leprechauns dont fall under 1, 2 or 3? Especially 2.

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices

Come on now

Smoke

Done here.
So atheism and a lack in belief in leprechauns dont fall under 1, 2 or 3? Especially 2.

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices

Come on now
No, atheism -- at least, my atheism -- doesn't fit into any one of those.

AK4

The only way i could see getting around #2 is the word practices. Yet with that word in there it still fits atheism because you do practice your belief.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Would anyone like to join my religion of a-leprechaunism?

It is really fun, every Wednesday we participate in sports by not doing any.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Oh you are killing me. Is the bible supposed to fill in every single detail?
No, it's not "supposed" to do anything. However, if you claim that it's a source of factual knowledge that is authoritatively reliable, then it being flat-out wrong on a factual matter speaks against your claim.

What would be the fun in that for us if it did and did it in plain language?
Regardless of whether it's simply incorrect (my version) or misleadingly "fun" (your version), it doesn't work as a source of knowledge. Either it leads to incorrect conclusions because it's wrong, or it leads to incorrect conclusions because interpreting it "correctly" is impossibly difficult... either way, it still leads to incorrect conclusions, so we shouldn't rely on it.

Even so, Some scientists say the universe could be like a flat sheet with other universes or parallel universes.
Saying that space-time is not curved is not the same thing as saying that it's flat in the way that a curtain is flat.

Talk about an imagination.
Hey - it wasn't my idea. And I think that by itself takes a lot less imagination that the idea that the son of God, who is also God, had to die because a talking snake convinced a woman who was made from a man's rib to eat an apple. ;)

However, let's assume for a moment that the author didn't actually intend the passage this way. What's the "firmament" or "expanse" that they talk about in Genesis 1, then?

godnotgod

Thou art That
I dare God to face me. If he has the guts, he's welcome to show up anytime, at which time I will tell him to kneel in front of me so I can wipe my feet on his face.

If that doesn't show my certitude in the absurdity of the notion of the existence of God, I don't know what else would (except for things I could say that would be censored).

Ah, a clever one! Only God himself can say such a thing. You cannot fool me, God! Only you and I know who you really are, don't we? You clever little devil, you!:D

BTW, I did not know that you can reach your face with your feet. All that yoga, I suppose.

I just love atheists and believers both, the ultimate denyers of their own divinity, and such excellent actors, too! Alas, they are both such total and complete frauds!

Gabethewiking

Ah, a clever one! Only God himself can say such a thing. You cannot fool me, God! Only you and I know who you really are, don't we? You clever little devil, you!:D

BTW, I did not know that you can reach your face with your feet. All that yoga, I suppose.

I just love atheists and believers both, the ultimate denyers of their own divinity, and such excellent actors, too! Alas, they are both such total and complete frauds!

Yeah, living all up and high and demand Evidence for claims, frauds we are.

I am always amazed that people believe in gods without any basis for it (because their parents or culture have told them to) and yet Deny things like Dragons, which have plenty of evidence.

You never thought about that yourself, of course.