• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should freedom of religion grow in the many countries of the world?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This sort of question is less than useful without some elaboration of what is meant.

My own take is that sure, freedom of religion is a good thing... but it is not and should not be a refuge from basic responsibility for our actions and omissions.

Which ultimately means that law should give no recognition to any concept of religion whatsoever, and laicism is the only reasonable relationship between governments and creeds.

It also means that ultimately freedom of religion can't exist without also including freedom from (whatever is considered by someone to be a) religion.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
There are many freedoms that should grow...the freedom to practice whatever religion one chooses or the freedom of choice not to practice any religion at all...the freedom to speak openly about one's political views...essentially the freedom to make practically any life choice that doesn't impact the lives of others.

Brian2

Veteran Member

It would be great if it was free.
It is not free in communist countries, in Islamic countries, in Hindu countries and in democratic countries where people get offended by the teachings of religion when they are contrary to the laws of the land.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It would be great if it was free.
It is not free (...) in Hindu countries and in democratic countries where people get offended by the teachings of religion when they are contrary to the laws of the land.
How is it not free in those two situations?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
It is not free in...democratic countries where people get offended by the teachings of religion when they are contrary to the laws of the land.
And this is a result of teaching those that don't wish to be taught.

I think you might have freedom of religion confused with freedom to proselytize.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
When religion is not free, people just pretend.
Yup. It turns everyone into liars and also encourages a hidden criminal culture. What is an unbeliever to do if they have to act like a believer? It won't convert them. You'll also have people who think they are religious but who are very unregenerate, have bad character and do evil in the name of religion. It makes every day worse.

Brian2

Veteran Member
And this is a result of teaching those that don't wish to be taught.

I think you might have freedom of religion confused with freedom to proselytize.

It's the result of people not wanting the teachings of religion taught if people are offended by them.
There is meant to be no proselytizing on this forum. It is probably a hard one to pin down precisely. In a free society spreading your religion should not be punishable or prohibited.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
It's the result of people not wanting the teachings of religion taught if people are offended by them.
Why would people be offended for any reason other than forcing something upon them that they don't want?

There is meant to be no proselytizing on this forum. It is probably a hard one to pin down precisely. In a free society spreading your religion should not be punishable or prohibited.
Why do you feel it's acceptable to force your religion upon another?

Would you find my forcing my vegetarian views on you to be acceptable? Why or why not?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not if it is not harmful, you mean.

Viker

Häxan
What if there were Aztec revivalists (there are and they no longer advocate sacrifice) who advocated human sacrifice as practicing their religion, should we allow them that? Because they would be practicing their religion. Why not?

What you're confusing for any lack of freedom is actually restricting one group from imposing it's religion on another unwilling person or persons. If a religion believes in imposing on others is a necessary practice, they should reexamine that before mingling with others.

I don't object to basic public proselytizing. It's not against any law in the US. We have evangelists, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons all freely proselytizing everywhere all over. None of them are permitted to impose their views or practices on others. Any state endorsement or establishment of religion is prohibited. That's not against freedom of religion, it's freedom of religion in action.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Why would people be offended for any reason other than forcing something upon them that they don't want?

Is it the forcing that they don't want or the particular teaching that they don't want? and how is it forced onto people?

Why do you feel it's acceptable to force your religion upon another?

How can I force my religion onto anyone?

Would you find my forcing my vegetarian views on you to be acceptable? Why or why not?

Oh how offensive, you mentioned vegetarianism and forced me to read it.

Brian2

Veteran Member
What if there were Aztec revivalists (there are and they no longer advocate sacrifice) who advocated human sacrifice as practicing their religion, should we allow them that? Because they would be practicing their religion. Why not?

What you're confusing for any lack of freedom is actually restricting one group from imposing it's religion on another unwilling person or persons. If a religion believes in imposing on others is a necessary practice, they should reexamine that before mingling with others.

I don't object to basic public proselytizing. It's not against any law in the US. We have evangelists, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons all freely proselytizing everywhere all over. None of them are permitted to impose their views or practices on others. Any state endorsement or establishment of religion is prohibited. That's not against freedom of religion, it's freedom of religion in action.

Aztec revivalists can spread their religion if it is not harming anyone. I'm not sure how people impose their religion onto another unwilling person. That sounds like more than proselytising and different.
I'm talking about speaking about your religion and stopping if they don't want to hear about it.
Is that proselytising?

Whether teachings are doing harm can be a matter of opinion imo but a line needs to be drawn sometimes and no doubt there will be times when the line is an abuse of freedom of religion, and at times there will be no line drawn when there needs to be one.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it the forcing that they don't want or the particular teaching that they don't want?
It could be argued that the want neither.

and how is it forced onto people?
By "teaching" it in a time or venue that said people didn't intend on receiving it.

How can I force my religion onto anyone?
By proselytizing and preaching. I thought we were clear on this.

Oh how offensive, you mentioned vegetarianism and forced me to read it.
Good. You've shown you can deflect. Now answer the question.