• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should pot be legalized?

meogi

It needs to be legalized (federally). My aunt is going through Chemo right now, and legal marijuana would be a benefit for her. (Note: She is no stranger to the use of marijuana, none of my family is. Although no one of the 30+ age bracket use it anymore, they do know the benefitial effects it has for pain/nausea. It is just too expensive, and too risky for her to be taking it though.) There have been no long term effects. None. Hell, here's a quote from the drug abuse website ( http://www.drugabuse.gov )
Q: What are the long-term effects of marijuana?
A: While all of the long-term effects of marijuana use are not yet known, there are studies showing serious health concerns. For example, a group of scientists in California examined the health status of 450 daily smokers of marijuana but not tobacco. They found that the marijuana smokers had more sick days and more doctor visits for respiratory problems and other types of illness than did a similar group who did not smoke either substance (13).
No long term effects. And heavy smokers (of anything) having repiratory problems!? Whoa now... and sick days? I don't know how deep their research went, but being stoned is not a good reason to tell your boss your not comming into work. (I know skipping work is a bad thing... but what do you think you're gonna tell your boss?)

Not to mention the FDA's own medical marijuana test. It was shut down by Bush Sr. in his re-election campaign saying, "This scourge must STOP". But the people enrolled on it still receive their marijuana... there were 20 or so (terminally ill patients) in the beginning (started in mid 80's, so it didn't have a long run, and was very secretive). 20 years later, 5 of them are left... I think 2 of them died in the last few years. They can smoke anywhere they want (there's pictures of one of them smoking in front of the white house/capital building). I'll quote him: "20 years now I've been getting medical marijuana from the federal government.... and they still don't wanna know how well it works."

Alaska is voting on this matter today as well: ( http://www.adn.com/front/story/5710310p-5643251c.html )
We'll see if they can get things started in the right direction...