• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the Bible be outlawed

Former Minister

Suppose for one minute that the Bible has never been seen or heard of by a living being. One day the Bible appears in print and published as the truth by the author. How many people do you think would believe anything in it? It's only because of the belief of past generations who have passed this story on to us that some people believe it to be a true story. The Bible would be disregarded as trash if published today. Very few people would take it seriously because there is no proof to back up anything in it. It's the most disgusting, unbelievable and evil book ever published. It would be put on a shelf where children could not see it. I agree that it will never be outlawed but it should be.

Kurgan

I do not think that any book should be outlawed. You do make an interesting point. I think we would all get along a lot better if the old testament was declared a good Jewish history book. The new testemant could be titled; "The Poor Mans Guide Through the Dark Ages". The Bible is not really a bad book it is what people read into it that causes all of the disturbance.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
No, it is an exceptionally stupid suggestion. In a civilized society we don’t ban books because we don’t like them. And regardless of what I happen to think of the bible I don’t think we should outlaw it.

I do however think we should be allowed to slap anyone who suggest banning books (any book) across the back of the head. But unfortunately this is neither legal or practical, so...
I agree that it will never be outlawed but it should be.
:slap:

I am opposed to banning/burning books. Any books. With the possible exception of anything by Pat Robertson. Or John Hagee.

I concur but I would add Michael Moore to the list.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
We start outlawing books, and we become no better than tyrannical and totalitarian governments who try to suppress knowledge.

I'd like to remind you, Former Minister, that Lord of the Rings would also not be published today, for various reasons.

YOU may think it's disgusting, but I'll tell you, as person who is neither Christian nor Jewish, I enjoy the poetry and stories in the Bible. I consider much of its contents among the greats of classical literature.

Arkholt

Non-vessel
I don't think that everyone would think everything in it was completely crazy. There are plenty of things in the Bible having to do with fair treatment of each other, and how people should act. Some of it could even be classified under "self-help." Perhaps if there were no religious traditions, all the stuff about God and such wouldn't be so popular, but that's not all that's in there.

J Bryson

When a government bans a book, that government has outright stated an inability to trust the intelligence and discernment of the majority of its subjects. No government that would do such a thing deserves to stand in the long run.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am sorry, but I don't believe in any kind of book burning, even if I don't agree with anything a book might say. I don't want the government telling me what I can read and what I can't read- that is the start of a police state or fascism.

Humanistheart

Suppose for one minute that the Bible has never been seen or heard of by a living being. One day the Bible appears in print and published as the truth by the author. How many people do you think would believe anything in it? It's only because of the belief of past generations who have passed this story on to us that some people believe it to be a true story. The Bible would be disregarded as trash if published today. Very few people would take it seriously because there is no proof to back up anything in it. It's the most disgusting, unbelievable and evil book ever published. It would be put on a shelf where children could not see it. I agree that it will never be outlawed but it should be.

It should definatly be illegal for children to pruchase or be read the bible. But outlawing all together would violate our civil liberties, which seem to get smaller and smaller all the time as it is.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
It should definatly be illegal for children to pruchase or be read the bible. But outlawing all together would violate our civil liberties, which seem to get smaller and smaller all the time as it is.

Then children should be forbidden from reading Grimm's Fairy Tales, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion, Dinotopia...

Speaking of which, during my days in Middle and High school, when I was much more easily swayed by what I read, there was actually a time when I ALMOST believed the island of Dinotopia to be real. Should children be forbidden from reading those books, then?

Children have the right to read whatever they want. And considering the enthusiasm children have for reading these days, it's even more important that they're not limited in any way.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Perhaps the Old Testament. Lots of violence and gore. :)

Oh, come on! I played Mortal Kombat and Doom when I was a kid (still love those games to death), I saw Jurassic Park in the theaters when I was 5 (still love that movie to death), and my dad showed me Terminator 2 when I was 8.

I turned out okay.

J Bryson

Most of my favorite childhood reading material (The aforementioned fairy tales, the works of Roald Dahl, various comic books) would have been banned under that idea. I've always been of the impression that children are far more resilient to that sort of thing that adults seem to think, and that behavior modeled by the parents along with a decent ethical structure can counteract unfortunate ideas picked up from the media.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The Bible would be disregarded as trash if published today. Very few people would take it seriously because there is no proof to back up anything in it. It's the most disgusting, unbelievable and evil book ever published. It would be put on a shelf where children could not see it. I agree that it will never be outlawed but it should be.
You have much to learn, about culture, and about the heights of the achievements of human civilization.
The Bible, that 'trash' you talk about, has inspired the best work of arts of the likes of Da Vinci, Michael Angelo, Salvador Dali, we would be denied some of the best and most mature music even in our times, like that of Leonard Cohen.

The need to 'back anything up' in the Bible, is the POV of a man who has not matured in his intellectual aspirations beyond a teen age mentality. much like the fundamentalist who looks for the infallible in every word and verse of the scriptures.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Yes, we should ban the bible.

Also, every other religious book.

Then, we should enroll everyone in reducation camps to correct their thoughts and institute new laws to punish anti-socials and other malcontents.

Heil future!