• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the military be able to advertise in our schools?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Should the military be able to advertise in our schools? This is the time of life that most teenagers are confused about life and trying to find themselves, is is appropriate for the military to be in our schools?

This group says "OUT!"

"Military Out of Our Schools"

What are your opinions?

robtex

Veteran Member
That is a great topic Becky!! I frubal you in a mintue for ante this up. I graduated from high school in 1987 and I can still rememer the Marine Corps recruiter at my school. SGT Zapata. He called me at the end of my freshman year of college to see how my schooling was going.

The reality is that a recruiter is working in a prioritory field with no buffer from competing organizations or efforts. Military service is a monopoly. Nobody comes in and gives the pros and cons of it. The recruiter comes in gives his pitch and there is no other pitches.

I specifically remember that my recruiter (I chose college instead) , talked about education, career opportunites, money, lodging, respect ect ect..but he didn't talk about war, death, life insurance, or any other negative aspsets of it. In addition, and in my case my parents wouldn't have cared either way, but my parents had no idea who SGT Zapata was or that he was even there. No letter went to the parents or anything. There is no check and balances.

I think there should be a check and balance. There should be a checklist they have to do to advertise in a school. They should for example:

1) have to notify parents before talking to the kids.
2) have to mention keys aspects like "war" "overseas" "possible death or injury"
3) have to talk only before or after school to the students and only on school property
4) have to be up front on demployment options before sighing on the kid.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think people should be shielded from controversal ideas, but I think opposing opinions should be encouraged for comparison.

robtex

Veteran Member
Seyorni said:
, but I think opposing opinions should be encouraged for comparison.

that is the issue I have with it. There really isn't an option for an opposing opinion but some checks and balances, as with any monopoly, should be in place.

Due to my age I haven't seen a recruiter in school in quite some time. Anybody younger have experience with that?

A

angellous_evangellous

beckysoup61 said:
Should the military be able to advertise in our schools?

Yes! That's kinda the point.

We have public schools so that kids can be educated just enough to hold a gun and fight for the country (if needed, of course). That's why we have the pledge every morning, feed them, and have sports in schools.

Kick 'em down the slide.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Sure, why not?

They allow religion to be taught in Church run schools, why not let the State promote it's agenda in the State run schools?

RevOxley_501

angellous_evangellous said:
Yes! That's kinda the point.

We have public schools so that kids can be educated just enough to hold a gun and fight for the country (if needed, of course). That's why we have the pledge every morning, feed them, and have sports in schools.

Kick 'em down the slide.

thats actually a good set of points there

Ðanisty

I think that if military recruiters are allowed to advertise in schools, it should be alongside other options like at a job fair. There's no reason that students shouldn't know about the opportunity of joining the military, but they should be exposed to all their options.

RevOxley_501

i can agree there danisty...but i think that the recruitment table should include pictures of something other than some proud soldier with his kids and family, or climbing a wall...

instead, they should show soldiers that are amputees, families celebrating holidays without mom and dad, and the results of schrapnell and bullets...

that way they dont go in it thinking they can respawn like they do in Battlefield 2

robtex

Veteran Member
Ðanisty said:
I think that if military recruiters are allowed to advertise in schools, it should be alongside other options like at a job fair. There's no reason that students shouldn't know about the opportunity of joining the military, but they should be exposed to all their options.

unfortunately that isn't in corporations best interest for two reasons:

1) companies that have something to gain by job fairs (aka not fast food or min wage) are looking for more experienced workers

2) nationalism is so high in the usa that "competing" against the military isn't a strong pr move.

Ðanisty

RevOxley_501 said:
i can agree there danisty...but i think that the recruitment table should include pictures of something other than some proud soldier with his kids and family, or climbing a wall...

instead, they should show soldiers that are amputees, families celebrating holidays without mom and dad, and the results of schrapnell and bullets...

that way they dont go in it thinking they can respawn like they do in Battlefield 2
I think what you're suggesting is pointless. People know about war and death and dismemberment already.

robtex said:
unfortunately that isn't in corporations best interest for two reasons:

1) companies that have something to gain by job fairs (aka not fast food or min wage) are looking for more experienced workers

2) nationalism is so high in the usa that "competing" against the military isn't a strong pr move.
Well, I don't know if this is really about what's best for corporations. It's not their decision whether or not the military is also advertising. What about colleges? Representatives from local colleges could also be there.

FatMan

The flip side to this is if you start limiting the number of places the military can recruit and it is effective, the Government will resort to compulsory involvement.

The Army will survive whether people support it or not. I'd rather have people willing to sign up with a recruiter than to have people unwilling to sign up who are forced to.

Booko

Deviled Hen
robtex said:
that is the issue I have with it. There really isn't an option for an opposing opinion but some checks and balances, as with any monopoly, should be in place.

Due to my age I haven't seen a recruiter in school in quite some time. Anybody younger have experience with that?

Yes, my kids have. Now, we have a Jr. ROTC programme at our HS, so it makes sense for recruiters to be there to support kids in that program.

And I don't have a problem with recruiters giving their pitch *once* and *with my express permission.* But that isn't what happens.

Imagine you were parents who belonged to a strictly pacifist religious tradition. The school allows your kids to be repeatedly "advertised to" by a group that is in obvious conflict with your religious beliefs. The presentations, as you say, contain only half the picture. You have zero control over when this happens or what the content is, and are not notified. There are no opposing views. These are impressionable minors who, in a short while, will be able to sign away years of their life and put themselves in danger without the parent being given an opportunity to oppose these viewpoints, because they don't know it's even going on unless the kids tell them.

How is this not stepping on those parents' prerogatives to raise their children according to their religion?

We're not talking about a classroom discussion on the merits of war here...this is something entirely different.

Now, being the parents we are and having the kids we do, this has not been a problem for us. We've always encouraged the kids to think for themselves, understand the nature of international conflict and possible means to deal with it. And we have specifically instructed the kids to, when confonted with recruiters, be polite and greet them, say "No thank you" and don't waste your time or theirs with further conversation.

I believe that recruitment for the armed services should be handled in the same way sex ed is here: You tell me exactly what you're gonna cover, and if I have objections, my kid will not be allowed to be there.

This way the recruiters will be able to continue to do their job, and there are many kids (and parents) who would welcome the information and opportunity. There's nothing wrong in serving your country, and a stint in the armed services has helped a lot of people into adulthood and/or given them a way out of poverty. I can't complain about *that*.

But those of us with moral objections don't have to have our kids being subjected to repeated attempts at advertising something that runs counter to the values we're trying to instill in our kids.

I think we can accomodate all views here.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Many schools in the UK have what is called the CCF ( combined cadet force)

This is voluntary and is attached to all the services.
when I was a Boy I joined the Air section and learnt to navigate and do meteorology.

During military service (compulsory) I chose to Join the Artillery, The Air force were not well pleased and chased for me to be transferred. But I had made my choice and that was that.

I have never heard any one say that schools should not offer an option to Join the Cadet force... after all it is up to the parents and child to accept or not.

However actual recruiting officers were not allowed in schools.

A

angellous_evangellous

RevOxley_501 said:

Not good marketing technique IMO.:no:

A

angellous_evangellous

angellous_evangellous said:
Not good marketing technique IMO.:no:

No more drill sargeant saying, "Your recruiter didn't tell you that, did they!!"

jmaster78

Terrywoodenpic said:
Many schools in the UK have what is called the CCF ( combined cadet force)

This is voluntary and is attached to all the services.
when I was a Boy I joined the Air section and learnt to navigate and do meteorology.

During military service (compulsory) I chose to Join the Artillery, The Air force were not well pleased and chased for me to be transferred. But I had made my choice and that was that.

I have never heard any one say that schools should not offer an option to Join the Cadet force... after all it is up to the parents and child to accept or not.

However actual recruiting officers were not allowed in schools.

I joined the sea cadets and learned to sail, canoe, powerboat, navigate etc etc. it was great fun and i made alot of friends, but there was never any serious attempt to steer me in the direction of a career in the armed forces. but then us brits don't have the same lust for war so we don't need as big an army, therefore don't have to go to such drastic lengths to recruit 'fresh blood' before the recruits are old enough to realise what they've done. not to sound patronizing to any 18 year olds reading this, but at that age is a person fully mentally developed enough or understanding the world enough to take on the responsibilities of a soldier, or does it even matter since the purpose of military training is to strip away their humanity, their ability to think for themself, their conscience, and become a robot, a killing machine. the severity of a soldiers duties does not reflect the criteria required to be one, and snatching them while they are still young, inexperienced, unsure of their future, is criminal, this may explain why so many soldiers are going awol, do these army recruiters visit all schools, even the private ones where senators send their children or do they stick to the state schools where they can reap the rewards of a poorer education system?

Ðanisty

jmaster78 said:
I joined the sea cadets and learned to sail, canoe, powerboat, navigate etc etc. it was great fun and i made alot of friends, but there was never any serious attempt to steer me in the direction of a career in the armed forces. but then us brits don't have the same lust for war so we don't need as big an army, therefore don't have to go to such drastic lengths to recruit 'fresh blood' before the recruits are old enough to realise what they've done. not to sound patronizing to any 18 year olds reading this, but at that age is a person fully mentally developed enough or understanding the world enough to take on the responsibilities of a soldier, or does it even matter since the purpose of military training is to strip away their humanity, their ability to think for themself, their conscience, and become a robot, a killing machine. the severity of a soldiers duties does not reflect the criteria required to be one, and snatching them while they are still young, inexperienced, unsure of their future, is criminal, this may explain why so many soldiers are going awol, do these army recruiters visit all schools, even the private ones where senators send their children or do they stick to the state schools where they can reap the rewards of a poorer education system?
No offense, but this is mostly crap. I don't know how you guys do it over there, but military training here does not strip away humanity and conscience to create killing machines. In fact, if that were the case, we wouldn't have anyone going awol. The military does need soldiers to be able to think. :yes: