• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Everyone have a Right to Freedom of Speech?

ZooGirl02

I agree with you, but I see greater harm when government can decide what what
is hate speech, & then enforce it severely. Political discourse becomes riskier.

Yeah I can definitely see your point. And besides, there is always the chance that they could outlaw some religious speech if they thought it was hate speech. But the fact is, most religious speech is not hate speech.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Yeah I can definitely see your point. And besides, there is always the chance that they could outlaw some religious speech if they thought it was hate speech. But the fact is, most religious speech is not hate speech.

Not just religious speech, but any speech. Suppose the government determined that hate speech was any sort of speech that implied hatred and was to be outlawed? Even things as simple as saying "I hate you"?

It's a slope that's too slippery IMO. Feelings should not determine the rules.

ZooGirl02

Not just religious speech, but any speech. Suppose the government determined that hate speech was any sort of speech that implied hatred and was to be outlawed? Even things as simple as saying "I hate you"?

It's a slope that's too slippery IMO. Feelings should not determine the rules.

Yeah, you are right. They could determine just about any kind of speech to be hate speech and outlaw it if they want.

Thanks for explaining your position. I agree with it.

As it stands there are already laws on the books that prohibit certain speech - for instance the classic example of yelling "fire" in a theatre. But there are also other examples, such as libel, incitement to riots, or copyright infringement. For instance, if I go around saying that so-and-so is a murderer, then I can be held liable in a court of law for doing this.

Clearly, nothing in the Constitution tells us we must allow people to hijack our public spaces to spread their toxic falsehoods. Also, nothing in the constitution says that private individuals are required to give them a place to speak. For instance a private university may regulate what kind of speech is to happen on their campus.

The facts is freedom of speech/expression is not and has never been absolute.

My thinking is that if speaking or writing falsehoods that are damaging to another person’s reputation is illegal, then hate speech, which is essentially a blanket defamation of certain minorities constitutes defamation a million times over. If for instance I say that "Mr. Smith is a crook" and it's not true that would be one act of defamation, one act of telling an untruth that could harm a person's career or life. If I say though that "Minorities have a criminal disposition" I am not just defaming one person, but millions of law-abiding citizens. This kind of speech is exactly the same kind of painting with a broad brush that has been used time and again to incite lynchings, porgroms and genocide and in my mind is harmful and deserves to be punished just as much as the equivalent kind of speech about individuals. And perhaps more, given the wide social harm it can potentially cause.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Do you think everyone should get a right to free speech or just people who are of the same opinion as you? Why not if not everyone?

If everyone (sometimes people consider these people not part of the everyone these days for some reason): Does this include homophones and racists and such? If not, why not?
Everyone DOES have a right to freedom of speech, regardless. If it doesn't work that way, it doesn't work at all

To believe in human rights is to believe in something inherent of the person.

Some people mistake legal documentation for rights, the same way some people mistake religious scripture for god. I think that's unhelpful. Legal bills of rights apply to government and only serve to guarantee that rights will be respected by that government.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Yes I believe everyone should have the right to free speech as long as they allow opposing speech and as long as it is not forced on people.

What I mean is if I am in a public space and some one starts addressing the public they have to give me the right to challenge vocally without abuse in any form as long as I am not abusing.

I also mean that if I am in a public space I have the right to ask them to stop talking and take it private if I find it offensive to me.

This is what freedom of speech to me. You can speak your mind but you have to allow others the same freedom in a public space and cannot offend them in a public space. In private say and do what ever you want.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
People can say WHATEVER they like, however, at the same time, they must understand that there may well be consequences for uttering some things. Choose your words wisely.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
People can say WHATEVER they like, however, at the same time, they must understand that there may well be consequences for uttering some things. Choose your words wisely.

^

Expect what you say is going to affect you not just others.And there can be negative affects/consequences.