• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Denmark Ban Qur'an Burning?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Italy doesn't have unlimited freedom of speech. You won't be able to just say anything with impunity, and definitely I'm finding where Italian journalists are wanting more protections and that there are even hate speech laws on the record.
As for politics, I can say whatever I like.

Give me an example of people prevented from expressing political ideas.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As for politics, I can say whatever I like.

Give me an example of people prevented from expressing political ideas.

Holocaust denial may be seen as a political idea.

Italy​

The Italian parliament, extending an anti-racism law from 1975, approved Law 16 June 2016 n. 115, criminalizing the spreading of Holocaust denial and making conviction for the crime subject to imprisonment for two to six years​

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's highly dependent on the interpretations thereof. There are many Muslims who believe in the Qur'an and also support democracy, LGBT rights, pluralism, the rule of law, and other values that you and I consider essential for a society.
The fact that the Koran can also be read to inspire peaceful
beliefs doesn't eliminate its also being read to foment intolerance,
violence, & oppression.
Like every other large group, Muslims are a diverse bunch, but they share belief in the Qur'an. I see little point in an act that insults all of them, including the moderate and secular ones, just to spite the extremists.
You defend the Koran because not all believers are wicked.
Would you defend other beliefs using the same reason,
eg, white supremacists, MAGAs, Proud Boys, Republicans?
I don't see where I said anything that disagrees with this. My opposition to a "blasphemy day" is based on what I see as concerns about utility, tolerance, and ethics. I've already said that I'm against blasphemy laws and violence that targets perceived blasphemers.
We blasphemers shouldn't have to hide, lest we rile up believers.
If gay pride is OK, than blasphemer pride is too.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Denmark took a sound course of action in (re)defining the public burning of religious scripture as hate-speech (already illegal).

Had it remained legal to burn qurans outside of mosques, it would have been hard for them to argue against the public burning of Torahs outside of synagogues -and strangely, the problem with the latter was easy for them to comprehend.

Humbly,
Hermit

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Denmark took a sound course of action in (re)defining the public burning of religious scripture as hate-speech (already illegal).

Had it remained legal to burn qurans outside of mosques, it would have been hard for them to argue against the public burning of Torahs outside of synagogues -and strangely, the problem with the latter was easy for them to comprehend.

Humbly,
Hermit
Burn Bibles, Torahs, & Korans all together in a rainbow themed fire.
I stand for the right to express hatred, in both actual & symbolic speech.
Let the offended snowflakes toughen up. This is better than giving
government even more power to limit speech.
After all, their scriptures aren't so polite towards atheists, blasphemers,
reprobates, gays, money changers, etc.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Books are easily replaced. No one is going to burn them all.

Also, if people stop getting all bent out of shape when someone burns their favorite book, I guarantee the book burners will soon stop burning them. Because it's the angry response they want, not the book fire. This is just elementary human nature, and for the religious, it ought to be common knowledge, and an innate response.

I would ask the angry Muslims why they keep rising to the bait, and tereby feeding the fire? Grow up and ignore those idiots burning the books and they will have to either escalate to something illegal, and be truly stopped, or they will just fade away. Either way, you win.

JIMMY12345

Denmark is considering making it illegal to burn the Qur'an and other religious Scriptures.

This is being done in response to a far-right Danish and Swedish activist named Rasmus Paludan who has been going around burning copies of the Qur'an in recent months to criticize Islam and Muslim immigration. This has led to outrage from the Islamic world, including the storming of the Danish and Swedish embassies in Iraq and public condemnations from the leaders of Muslim countries for permitting the sacrilegious acts. This backlash also has implications for Sweden's application to join NATO, which can still be prevented by Turkey.

Denmark insists this is a limited restriction and only applies to destruction or degradation of, "objects of religious importance," such as, "burning, soiling, stomping on or kicking the object, or destroying the object by tearing it, cutting it or similar." It would not apply to, "verbal or written statements or drawings regarding religious objects and religious subjects. The same applies to other forms of expression that do not entail physically treating the object in an improper manner."

While I appreciate this is a tough spot for Denmark internationally, I will always lean in favor of more free speech, not less. I don't want to see anyone burn books, but I also don't want to give government any more power to limit freedom of expression, including expression that is deeply unpopular.

What do you think?
Well, since the thread is about a law proposal in Denmark and not about the US, I won't be able to address the above tangent here.
Yes it should not allow burning of any religious texts of any religion. We must be tolerant and respectful of all religions.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Books are easily replaced. No one is going to burn them all.

Also, if people stop getting all bent out of shape when someone burns their favorite book, I guarantee the book burners will soon stop burning them. Because it's the angry response they want, not the book fire. This is just elementary human nature, and for the religious, it ought to be common knowledge, and an innate response.

I would ask the angry Muslims why they keep rising to the bait, and tereby feeding the fire? Grow up and ignore those idiots burning the books and they will have to either escalate to something illegal, and be truly stopped, or they will just fade away. Either way, you win.
The debate is too politicized, and so religious groups are victims of the propaganda and are fueled by supposedly secular countries.
Like Turkey.
Turkey is not secular any more. Or not in the European sense.

PureX

Veteran Member
The debate is too politicized, and so religious groups are victims of the propaganda and are fueled by supposedly secular countries.
Like Turkey.
Turkey is not secular any more. Or not in the European sense.
No one is a victim of propaganda that doesn't want to be. If the people of Turkey aren't willing to rid themselves of their religious oppressors, then I guess they must want them. Or they are too weak, foolish, and frightened to fight for their own freedom.

Every country in the world is facing this same ongoing problem. Corporate fascism, religious fascism, criminal gangs and totalitarian dictators: it's all the same criminal 'alpha' (males) and their determined desire to control and exploit everything and everyone around them. They exist in every society of humans and they are always waiting and working for their chance to rise up and commit mayhem. And the rest of us have to face the difficult truth of this, both within our own natures and within our societies as a whole. Because if we do not stop this festering desire for absolute control before it gains a foothold, it will eventually find it's way to the levers of power, and cause us all and everyone we care about to suffer greatly, and even cause our deaths.