• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should faith without an authority be banned?

gnostic

The Lost One
Ozzie said:
Should faith without an authority be banned?

Is faith without an authority feasible ( atheism is included here in "faith")?
No.

Faith don't need authority to be believed, particularly on spiritual matters.

But I must say that faith should be definitely banned from having any political or military authority.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Is faith without an authority feasible ( atheism is included here in "faith")?

Firstly, Atheism is not a faith.(most atheists here on the forum react rather badly to it being referred to as a faith).

Why shouldn't faith be valid without "authority"?........I am, I would say, a spiritual person; my faith is my own construct (even though much of it runs parallel with tennets of Christianity).............eek, perhaps I am the authority of my faith!:eek:

Secondly why on earth should it be banned?

Ozzie

Usually, it's reason and science. But not always. As for what person is an authority for atheism, I'd say the individual him or herself.
Correct. You cannot entertain the possibility of God, then discount it, without authority. Hence atheism is belief predicated on authority. And it is faith to hold the position against the possibility of contrary evidence.

Ozzie

Firstly, Atheism is not a faith.(most atheists here on the forum react rather badly to it being referred to as a faith).

Why shouldn't faith be valid without "authority"?........I am, I would say, a spiritual person; my faith is my own construct (even though much of it runs parallel with tennets of Christianity).............eek, perhaps I am the authority of my faith!:eek:

Secondly why on earth should it be banned?
So is your personal belief not based on authority? If you could claim that, and I do not think you can, would it be tenable? Such faith would be wholly personal, not shared to any extent and reduced to a product of your psychology, or perhaps whistful imagination.

Ozzie

Would you please rephrase the question?
No. I think atheism is a belief/faith in the generic sense of all human creations. I don't see why thinking atheism is a faith is a prejudicial position to take.