• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Abortion Be Made Illegal Based On The State You Live In?

Should Abortion Be Made Illegal Based On The State You Live In?

• Yes, it should come under State's Rights not Roe v. Wade

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
First, abortion is a "constitutional" right. However, there isn't strong basis for it.

"Abortion is not a constitutional right according to the strict text of the Constitution, but it has been justified as a constitutional right under the Fourth Amendment’s protection of privacy. In short, the constitutional right to abortion is found not in the Constitution itself, but in a loose reading of it.

This constitutional argument is often used by pro-abortionists. As former U.S. President Barack Obama once asserted, “I remain committed to protecting a woman’s right to choose and this fundamental constitutional right.”1 Obama, once a law professor, should have known that this right doesn’t actually exist ― the Supreme Court literally conjured it out of thin air."

Why You’re Told There’s a Constitutional Right to Abortion

One of the arguments against it is the right of the unborn fetus and when life begins.

Only life begats life, so it appears science backs up the Bible and that life begins at conception.

"Human Life comes into existence in just a fraction of an instant. You have a human egg and a human sperm and their sole purpose in life is to meet each other and fuse, to create a one cell human being."

When Does Life Begin | Just The Facts

"“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born jI consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet kto the nations.” Jeremiah 1:5

Thus, there is a factual case to be made for a fetus' rights.

Thus, these rights could trump the rights of the woman.

Thus, I thought what would be a good start to change.

How can the Supreme Court change this? Does it have to be at their level?

"There are three major ways in which a Supreme Court decision can be overturned.

If the decision is based on a law that Congress has passed, Congress can simply change the law. The Court sometimes has to rule on how they think laws made by Congress apply to certain cases. If Congress thinks the Court has gotten it wrong, they can change the law to make things clearer."

Finally, if anyone can clarify the issues I listed and linked to above, then please add your intelligent comments.

Also, read the poll question before voting. It is asking to make it a state's rights issue in lieu of Fourth Amendment rights.

Voted yes only because of less Federal government intrusion.

Like neutering, spaying your pets. Uncontrolled populations become a problem for everyone. Currently it is "immoral" to legislate mandatory infertility and can't depend on folks to act responsibly when it comes to procreation so allowing abortion is the next best thing, practically speaking.

However I'd prefer the moral decision to remain at the state level.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
To see conduct as sinful or irresponsible isn't cause to deny
constitutional rights.
Sinful? :rolleyes:
But one needn't be acting irresponsibly to be expected to take responsibility for the outcome. Put your car in gear and you have accepted responsibility for certain possible outcomes even if you're being as careful as you can be. Similarly, choosing potentially fertile sex comes with the responsibility to another human being, should one get involved. Especially since it was completely involuntary on the child's part.
Tom

epronovost

Sinful? :rolleyes:
But one needn't be acting irresponsibly to be expected to take responsibility for the outcome. Put your car in gear and you have accepted responsibility for certain possible outcomes even if you're being as careful as you can be. Similarly, choosing potentially fertile sex comes with the responsibility to another human being, should one get involved. Especially since it was completely involuntary on the child's part.
Tom

That doesn't follow no. If you play hockey and get a concussion you exposed yourself to that risk, but you can totally claim medical treatment even if your injury was caused by your own imprudence. The same goes for sex. There are risks to sexual relationships that doesn't mean that when you fall prey to one of those risks that you shouldn't be allowed to seek treatment for it. Pregnancies aren't punishment either. They are medical conditions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Note that I said "sinful or irresponsible".
The problem with your argument is based upon your
personal values rather than the Constitution, which
governs law in the states.
It's OK to have the feelings you have, but you need
a legal basis if you want to impose them upon others.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Furthermore, your placing the support burden on the father is
a violation of the 14th Amendment (equal protection clause).
You're the feminist dude. I'm an egalitarian.
Biology dictates which individual does the gestating. So, expecting the other to step up with, at the very least, cash support strikes me as the fairest way to divide the responsibility.
Tom

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
First, abortion...
This may be of use:

Abortion and You (There is Hope, Healing & Forgiveness) – Vance Ferrell (PDF) - http://sdamaranathachurch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/SDA-Vance-Ferrell-Abortion-And-You.pdf

Abortion: Seventh-day Adventist and Pioneers and Reformer positions, vs Roman Catholicism statements and practices (PDF) - http://sdamaranathachurch.org/wp-co.../Abortion-and-Roman-Catholicism-and-SDA-1.pdf

More info on Health may be found here - http://sdamaranathachurch.org/resources/healing-health-diet-more

More info on this subject may be found here - Library of Resources: - SDA Maranatha Multicultural Church in American Samoa

Iymus

Others:

Make the female more accountable to her womb

Sterilization of Men and Women that seek to have intimacy with each other outside of Marriage.

Have tax payers directly foot the bill for abortions.

All of the Above

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're the feminist dude.
I have high volume angry certification from staff that I'm not.
I'm an egalitarian.
Biology dictates which individual does the gestating. So, expecting the other to step up with, at the very least, cash support strikes me as the fairest way to divide the responsibility.
Tom
That's just your personal preference.
It's not based in constitutional law.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The same goes for sex. There are risks to sexual relationships that doesn't mean that when you fall prey to one of those risks that you shouldn't be allowed to seek treatment for it.
Here's the difference.
The baby wasn't in the game. Of course people should get treatment for injuries. That's not the same as having the right to off someone because caring for them, in the position you chose to put them in, is inconvenient.

Pregnancies aren't punishment either. They are medical conditions.
I agree.
It's usually the knee jerk baby killers who refer to pregnancy as a punishment.
Tom

epronovost

Here's the difference.
The baby wasn't in the game. Of course people should get treatment for injuries. That's not the same as having the right to off someone because caring for them, in the position you chose to put them in, is inconvenient.
Tom

There is no baby involved in pregnancy either though there is one in childbirth.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Even if it violates the federal Constitution?
Or do you say the Constitution's application
to abortion doesn't rule the states?

34th? Amendment.

How would you feel about making procreation a privilege instead of a right?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's usually the knee jerk baby killers who refer to pregnancy as a punishment.
I'll wager that you're OK with "baby killing" in some cases.
Pick 1 or 2....
- Rape
- Incest
- Young adolescent
- Medical risk to the mother

Last edited:

epronovost

This is one of the weakest and most transparent of the assorted rationalizations for giving some human beings the right to destroy other human beings.
Tom

And yours is one of the most transparent rationalisation to enslave and torture humans...

It's either that or you are basically raising a huge strawman and so did I.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'll wager that you're OK with "baby killing" in some cases.
Pick 1 or 2....
- Rape
- Incest
- Young adolescent
- Medical risk to the mother
Yes I am.
We've talked about this before. I see a huge difference between rescuing a mother from a doomed pregnancy and offing a baby because the parents felt entitled to potentially fertile sex.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes I am.
We've talked about this before. I see a huge difference between rescuing a mother from a doomed pregnancy and offing a baby because the parents felt entitled to potentially fertile sex.
Tom
So the baby's right to life is conditional upon the parents' behavior?

epronovost

Enslave and torture?
I can't really take you to seriously.
Seriously.
Tom

Well, if you aren't willing to believe that childbirth is an excrutiatingly painful experience (which it is) then I can't help you. Making someone suffer against their will is what we call torture.

Then again note that I think calling forced birth torture is a bit of a false comparison in my opinion just like calling a zygote, embryo or fetus a baby is also a false comparison.

Last edited: