• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should committed same-sex relationships be recognized by the government?

Should committed same-sex relationships be recognized by the government?

• Yes, with full-fledged marriage equal in all ways to heterosexual marriage

Votes: 88 69.8%
  • Yes, with a "civil union" that gives some legal benefits, but not as many as marriage

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • No official or legal recognition

Votes: 23 18.3%
  • I don't know/other

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Fluffy

A fool
Fluffy...and that is the problem. There does not have to be any other reason. It doesn't matter whether I think it's "fair" or "right" but rather what God tells us. I will never put anyone before God...and that is the bottom line.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it has been done for a large portion of the rest of the morals found in the bible." The moral laws for Christians are still imperatives and we are bound by them.
My reasoning behind saying there HAS to be a reason is because God must have had a reason to declare that it is immoral. If he did not have a reason then why should anybody follow the random rulings of God? If I were to ask a question, to a Christian, about why they think the death penalty is wrong, sure they would quote some scripture but they would also bring in other arguments based on reason such as the golden rule, which is not an exclusively Christian idea etc. The problem is that no Christian has ever done the same, in my personal experience, when it comes to any question on the morality of homosexuality - thye JUST rely on scripture. It just seems strange that if the reasoning behind one moral can be understood, why is it that we cannot grasp the reasoning behind another? Surely it is imperative that we work out exactly why homosexuality is a sin so that we can understand WHY?

Melody

Mr_Spinkles said:
Could you answer the questions I posed earlier? What about tax-exempt status for Mosques and synagogues--would you take that away, too?
I've never understood how churches are tax exempt....and yes I would take that away.

Melody

Ceridwen018 said:
Could you support gay marriage as a social issue, if not a religious one?
Ceridwen,
If I remove my faith restrictions, I have no problem with a lot of things. Before I became a believer, I believed in "live and let live". I've just not reconciled how I can do that and still be true to my beliefs. It's not a comfortable position and it's one which I'm always questioning so who knows where I'll be in a few months or a year.

Melody

lady_lazarus said:
If you could not support it, would it go against your conscience to abstain from voting on the subject? I'm not having a go, just interested if that is something that would work for you.
That is something that I've been thinking and praying about most recently. Let's just say I'm not ruling it out at this point.

My faith says homosexuality is wrong. I've never agreed *but* I have to live according to my faith. There are a number of things I have a problem with in my faith, but I don't think you can pick and choose or else you're just creating your own religion. I have a very serious problem with the "submission to husband" thing. Oh heck, who am I kidding....I have a problem with submission to anything. I keep thinking there's a loophole and if I pray long and hard enough I'll find it. :D

I've never felt I had to force my faith on anyone else. *If* I vote, I would have to set aside *my* beliefs and vote according to God's laws because it doesn't matter what *I* want. Do I *have* to vote or is abstaining a cop-out? I'm working on it.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I know one thing. If my Gods decided that something was wrong, with absolutely no reasoning for it, I'd be disobeying my Gods. I suppose I might be punished, but my Gods are allowed to make mistakes, because they aren't omnipotent.

Melody, is this not also akin to being a "blind follower"? Do you not have to objectively look at what is given to you, and choose what it seems is right, deep in your heart? I'm sure God would not choose something merely for the sake of having some people suffer, so why do you follow this reasoning?

It is a serious and dangerous presumption, and argues an absurd temerity, to condemn that which we do not believe, or to follow fully that which we do.

Melody

Druidus said:
Melody, is this not also akin to being a "blind follower"? Do you not have to objectively look at what is given to you, and choose what it seems is right, deep in your heart? I'm sure God would not choose something merely for the sake of having some people suffer, so why do you follow this reasoning?
Blindly following implies that I accept without question. That's not the case. I am always questioning. I believe God has given us free will and we can choose what we want to, or we can choose what He requires of us. "Deep down in my heart" is the need I have for "fair" play. I'm not sure if that necessarily aligns with God's commandments. Not that He's unfair...just that there's a reason for his rule that I may not be able to see.

I equate it to the rules I make for my children. They may not understand *why* the rule is there, and many times have accused me of not being reasonable or unfair because they didn't see the big picture, but just have to have faith that there is a reason for them and that I have their best interests at heart.

hoomer

Henry said:
I personally am opposed to homosexual unions, and unlike some people, see recognizing homosexual unions as regressive, not progressive. I am a christian, and I believe 100% in the word of God. The Bible is very clear in stating homosexuality as a sin.
Some might say that I'm "homophobic", but the truth is, I'm pro-family.
YES henry yu're homphobic..there are less than 5 biblical pasages that can be sited as against homosexuaity ie INTERPRETED as passages of HATE.....

Sadly what David was Bi Sexual..God isnt a bigot

chris9178

lady lazarus:
Yes, and legally it's a secular institution.For a goverment to have put forward amendments regarding something for which the only real arguments against seem to have some sort of a religious basis was muddying the waters of seperation.

The arguement wasn't whether marriage was secular, it was whether it's a civil right.... which it isn't. Civil rights are protected in the constitution. Marriage isn't, or else we wouldn't be having this debate in the country.

Actually, I'm far from narrow minded, and while I freely admit that there are areas in which I am ignorant, this is not one of them. This may sound condescending - if so I apologise, because I don't mean it to - but you haven't been around here for a long time, and there have been some very nasty things said...more than enough to suggest that people have some serious problems with homosexuals. I was in no way suggesting that you thought they were evil, but I can assure you, to assume that no-one else feels they are is the height of ignorance.
Well then we agree. Their are a lot of people out there that hate homosexuals, but to base it solely on Christian scripture is completely wrong. The scriptures say to love everybody. They're grossly misguided.
As far as voting goes they should leave their predjudice behind. But you have to remember the Christians point of view. To most Christians marriage is an institution created by God, not government. Government has only adopted it. I can certainly understand why a Christian wouldn't want that institution perverted by man. It can be seen as offensive to their religion.
Now, those married Christians that go and preach against gay-marriage while they're in the middle of a divorce then they can certainly be seen as hypocritical. If marriage is sacred, then it's sacred. Don't argue against gay-marriage and and support divorce at the same time, if you believe in the sacred marriage of God.
That would be an interesting test to give a Christian to see what they really believe.

Having said that, I would never equate the feelings I have for my husband to the desire I have to own such a horse. What I took exception to was the idea that falling in love with someone is something that you can weigh up the pros and cons on and then proceed with due care. It is not the way most normal people conduct a relationship. Generally by the time you need to consider whether loving that person is a good idea you're already there.
By the way, I wasn't defending anyone by passing the buck, I was merely trying to explain to you - who clearly either has a strange idea (or none at all) of how the human heart works - that where the heart leads, people will follow.Lack of foresight doesn't come into it. Personally, I think it's a huge lack of foresight to be bossom buddies with a bloke who will sell you up the river to the authorities so they can nail you to a tree. Many would disagree with me, I'm sure. Let us leave logic out of love,then, shall we?
Then you're just reading too far into what I'm saying. I only argue that it's irresponsible to blame the government. It sucks, yes, but it's not the governments fault.

Melody:
I equate it to the rules I make for my children. They may not understand *why* the rule is there, and many times have accused me of not being reasonable or unfair because they didn't see the big picture, but just have to have faith that there is a reason for them and that I have their best interests at heart.
Excellent point. I'm curious, Melody, how you would answer to the question posed above. You seem pretty genuine in your faith, but do you uphold every aspect of sacred marriage? Namely, do you condem divorce outside of adultery?

chris9178

I have one more observation.

Is murder wrong because of popular belief, or because of common morals?
For an atheist how would you argue that it is common morals? Where did they come from? If you can't answer that, then it can only be based on popular belief.

For a theist, you may believe that your deity gave you your morals, and told you that killing is wrong.

Basically it boils down to this:

Either our morals come from a belief, and therefore our beliefs can, and maybe should, be used when voting.

Or, our morals come from popular belief, and must be voted on.

Now this is philosophical stuff, but completely logical to me at the moment. Relates well to the subject also.

chris9178

By the way, I'm not saying that's completely truth. Just something that just jumped in my head, and expect others here to logically correct me.

Melody

chris9178 said:
Excellent point. I'm curious, Melody, how you would answer to the question posed above. You seem pretty genuine in your faith, but do you uphold every aspect of sacred marriage? Namely, do you condem divorce outside of adultery?
I have to admit not being as knowledgeable about restrictions on divorce, but there are other reasons divorce is permitted (not this thread though) but yes, as a Christian I am bound by these laws as well. Notice I didn't say I had to live with the person...just that I am still married.

A

angellous_evangellous

You are solving problems that would cross a rabbi's eyes

Melody

hoomer said:
YES henry yu're homphobic..there are less than 5 biblical pasages that can be sited as against homosexuaity ie INTERPRETED as passages of HATE.....

Sadly what David was Bi Sexual..God isnt a bigot...christians are
"I am distressed for you, my brother Jonathan; very pleasant have you been to me; your love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women." (2 Samuel 1:26)

This is the verse most quoted by people who believe David and Jonathan were lovers. Just because we live in a homophobic world where people think "real" men only shake hands and heaven forbid the word "love" passes their lips when speaking of their male friends, doesn't mean that was true in David's time. There are many types of love and the Greeks had a word for each of them. In an era when women were 2nd class citizens, it is not hard to understand that men would have a love for each other that "surpasses" the love they had for women. Women were just fleeting moments in their lives while their male counterparts had a major influence in their life.

I am not homosexual or bisexual, but the love I have for my female friends is "passing the love of men" because we can identify with each other and understand each other in a way that men will never understand. It is not a sexual love at all.

It doesn't matter whether the bible states once or 500 times that something is forbidden...it is forbidden. I do think that the amount of time focused on this particular sin is somewhat out of balance with all the other sins. For example, lying is very offensive in God's eyes (numerous biblical verses) and yet christians don't look at it with the same horror as they do homosexuality. I find that hypocritical.

Melody

angellous_evangellous said:
You are solving problems that would cross a rabbi's eyes
Solving? I wish. All I'm doing is creating even more questions for myself.

Fluffy

A fool
I have one more observation.

For an atheist how would you argue that it is common morals? Where did they come from? If you can't answer that, then it can only be based on popular belief.

For a theist, you may believe that your deity gave you your morals, and told you that killing is wrong.

Basically it boils down to this:

Either our morals come from a belief, and therefore our beliefs can, and maybe should, be used when voting.

Now this is philosophical stuff, but completely logical to me at the moment. Relates well to the subject also.
This theory does not explain why all people who do not have a religion do not follow the popular belief. For example, vegetarians are a minority and so are going against the popular belief yet many of them are atheists and so must be basing their beliefs on something other than faith or going with the crowd. I can come up with many arguments against murder which do not have their roots in religion and have nothing to do with the fact that a lot of people also share this belief.

Sadly what David was Bi Sexual..God isnt a bigot
He did not demonstrate homophobia in his post. You can think homosexuality is wrong and not be homophobic. Homophobia is the irrational fear of homosexuality and the people who practice it which can lead to hatred or violence towards either. This is entirely different to disagreeing with homosexuality for some other reason than having an irrational fear of it.

It doesn't matter whether the bible states once or 500 times that something is forbidden...it is forbidden. I do think that the amount of time focused on this particular sin is somewhat out of balance with all the other sins. For example, lying is very offensive in God's eyes (numerous biblical verses) and yet christians don't look at it with the same horror as they do homosexuality. I find that hypocritical.
Melody, sorry for my replies to some of your posts. This is a topic I feel very strongly on and I shouldn't have answered in such a heated way. Apologies aside, I can totally identify with the way you describe having difficulties with some of your beliefs but not wanting to pick and choose since when I recognised myself as a Christian, I had the same sort of problems. There have been many attempts to show that the passages of the Bible which condemn Christianity are either misinterpreted or added in by some unscrupolous translators. The best one I have been able to find on the internet is at http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibl.htm which has detailed articles on each of the passages in question which I found to be much help with my own situation. They stress that they try and approach every topic from a completely unbiased and objective viewpoint however their findings in this area are very conclusive and, me being me, I just want to believe what they have to say but it might be useful to other people who have problems with this area of Christianity as well.

Melody

Fluffy said:
Melody, sorry for my replies to some of your posts. This is a topic I feel very strongly on and I shouldn't have answered in such a heated way.
No apologies necessary. You must have been containing yourself pretty well because I didn't know you were answering in a heated way. :D

I understand people answering passionately. I draw the line at rude and nasty. You were neither.

Thanks for the link btw. I'll take a look at it later.

Pah

Uber all member
Fluffy said:
He [Henry]did not demonstrate homophobia in his post. You can think homosexuality is wrong and not be homophobic. Homophobia is the irrational fear of homosexuality and the people who practice it which can lead to hatred or violence towards either. This is entirely different to disagreeing with homosexuality for some other reason than having an irrational fear of it.
Homophobia is also a irrational dislike of homosexuality in today's common usage.

So much of what comes out of the Bible is irrational.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Main Entry: ho·mo·pho·bia
Pronunciation: "hO-m&-'fO-bE-&
Function: noun
: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals
So yes, homophobia could be taken to mean an irrational dislike (aversion/discrimination imply that you dislike something).

Ceridwen018

chris said:
Popular belief IS common morals.

Murdering people is detrimental to the survival and success of a community. That is how the moral of "thou shalt not kill" arose.

It's really not that difficult of a dilemma. The only thing keeping gays from marrying this instant are those people who vote against it due to their faith in some god or another, which is completely unconstitutional. We have a separation of church and state, and there is no case that the state can present against gay marriage.

Fluffy said:
My reasoning behind saying there HAS to be a reason is because God must have had a reason to declare that it is immoral. If he did not have a reason then why should anybody follow the random rulings of God?
Why do we indeed? Maybe we shouldn't...

Surely it is imperative that we work out exactly why homosexuality is a sin so that we can understand WHY?
Whether or not homosexuality is a 'sin' is a moot point. This is a social issue, and therefore it is unconstitutional to follow the rules of some church or another when making the decision.